Little tricks that make a huge difference

1) we are all humans: i think everybody who train and fight, comes to a point where you understand that no matter who they put against you, its another human. Not a demon or a Terminator.

When you understand (and really believe) that, you will also find out that you can do sparring against people way above your own skill level. As long as you just try to keep your head above the water and survive, you can train with monsters, and learn alot.

The "just human" thing will also help to set you free when you go into the ring to fight.

2) Fundamentals is to get you started: moving, punching, kicking, and blocking by the textbook, is good way to get some muscle memory into the beginners. But there come a time when its time to set yourself free to find your own way to move.

If you look at most fighters who are good strikers, they have their own way of moving. It get them into the state of flow.

If you and everybody you fight, only fight by the book, fitness and speed is the only thing that matters. And that would be super boring.

Distanse, footwork, and timing.. thats what important. Not how you pivot, or what angle the fist is turned during the punch.

Underrated post! Took me 10 years in the game to learn this. I took beatings I didnt have to in the gym when I was a teenager because I was trying to be "nice" and go "light" and be technical, ended up starting behbehind the eight ball, here I am throwing punches with an open hand in my glove and standing flat footed, meanwhile the guy across from me is throwing as hard and fast as he can LMAO.

I learned that its better to start every round high intesnity. I dont punch as hard as I can but I make sure that every round I start on my toes, moving my head and my defenses as fast as I can, because you NEVER know what the intentions of your partner is(unless you have a relationship with them).

I dont like sparring to KO each other. I rather do technical sparring, or what I call controlled hard sparring, where you go maybe 75% but you still pull power on the big shots, you still take the big shots, but you pull the power on them. This has been discussed on here before........anyways prior to the round starting I would always so go light, and guys would agree, and then 1 minute later be swinging for the fences, generally this is because guys would get furstrated with me, getting the better of them, while going light........that or they were so ignorant, they didnt realize I was playing with them while they were trying their hardest and assumed i was as well. But theres also guys that just like to spar hard, or thats all they know how to do. It has its time and place, but I am not a fan of it........i rather technical/shadow spar, or do controlled hard sparring.......i really dont think there is a need to do anything more than controlled hard sparring for the most part.

I would call this controlled hard sparring, notice they are still pulling power on the big shots, such as the straight knees, or hits to the face. still throwing them, still landing them, just not with full force. they might be going hard, but there is no intent to injure, hurt, or ko your partner.....because its practice, hard practice, but still practice.

Would you guys mind critiquing my technique? I would like to work on the little things I can't see myself. Please also state your experience. It is boxing for Muay Thai that is why my stance is the way it is. Here is the link

^^ about your hooks: pivoting is a tool that facilitates weight transfer but isn't imperative. What IS imperative for a solid punch is weight transfer. I say this because it looks that during your lead hook despite pivoting all your weight remains on the lead foot

check this out

and this, from 2:42 onwards

I dont like sparring to KO each other. I rather do technical sparring, or what I call controlled hard sparring, where you go maybe 75% but you still pull power on the big shots, you still take the big shots, but you pull the power on them. This has been discussed on here before........anyways prior to the round starting I would always so go light, and guys would agree, and then 1 minute later be swinging for the fences, generally this is because guys would get furstrated with me, getting the better of them, while going light........that or they were so ignorant, they didnt realize I was playing with them while they were trying their hardest and assumed i was as well. But theres also guys that just like to spar hard, or thats all they know how to do. It has its time and place, but I am not a fan of it........i rather technical/shadow spar, or do controlled hard sparring.......i really dont think there is a need to do anything more than controlled hard sparring for the most part.

I would call this controlled hard sparring, notice they are still pulling power on the big shots, such as the straight knees, or hits to the face. still throwing them, still landing them, just not with full force. they might be going hard, but there is no intent to injure, hurt, or ko your partner.....because its practice, hard practice, but still practice.

its crazy when guys want to go hard for kickboxing and Muay Thai sparring. You can smash the legs, blast the body, so why double down and beat up the head too? I don’t ever understand.

its crazy when guys want to go hard for kickboxing and Muay Thai sparring. You can smash the legs, blast the body, so why double down and beat up the head too? I don’t ever understand.

exactly, thats how we did it, hard to the body, but still pulled the power on the knees. That sitjaopho hard sparring video thread a while back is exactly how it should be done. Hard sparring/practice without the intent to hurt/injure/ko. Even with elbow pads man, I would throw the elbows light, cause clean ones cut, I have unintentionally cut a few people in sparring with the pads on. I still get noobs or intermediate guys that try and go hard on me, I usually just match their intensity, or whop them hard to the body a few times to get them to chill out but im too much of a nice guy.

Would you guys mind critiquing my technique? I would like to work on the little things I can't see myself. Please also state your experience. It is boxing for Muay Thai that is why my stance is the way it is. Here is the link

better than most on the forum and better than most that will critique you

1. you're probably gonna get a lot of bad advice from internet forums
2. you're probably gonna get a lot of bad advice from internet forums

^Especially from this guy. Why is he even here? Self-admittedly he has nothing to contribute.

There are legit trainers on this forum and trainees with experience and good insights. You can ascertain who the fools are and who the bleating attention whores are pretty quickly. If you can think critically, a picture will form and you can see the principles at work behind what works and doesn't, how it is structured and said. The dickheads are easy to spot because they speak in cliches-- everything they say is something they've copied and are unable to elaborate on. They have no breakdowns, only stale slogans and tired vague assertions. I'm not just talking about one post but a repeating pattern of a user's posts.

There's your little trick for navigating any technique advice forum.

in sparring, dont continue to take it easy on someone that is trying to go hard on you.

in sparring, if someone is much better than you, and trying to go hard on you, tell them to turn it down, if they do not, stop and tell them again, or stop and get a new sparring partner.

in sparring, when previously agreed to take it light, and 1 minute later the guy is going so hard hes grunting when trying to hit you, stop him and remind him about going light, if he continues to go hard, go hard on him, dont be nice and just match his intensity (this is if your higher skilled than him). Point being those are the types of dudes that would lay you out if they could. so do the same to them rather than be nice.
I agree with this.

As a big (and slow) guy it annoys me how many small (but good) guys think they can just take the piss in sparring and really bang as they know I'm not going to hit hard with them (and if I did I would be the bad guy).

shoving barbed wire in to boxing gloves aka the stinger
Damping the toiler paper you put on the knuckles when you wrap your hands so it becomes heavier and harder when the glove comes on.

Some ammys here got caught doing that, so they enforced it pretty hard after

^^ about your hooks: pivoting is a tool that facilitates weight transfer but isn't imperative. What IS imperative for a solid punch is weight transfer. I say this because it looks that during your lead hook despite pivoting all your weight remains on the lead foot

check this out

and this, from 2:42 onwards

thank you so much!

Some little tips:

pull the lead side back with the same intent as you turn the rear side forward while throwing rear hands/elbows. May increased your ROM and speed

Don't just step, but quickly/explosively push the ground the opposite direction that you're moving. Example: while retreating, push the ground forward with your lead foot

Feint directions with your head/eyes

When checking kicks, turn your shin into the direction that the kick is coming from. This makes the check go bone on bone so it hurts the kicker as much or more than it hurts you, and it helps keep you from getting spun around from the force of the kick and losing your balance.

Also helps you target the upper part of your shin towards their lower shin/foot.

Damping the toiler paper you put on the knuckles when you wrap your hands so it becomes heavier and harder when the glove comes on.

Some ammys here got caught doing that, so they enforced it pretty hard after

Margarito-Rios-making-fun-of-Freddie-Roach.gif

Back