Listen Up Green Tea Freaks

T

TX911

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Emara AM, El-Bahrawy H.
Department of Forensic Medicine and Clinical Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt. [email protected]

Workers exposed to benzene frequently suffer from toxicities of the bone marrow as well as the central nervous, immune, and reproductive systems. This toxicity most likely is a result of the oxidative ****bolism of benzene to reactive products. As green tea possesses antioxidant effects, the objective of this study was to examine any amelioration of benzene-induced oxidative stress in pump workers drinking 6 cups (150 ml/cup) of freshly prepared tea daily. Sixty male non-smoking subjects, divided into four groups: no benzene exposure/no green tea; no exposure/tea; exposure/no tea; and, exposure/tea, were monitored after a 6 mo period. On the final day of the study, urine samples were collected for analyses of benzene, trans-trans muconic acid, and phenol. Blood was also collected at this time; plasma was assayed for total antioxidant activity, malondialdehyde (MDA), and glutathione (GSH) while erythrocytes were analyzed for activity of antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase (GSHPX), superoxide dismutase (SOD), and catalase. The results demonstrated that urinary levels of benzene, trans-trans muconic acid, and phenol were elevated in all pump workers, and that this elevation was mitigated by consumption of green tea. The benzene exposures also led to significant reductions in plasma GSH levels and erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities; these effects were abrogated (to near-control levels) by the tea. Interestingly, among control subjects, tea ingestion itself caused significant increases in both GSHPX and catalase activities. Unlike with the other plasma parameters, while the benzene exposures also significantly increased plasma MDA levels and decreased total antioxidant activity, tea ingestion did not cause a near-total reversion to control values; the effects on these two endpoints were more like those noted with the urine parameters (mitigation, not abrogation). These studies demonstrate that drinking green tea during benzene exposure can reduce several parameters indicative of oxidative stress. As such, as a dietary supplement, green tea could represent a potential therapeutic agent in reducing certain aspects of benzene-induced toxicity.

PMID: 18382860 [PubMed - in process]

catalase-Catalase is an antioxidant enzyme. Catalase is a common enzyme found in living organisms that changes hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide is formed as a toxic waste product of ****bolism. It must be quickly converted into other, less dangerous, chemicals.

Glutathione - or L Glutathione - is a powerful antioxidant found within every cell. Glutathione plays a role in nutrient ****bolism, and regulation of cellular events (including gene expression, DNA and protein synthesis, cell growth, and immune response

I know most of you guys aren't around benzene all day, but that's not really the point. The point is that in the control group of non-benzene workers that were consuming green tea, anioxidant levels rose and alot of people have only heard anecdotal evidence as to the positive effects of green tea so here ya go. The mitigation of oxidative stress is especially important to me becaue i happen to suffer from floaters which alot of people say are a product of oxidative stress. And if that's not good enough for you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Lee SM, Kim CW, Kim JK, Shin HJ, Baik JH.
Green Tea Research Team, Food Research Institute, R&D Center, Amorepacific Corporation, 314-1 Bora-dong, Giheung-gu, Yongin-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.

The (-)-gallocatechin gallate (GCG) concentration in some tea beverages can account for as much as 50% of the total catechins, as a result of sterilization. The present study aims to examine the effects of GCG-rich tea catechins on hyperlipidemic rats and the mechanisms associated with regulating cholesterol ****bolism in the liver. By performing heat epimerization of (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), we manufactured a mixture of catechins that had a GCG content of approximately 50% (w/w). In sucrose-rich diet-induced hyperlipidemic rats, the GCG-rich tea catechins exhibited strong activity in reducing plasma cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations. Furthermore, the hepatic cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations that had increased as a result of the sucrose-rich diet were reduced due to GCG-rich tea catechins consumption. In order to investigate the hyperlipidemic mechanism of GCG-rich tea catechins, we examined the hepatic expressions of LDL receptor and HMG-CoA reductase in hyperlipidemic rats. We further evaluated the action of purified GCG on LDL receptor activity, which is a key contributor to the regulation of cholesterol concentrations. We found that purified GCG increased LDL receptor protein level and activity to a greater extent than EGCG. In conclusion, our study indicates that GCG-rich tea catechins in tea beverages may be effective in preventing hyperlipidemia by lowering plasma and hepatic cholesterol concentrations.
PMID: 18365267 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

this should be pretty self explanatory.

in summation, drink your fucking tea or DIE!

Drinking it right now, a little too concentrated this time though...

And mix it with rooibos tea, and put a bunch of lemon juice in it.

sweet, for a sec there I thought this study would find something against tea.

I like me some tizzle.

I like me some tizzle.

Yeah I entered this thread ready to attack someone, but was pleasantly surprised :).

Yeah I entered this thread ready to attack someone, but was pleasantly surprised :).

LMAO! Same here. As a matter of fact, I am also drinking some iced green tea :D

you wanna go son????

ult_war.jpg

anyone who drinks that piss watah is a fuckin' poosy!

sumone give me the cliff notes here lol?? i like green tea but im faliin asleep lol ill read it again tmmrw

I like me some tizzle.

Same

I thought the tide for green tea was going the other way

Mein gott! There's a tide of green tea? Where, man?!

Never doubt the power of green tea, except the stuff from China that is notorious for high levels of fluoride.

Jesus H Christ, they're only abstracts. Read 'em 100 times if you have to, but don't ask to be fucking spoon fed. Fuck I hate that!

*runs over and kicks orange belt in the *****

*hands mike a paper bag*

'just breath mike, just breath, the bad mans gone'

Back