"Live" scoring of Gust/Jones by yours truly!

Duxtape

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Watching it for the second time right now. Will post my scoring as I watch.

I had it for Jones when I first watched it, fyi.

i didn't score it on my first watch and thought it was a toss up, expecting jones to get the nod.

Second time i scored it 10-9, gus, 10-9 gus or 10-10, 10-9 gus, 10-9 jones, 10-9 jones or 10-10

Ya I had it
10-9 Gus
10-9 Gus could be 10-10 but I know judges don't like to score rounds even
10-9 Gus
10-9 Jones
10-9 Jones

So 48-47 Gus

Round 1: 10-9 for Gus. Jones landed some flashy spinning kicks and elbows, but Gus landed more solid punches overall. The take down also helped Gus score "points". Besides the accidental eyepoke, Jones didn't do much.

Round 2: Hard round to score. Most notable moments were Gus' trip, Jone's 2 headkicks, and his barrel roll. 10-10

I think you are going to score it like this:

1: Gus
2: Draw
3: Gus
4: Jones
5: Jones

Draw

Round 3: Jesus, another tough one to score. Gus was putting on better combinations and landing solid within the combos. Jones landed some solid shots as well (a spinning elbow and a nice body kick). Jones ended the round well, but I'm gonna go with Gus. 10-9.

I think you are going to score it like this:

1: Gus
2: Draw
3: Gus
4: Jones
5: Jones

Draw

Parallel to the other LHW FOTY:

1: Hendo
2: Hendo
3: Hendo
4: Shogun
5: Shogun 10-8

Draw

Round 4: The first view I had it for Jones (for obvious reasons). But Gus basically picked him apart the entire round except the last 40 seconds or so. Jones landed some OK shots throughout the round but really did his damage in the last seconds of the round. I don't think it was enough for him to steal the round, especially considering that he got stuffed even after having Gus hurt and even thrown to the ground like a sack of potatoes. 10-9 Gus.

When I watched it live I honestly had it 40-36 Gus going into the 5th. He got rocked late in the 4th, but being rocked and being "almost finished" is not the same thing.

49-46 Jones...you guys are nuts. Gus may have also won round 2 so 48-47 is not out of the question. Fight was fucking close though and I'd gladly watch a rematch.

I rewatched this fight too and had to give it to Jones, either 48-47 or 49-47. Close fight and I can see why there are differences of opinion.

Last edited:
Round 5: Crazy not to score it for Jones. 10-9 Jones. Gus did his best Street Fighter dizzy impression:
Balrog-dizzy.gif

So:
Gus
Draw
Gus
Gus
Jones

49-47 for Gus.
ROBBERY!!1!!!

jk

I think in the rematch, the keys to victory for each guy will be as follows:

Gus needs to be more aggressive and string longer combos together. There were a lot of times where when Jones got his he would literally be looking away. It was kind of weird to see a pro fighter react like that, but whatever.

Jones needs to work on his clinch work and work those take downs like a motherfucker. It's obvious Gus is faster and a better striker than him overall. He needs to work that take down game and top control to win the rematch.

But wtf do I know? lol

Round 5: Crazy not to score it for Jones. 10-9 Jones. Gus did his best Street Fighter dizzy impression:
Balrog-dizzy.gif

So:
Gus
Draw
Gus
Gus
Jones

49-47 for Gus.
ROBBERY!!1!!!

jk

I think in the rematch, the keys to victory for each guy will be as follows:

Gus needs to be more aggressive and string longer combos together. There were a lot of times where when Jones got his he would literally be looking away. It was kind of weird to see a pro fighter react like that, but whatever.

Jones needs to work on his clinch work and work those take downs like a motherfucker. It's obvious Gus is faster and a better striker than him overall. He needs to work that take down game and top control to win the rematch.

But wtf do I know? lol

So its safe to say you also disagree with the judge that had it:

Gus
Jones
Jones
Jones
Jones

That's just crazy to me.

Lol you gave gus round 4? Don't quit your day job

Round 2: Hard round to score. Most notable moments were Gus' trip, Jone's 2 headkicks, and his barrel roll. 10-10

Judges loathe scoring rounds 10-10. In a championship fight, with a round that close, it is most likely going to the champ.

Lol you gave gus round 4? Don't quit your day job

LOL yeah. The only time in the fight either fighter looked like they might finish the fight and you still don't give it to Jones? That's pretty funny.

So its safe to say you also disagree with the judge that had it:

Gus
Jones
Jones
Jones
Jones

That's just crazy to me.

Yeah, I disagree. But the thing is it's not that easy to score this fight because the rounds were so close and Jones was throwing a lot of flashy shit. I'm sure the judges gave him "style" points, haha. But Machida didn't get that round against Davis when he had him hurt, so it's kind of weird that everyone is saying Jones won round 4.

Back