Light sparring

You are not using angles.. this is boxing. It's too linear and one dimensional. . And it was too light to say anything more than that.
Please explain, what the fuck is an "angle" in boxing. Seemed to be moving around pretty well to me. But what would I know, I have only boxed for nearly twenty years. How and were should he be stepping at these elusive "angles". Angles seemed to be as over parroted by people that don't know what their talking as "keep your guard up" and pivot your hip into it. Nothings is more annoying than someone that doesn't know shit yelling "angles" at someone that knows even less.
An angle relative to what? Should he be stepping back to the right more? Stepping in too the left more and then roll under the right hand pivoting to the left? Angles to fucking what. If you want angles I have a mitre box for ya.

I appreciate the tips man.

So, how long i've been "boxing". I've only had a boxing coach for the last 5-6 months or so, seeing him maybe 3 times a month on average. So just that time for practicing pure boxing.

I've been doing martial arts though for a little over 10 years. Mainly BJJ and Kuk Sool,teaching for the last 5 of that. With on and off kickboxing/muay thai for the first few years before i switched gyms.

And yea i definitely saw a few openings where he could've cracked me if we were going harder. If i'm not mistaken, this guy is looking at having his pro debut soon.

And i know you're shitting on spacetime's angle comment lol. But I did notice that if I had stepped off to the right a bit after jabbing i could've had good opportunities to throw the right. I've noticed i'm hesitant to throw combos from range for some reason as well. Took worried about eating a counter when I throw my right hand if i'm not in close. Gotta work on that as well.

Last edited:

Here's the last round I did tonight.
I'm not gonna lie, I felt like shit going into class tonight. And I looked like shit when i sparred lol. But i'm not here to just post the videos i felt i did good in, so here it is.

I appreciate the tips man.

So, how long i've been "boxing". I've only had a boxing coach for the last 5-6 months or so, seeing him maybe 3 times a month on average. So just that time for practicing pure boxing.

I've been doing martial arts though for a little over 10 years. Mainly BJJ and Kuk Sool,teaching for the last 5 of that. With on and off kickboxing/muay thai for the first few years before i switched gyms.

And yea i definitely saw a few openings where he could've cracked me if we were going harder. If i'm not mistaken, this guy is looking at having his pro debut soon.

And i know you're shitting on spacetime's angle comment lol. But I did notice that if I had stepped off to the right a bit after jabbing i could've had good opportunities to throw the right. I've noticed i'm hesitant to throw combos from range for some reason as well. Took worried about eating a counter when I throw my right hand if i'm not in close. Gotta work on that as well.
Nothing wrong with being a bit conservative with the shots when your at range, personally I don't like opening my guard up unless I think I can get a damaging shot off. Your right though, a few more combos at range and stepping off the jab a bit more could have created more punching opportunities for the right.

Here's the last round I did tonight.
I'm not gonna lie, I felt like shit going into class tonight. And I looked like shit when i sparred lol. But i'm not here to just post the videos i felt i did good in, so here it is.

Wasn't that bad. I blame the pesky bloody southpaw. I actually really like the way you move but your coach was giving good advice at the end saying to keep your eyes on the target. If I was cornering you and that was a fight (Not talking technique) I would be screaming at you to jab more. You need to jab your way in, parry his jab with your right and counter with a straight right to the body, followed by the left hook up stairs. Once that is working switch it up to the right to the head and the left hook to the body. You really need to draw a lead and counter when your fighting someone with superior reach and footwork, you did land a few nice counter rights.

If you’re feeling worried about opening up that doesn’t mean your first thought should be to open up more there is probably a reason for why you feel the way you do.

If you’re putting pressure on the guy level changes are great as well and they will give you great opportunities to land the right and uppercuts.
The biggest lead uppercut i ever landed was after a level change while I was pressing the guy close to the ropes he thought the punch would be lower then it was and he basically put his force right into my fist. I didn’t even throw the punch hard but it took the dude off his feet. That was also how I saw one of the nastiest lead uppercuts in person. A guy did a similar thing and split the other guys roof of his mouth open with a mouth guard in and 16s on while sparring. The guy that threw the punch talked about how when he hit the dude he could feel the guys tooth reverberate all the way down his arm into his elbow :eek:

So yea fucks with some level changes playa

Wasn't that bad. I blame the pesky bloody southpaw. I actually really like the way you move but your coach was giving good advice at the end saying to keep your eyes on the target. If I was cornering you and that was a fight (Not talking technique) I would be screaming at you to jab more. You need to jab your way in, parry his jab with your right and counter with a straight right to the body, followed by the left hook up stairs. Once that is working switch it up to the right to the head and the left hook to the body. You really need to draw a lead and counter when your fighting someone with superior reach and footwork, you did land a few nice counter rights.

that is true that I wasn't used to the southpaw, but yea. I saw a lot of things I should've done differently. But didn't have the energy to throw more than 1-2 punches at a time lol. I definitely had some opportunities to open up more after i landed a couple of those jabs towards the end.

@zapataxiv And yea I get what you mean, but there's definitely moments where I should just let it fly and I don't. Am definitely working on level changes and inside fighting as well atm. The lead uppercut's not something I throw very often either so i'll work on that too.

that is true that I wasn't used to the southpaw, but yea. I saw a lot of things I should've done differently. But didn't have the energy to throw more than 1-2 punches at a time lol. I definitely had some opportunities to open up more after i landed a couple of those jabs towards the end.

@zapataxiv And yea I get what you mean, but there's definitely moments where I should just let it fly and I don't. Am definitely working on level changes and inside fighting as well atm. The lead uppercut's not something I throw very often either so i'll work on that too.
The lead uppercut is a great punch, but is dangerous if throw out of position. If your going to use it make sure to set it up with something and don't wing it from the outside.

Back