"Live" scoring of Gust/Jones by yours truly!

Round 2: Hard round to score. Most notable moments were Gus' trip, Jone's 2 headkicks, and his barrel roll. 10-10

pretend you are a judge and that you cannot give out 10-10's almost ever.

who won the round?

10-10 is a cop out. not because it shouldn't be one in our perfect world, but because the reality is, the almost never happen.

yeah gus won round 4. at the very worst maybe you can give a 10-10. i wouldn't though.

When I watched it live I honestly had it 40-36 Gus going into the 5th. He got rocked late in the 4th, but being rocked and being "almost finished" is not the same thing.

Gus was rocked real bad, he was running from jones at the time of that shot and put on his running shoes.

You still haven't actually defended your stance. You have nothing.

LOL OK, buddy. I've said repeatedly Jones was the only one even close to finishing what was an otherwise extremely close fight. Yet some of you don't even want to give him the round where he landed the best blow of the fight and totally turned it around.

The rest of round 4 was another pretty tight round. I had Gus winning it until Jones landed that spinning elbow. He then landed the knee and had Gus staggering with Jones stalking. It totally changed the fight. It's like you guys are all saying, "who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?"

are u.. okay? judges can give 10-10 rounds.

http://mmadecisions.com/ten_ten_report.jsp

"Note: MMADecisions.com supports the use of the 10-10 round, or any judging system that better differentiates between very close rounds and rounds that were distinctly won by one fighter. Currently, 10-10 rounds are permitted under the Unified Rules, but judges are often dissuaded from using them by the overseeing commission."

They can but are asked not too.

LOL he wasn't tossed anywhere. He was pushed backwards, yes. You guys are acting as if it was Boetsch throwing David Heath down. Watch it again and see how Gus staggers back to his stool with Big John's hand at his waist. If you think he was so fresh he was throwing Jones around,why did he wilt for the rest of Round 5? The 4th was the only time either guy was even close to being finished. Jones was tired too but he was stalking Gus at the end of the round.

ibsHToK8Mskia3.gif

here are some gifs of him in the beginning of round 5, he is clearly wilting from all that pain he took in round 4.

3t0g9.gif

3t07h.gif

3t0ds.gif

3t08l_1.gif

3t073.gif

My gosh he was soooo beat up from round 4 that he was still feeling it in round 5 right? More like he got exhausted 3 minutes in to the last round of his first ever 5 round fight.

Last edited:
I re-watched again today and I had it as 48-47 jones but there's one thing that makes me give jones the nod and that's when he rocked gus in the 4th and made him go zombie mode in the 5th

When a fight is as close as this one I have to go with the guy closer to a finish which was jones in this case but again very close fight and I will pay $55 out of my pocket just to watch them fight again

Gus was rocked real bad, he was running from jones at the time of that shot and put on his running shoes.

orly? Did you even read any of these posts? Jones landed the Elbow in the fourth round, under a minute left. Whilst attacking a stunned, never dropped, Gus, he was jabbed, stuffed, and thrown.

Now you tell me,
How did Jones capitalize on his stunning, and very nice, spinning elbow?
And, how does that win you the round?

I re-watched again today and I had it as 48-47 jones but there's one thing that makes me give jones the nod and that's when he rocked gus in the 4th and made him go zombie mode in the 5th

When a fight is as close as this one I have to go with the guy closer to a finish which was jones in this case but again very close fight and I will pay $55 out of my pocket just to watch them fight again

But from a judging standpoint, how do you ignore the fact that Gus won 80% of that round.

He wasn't even dropped!

are u.. okay? judges can give 10-10 rounds.

of course they can.

how many have you seen this year? of the hundreds of UFC fights? times 3 judges per fight?

i think i've seen about 2. but i probably missed a couple.

but sherdoggers hand em out each fight. as if they are common.

but they're not common. they're extremely rare. that was my point; that there is - by definition - a disconnect between wishful thinking and reality.

of course they can.

how many have you seen this year? of the hundreds of UFC fights?

i think i've seen about 2. but i probably missed a couple.

but sherdoggers hand em out each fight.

so there is - by definition - a disconnect between wishful thinking and reality.

There was a draw for Edgar Maynard 2,

But there was a 10-8 round

Judges are stingy ass 10-10 haters.

But from a judging standpoint, how do you ignore the fact that Gus won 80% of that round.

He wasn't even dropped!

He didn't though. He was winning 80% of the way through the round, which isn't the same thing. He was only actually looking dominant for myabe 90 seconds of the round.

He didn't though. He was winning 80% of the way through the round, which isn't the same thing. He was only actually looking dominant for myabe 90 seconds of the round.

I think you're right that gus was only "dominant" for like 90 seconds of that round. However I do think he was still winning 80% of that round, just the first minute or two was slower.

orly? Did you even read any of these posts? Jones landed the Elbow in the fourth round, under a minute left. Whilst attacking a stunned, never dropped, Gus, he was jabbed, stuffed, and thrown.

Now you tell me,
How did Jones capitalize on his stunning, and very nice, spinning elbow?
And, how does that win you the round?

exactly. so many people can't score, why do i care tho really. gus won

Still don't get the impression that Gus was dominating 4 mins of round 4. I saw 2 1/2 mins. with neither solidly ahead/even. That followed by Gus pulling ahead and landing a few combinations. At that point he seems to have the round. Then the action slows down with stuffed shots and both men begin landing returning to the earlier tone of the round.

Gus is still ahead at that point and then Gus gets rocked/clearly hurt and that takes the lead for Jon for the round. You can argue Gus wasn't close to being finished and the round ended even/neutral after the barrage but the elbow, knee, follow up elbows, and flying knee were w/o a doubt the most significant offense of the round and arguably the fight.

Jon did steal the round but not 4 mins. balanced against 1 min. at all.

I've noticed that people sometimes get that impression from close striking rounds where one guy takes the lead halfway through, it becomes a round where it was suddenly all one-sided all along.

I scored it almost the same as you but had round 4 as the 10-10 and round 2 for Gus (or Jones, that round was really close).

LOL yeah. The only time in the fight either fighter looked like they might finish the fight and you still don't give it to Jones? That's pretty funny.

How does that one strike automatically negate the other 4 minutes where Gus was dominating the round? I knew Jones was going to win round 4, but felt Gus had an equally strong case for round 4.

How does that one strike automatically negate the other 4 minutes where Gus was dominating the round? I knew Jones was going to win round 4, but felt Gus had an equally strong case for round 4.

Probably because no one else but Gus fans and Jones haters felt he was dominating the round. I thought he was winning but it was far from a dominant round. I swear the way things get embellished on here is positively laughable. Just yesterday I was arguing with someone who felt Gus "tossed Jones down like a child" at the end of round 4. In reality Jones went for a kick, Gus grabbed the leg and pushed Jones down as he was off balance.

Back