Light sparring

Gfreak

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ok, so I got some short videos from "sparring".

Unfortunately, I have 2 very shitty quality videos from my coach's phone texted to me.
and 1 very light sparring video i did after class with a guy just to get something on video. Although we were going much lighter. But i said i'd get some videos so I got SOMETHING. lol

This guy's a better boxer than me and was letting me work. He lit my ass up a lil bit more during the class.

The other 2 videos were against younger, newer guys and i was letting them work. And i'll have them up shortly.

Last edited:
The second and third video were you going hard and I liked the willingnes to fight for real it looked tough. The guy was running and you were angry chasing, both throwing full power.

The first video looked not advanced for me, to put it that way. Too slow too uncomited too pulled back to play . And the guy has got long swetapants on, is it winter ?

So those are my impressions

What is your motivation to do Boxing ?

I was definitely not going full power in any of the videos, I was pressuring the guy int he 2nd video more for sure. But still wasn't throwing at more than 75% or so.

And yea it's winter, it's January lol.

I do boxing for fun really, might take an amateur fight at some point. No real plans to go pro or anything.

I was definitely not going full power in any of the videos, I was pressuring the guy int he 2nd video more for sure. But still wasn't throwing at more than 75% or so.

I do boxing for fun really, might take an amateur fight at some point. No real plans to go pro or anything.

That's perfect. It's the best workout for me.

75% is close to full power , especially if you talk maximum power and not average regular shot. It was heavy, and the way he moved away the entire time.

You are not using angles.. this is boxing. It's too linear and one dimensional. . And it was too light to say anything more than that.

Imma be honest. I didn't watch video 1 & 2 because they were filmed on a potato.

Imma be honest. I didn't watch video 1 & 2 because they were filmed on a potato.
Yea, like i said they were filmed on my coaches phone and then texted to me. I didn't expect the quality to deteriorate that much lol

You are not using angles.. this is boxing. It's too linear and one dimensional. . And it was too light to say anything more than that.
I usually<{gspressed}> warm to your posts. Not this time.

I think it's important to get good @ what one needs to get good at. MMA talks about so & so cutting angles, doing angles, using angles... blah, blah. That's just armchair coaching w a beer in one hand.<28>

I'm trying out the boxing footwork demos now. Hate it right how. But recognize it's a big keystone in going forward.
BOXING FOOTWORK - BOXING FOR BEGINNERS
•Feb 23, 2018

cary williams

For me, this is too gallopy... not saying it's wrong. She actually impresses me. And very good explanations which are simple but direct & to the point. I feel very comfortable listening to her.

So I think it's fine to be linear. Be correctly linear, then branch out. But always be correct in the straight line action first base.<GOT2>

I'm watching the 1st video. Being @ square one, taking it step x step.

I'm gonna post a karate video next, pls. restrain yourselves from explosive impulses.
Female Kyokushin Karate Fight With Wheel Kick KNOCKOUT!
•Sep 29, 2014

Will, determination, patience, success

SUBSCRIBE
Female Kyokushin Karate Fight With Wheel Kick KNOCKOUT! There are many Essential Karate ko Moves you should find out when you initially get into Karate . You should state the fundamentals which causes the area development in this particular....

This idea that sparring makes the fighter is just ridiculous. As this video shows.

The sparring has to be directed at something. That much I know.

OP Video #1 imparts that flavor to me. Sparring working on certain skills.

Last edited:
I usually<{gspressed}> warm to your posts. Not this time.

I think it's important to get good @ what one needs to get good at. MMA talks about so & so cutting angles, doing angles, using angles... blah, blah. That's just armchair coaching w a beer in one hand.<28>

I'm trying out the boxing footwork demos now. Hate it right how. But recognize it's a big keystone in going forward.
BOXING FOOTWORK - BOXING FOR BEGINNERS
•Feb 23, 2018

cary williams

For me, this is too gallopy... not saying it's wrong. She actually impresses me. And very good explanations which are simple but direct & to the point. I feel very comfortable listening to her.

So I think it's fine to be linear. Be correctly linear, then branch out. But always be correct in the straight line action first base.<GOT2>

I like her legs. Okey voice. Nice hair.

Ok, so I got some short videos from "sparring".

Unfortunately, I have 2 very shitty quality videos from my coach's phone texted to me.
and 1 very light sparring video i did after class with a guy just to get something on video. Although we were going much lighter. But i said i'd get some videos so I got SOMETHING. lol

This guy's a better boxer than me and was letting me work. He lit my ass up a lil bit more during the class.

