Lion vs. Crocodile

Agree male lions can risk more because their pride will take care of them while they heal from injuries. However that's my point about male lions being more battle tested, the fight way more than tigers and that's not even debatable . A tiger is more cautious like you said and won't risk certain battles. That alone would put the tiger at a disadvantage against a male lion who has been battling since a cub.

I disagree depending on the situation -in the wild I think it would most likely result in a draw because the Tiger would look for a way out if it couldn’t get an advantage resulting in neither cat doing much.. in a controlled environment it would depend on the individual cats, there are more than a few ‘seasoned’ Tigers that could handle a Lion and vice versa.

It’s more of a draw than Tiger fans and Lion fans want to believe. Both cats have their advantages and disadvantages -Tigers are a bit larger on average and stronger (especially if we’re talking a big Siberian) Lions are more social and therefore scrap more because they’re around other cats more. Tigers take down and kill prey on their own making just about every one of their encounters life or death.. so depending on the cat, they could be more or less aggressive.

It just depends..

4a9c1e854fd4bd83bae4258de0076d5f.jpg
81c5bda72a923c9b2eba4d7499812e05.jpg
Take a close look at the pictures again. Notice there's a difference between the two animals standing up. The grizzly bear has more muscle mass and is stronger & quicker than an Asian sloth bear

This is like a Rampage /Vs Liddell style match and the grizzly bear is playing Rampage

Last edited:
I disagree depending on the situation -in the wild I think it would most likely result in a draw because the Tiger would look for a way out if it couldn’t get an advantage resulting in neither cat doing much.. in a controlled environment it would depend on the individual cats, there are more than a few ‘seasoned’ Tigers that could handle a Lion and vice versa.

It’s more of a draw than Tiger fans and Lion fans want to believe. Both cats have their advantages and disadvantages -Tigers are a bit larger on average and stronger (especially if we’re talking a big Siberian) Lions are more social and therefore scrap more because they’re around other cats more. Tigers take down and kill prey on their own making just about every one of their encounters life or death.. so depending on the cat, they could be more or less aggressive.

It just depends..

That's fair but you got to admit a male lion has to hold it down for the pride . He has to battle all other male on comers to secure the life of his offsprings and the control of the pride.

Has way more stress than the loner tiger who is pretty much the top of the food chain in the jungle.

A tiger can't beat up an male lions easily. Male lions face way harder predators in Africa compared to a tiger who has no natural enemy in jungle. This tiger had trouble with a small female bear...

As mentioned they had lion vs tiger fights like 150 years ago and the tiger won more often.

As mentioned they had lion vs tiger fights like 150 years ago and the tiger won more often.

Don't believe it due to watching that small bear give that tiger trouble. 150 yrs ago... Ya..

There's video...do a search.

Lol. I saw it . One of them was not even a fully developed lion. Was a young male. The barbarian lion the Greeks used were much bigger .

4a9c1e854fd4bd83bae4258de0076d5f.jpg

And while I don’t favor big cats Vs Bears.. it has been documented that Siberian’s have hunted and killed large Brown Bears in Russia.

0e86z062njk71.jpg

220px-Tiger_and_bear%2C_Arsenev_Regional_History_Museum_%28Vladivostok%2C_2004%29.jpg
My issue with the reports saying that siberian tigers prey on brown bears, is they never provide any context. What brown bears are they hunting? Healthy adult males, sick bears, calfs? How is it that it's 2023, we have footage of tigers hunting guar, rhinos, crocodiles, yet not a single recording of a tiger hunting even a small brown bear?

My issue with the reports saying that siberian tigers prey on brown bears, is they never provide any context. What brown bears are they hunting? Healthy adult males, sick bears, calfs? How is it that it's 2023, we have footage of tigers hunting guar, rhinos, crocodiles, yet not a single recording of a tiger hunting even a small brown bear?
Ambush hunters have an advantage. But there's also reports of brown bears killing tigers. The average male brown bear is bigger than any tiger that's ever lived and a tiger isn't going to offer it a fair fight, nor will a smaller female tiger try it's luck against a big brown bear. People like mythology and fairytales so oddball stories get told as if they were commonplace.

Barbary Lions still exist in captivity and were documented in the wild up until the 1960’s, they are not as large as Siberian’s.

According to most sources I’ve read, Siberian Tigers are the largest cats known to ever exist in the wild Smilodon for example was close in size but not bigger.

Ligers are technically the largest but they are basically a man made breed.

The argument on barbary lions that made them declared extinct iirc was that ones in the zoo are at best hybrids and often not even that
If we want take for good the weight they gave us for wild males back when they was'nt extinct they had ridicolous average weight

But if we want call bullshit (like i'm inclined to do for bunch of reasons) but still accept they was noticeable larger/heavier than subsaharian lions (wich used to be larger back then), wich is general consensus, i've no problem believe barbary lions were more or less the size of siberian/bengal tigers

About extinct species, bunch were heavier than modern siberian tigers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilodon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_tigris_soloensis
and probably this guy too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_spelaea

Wich is not much surprising considering in prehistoric times mammals on general used to be bigger

Exactly. And that video I posted of that small sloth bear giving that tiger alot of trouble.

Siberian Tigers in the wild can get up to 11 feet long and over 900 lbs. Keep in mind it's still a cat who has explosiveness and agility. Brown bears are still badasses though I think it's like 50/50. I imagine it's hard to get footage because no human wants to go to Siberia and find out.

The argument on barbary lions that made them declared extinct iirc was that ones in the zoo are at best hybrids and often not even that
If we want take for good the weight they gave us for wild males back when they was'nt extinct they had ridicolous average weight

But if we want call bullshit (like i'm inclined to do for bunch of reasons) but still accept they was noticeable larger/heavier than subsaharian lions (wich used to be larger back then), wich is general consensus, i've no problem believe barbary lions were more or less the size of siberian/bengal tigers

About extinct species, bunch were heavier than modern siberian tigers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilodon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_tigris_soloensis
and probably this guy too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_spelaea

Wich is not much surprising considering in prehistoric times mammals on general used to be bigger

Even those wiki’s you posted contradict one another tho -1says Smilodon weighed around 600 pounds another says 1000.. it’s hard to say going off of bones. That’s why many sources believe the Siberian is the largest. Biggest Siberian ever found in the wild was 800 plus pounds.. now that’s not the average, but it’s proof of how big they can get. Many have been recorded in the 600 pound range.

Ambush hunters have an advantage. But there's also reports of brown bears killing tigers. The average male brown bear is bigger than any tiger that's ever lived and a tiger isn't going to offer it a fair fight, nor will a smaller female tiger try it's luck against a big brown bear. People like mythology and fairytales so oddball stories get told as if they were commonplace.

Lev Kaplanov organized a study (in the 60’s I believe) where they observed Siberian’s (I think it’s called the Siberian project).. there were many documented encounters with Brown Bears during that time including disputes over food (kills). So, fights in other words. In 40 such recorded, 22 times it resulted in the death of a bear, 10 times the Tiger was killed and basically a draw the other few times.

So they can kill a full grown bear in a fight under the right circumstances.

Also, studies have been performed over the years on Siberian Tiger scat (shit) to determine their diet and Brown Bear is found quite frequently to be on their menu. On the flip side, Brown Bear scat has been studied and not found to contain Tiger remains. So, it’s interesting to note that they seem to hunt bears too.

Siberian Tigers in the wild can get up to 11 feet long and over 900 lbs. Keep in mind it's still a cat who has explosiveness and agility. Brown bears are still badasses though I think it's like 50/50. I imagine it's hard to get footage because no human wants to go to Siberia and find out.

900 is pushing it -biggest recorded in the wild was 800 plus. And Siberian’s have slowly started to get smaller over the years believe it or not and now are closer to the size of Bengals. Oddly enough the largest cat ever captured and recorded in the wild was a Bengal that weighed 850 plus.

As for observation, it’s harder with Tigers because their population is much smaller nowadays, their reclusive and hard to get footage of.. and yes, they live in really difficult environments to access.

Back