The other 2 videos were against younger, newer guys and i was letting them work. And i'll have them up shortly.

Really not bad! I don't see anything obviously wrong. The main suggestion would be to keep training. Quickness and timing (and conditioning) will continue to improve. I think as long as you have a coach steering you away from bad habits and giving good hints, you'll be good.

Vid 2 and 3 are unwatchable.

Vid 1 looks pretty good man! Nice to see you spar, it gives a completely different flow. I know the feeling. Looking pretty good and I like that you both have the pull backs, as well as the smothering. Just adds different layers to your game. I like the pull backs and attempts the rear uppercut counter, especially after getting him used to you staying head to head. One thing is that you're a little lax with that rear guard sometimes when you're in range to be hit. A few times the was slipping and rolling your jabs and if he had come up with a lead hook to the head you might have been caught. Second thing is, when you shoulder bump him and smother the distance, try taking a harder angle on him and use the lead hook or right hand. At 0:53 you angled out and used it well defensively (which is fine), but you could have taken advantage of him having to turn. You could also do a tyson hop step/switch in that position to set up the lead hand quickly, like this at the timestamp:

Just a few things if that's a position you like to work from.

Vid 2 and 3 are unwatchable.

Vid 1 looks pretty good man! Nice to see you spar, it gives a completely different flow. I know the feeling. Looking pretty good and I like that you both have the pull backs, as well as the smothering. Just adds different layers to your game. I like the pull backs and attempts the rear uppercut counter, especially after getting him used to you staying head to head. One thing is that you're a little lax with that rear guard sometimes when you're in range to be hit. A few times the was slipping and rolling your jabs and if he had come up with a lead hook to the head you might have been caught. Second thing is, when you shoulder bump him and smother the distance, try taking a harder angle on him and use the lead hook or right hand. At 0:53 you angled out and used it well defensively (which is fine), but you could have taken advantage of him having to turn. You could also do a tyson hop step/switch in that position to set up the lead hand quickly, like this at the timestamp:

Just a few things if that's a position you like to work from.

Tighten up my guard, work on taking angles more often. Got it, Yea watching the video I noticed when I shoulder bumped like that. If he had taken a hard angle off to his right when I came in, i'd be wide open. Is the trick to that to just angle off more myself to prevent that? or just keep my left hand up when i go in like that. I also have a tendency to lead with my head, and that ends in accidental head butts i've noticed when the other guy goes in with me lol. Is that just part of that game as well? Doesn't bother me really, but i don't like accidentally headbutting my partners nose lol.

Will definitely play around with those hop steps too, never really worked on them.

@Minowafanatic Thanks man; I got those gloves as a christmas gift for myself cause my others are 12oz fairtex. The 16oz top boxer's in the video are great, but they took a while to break in. Lots of thumb pain at first.

@Minowafanatic Thanks man; I got those gloves as a christmas gift for myself cause my others are 12oz fairtex. The 16oz top boxer's in the video are great, but they took a while to break in. Lots of thumb pain at first.
if they still aren't perfect, pop a tennis ball under the seam where the thumb meets the rest of the glove.. that should break them in quickly from new to feeling good for most people after a week; or if the issue is that the thumb was hitting the end of the compartment then, cloth pressed in tight there at the end to expand the leather is good

if they still aren't perfect, pop a tennis ball under the seam where the thumb meets the rest of the glove.. that should break them in quickly from new to feeling good for most people after a week; or if the issue is that the thumb was hitting the end of the compartment then, cloth pressed in tight there at the end to expand the leather is good

Yep that tennis ball thing is exactly what I did to fix it, still a lil stiff but it doesn't hurt to use anymore. They also have a TON of padding on the knuckles lol. More most other 16oz's that i've seen.

I like the way you were finishing your work with the jab to break up his counter attack. Looked classy. Watch getting too low when you move to the inside (once or twice you rolled dangerously low in the first clip) sano is right about the lazy rear guard hand though (it's a habit I have also, something to do with being big right hand punchers and moving well enough to get away with it) someone that is good at hooking off the jab could give you few problems. How long have you been boxing for? Your starting to look pretty damn good.

I would prefer to see you bring your jab back on a higher line also. But again I do the exact same thing so who am I to criticize.

Back