Lifting with forearm tendonitis?

faustian

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So after some google diagnosing I'm pretty sure I've got mild tendonitis in my left forearm. I know that rules out biceps curls for a while but I was wondering if I could still do movements to hit my back, chest and shoulders without further aggravating the tendonitis, and which movements these would be exactly. Anyone been through this and willing to offer some suggestions?

You need to be more specific as there are many muscles within your forearm that move the elbow and wrist. I had tendonitis in my brachioradialis for a bout a year so back training was kind tricky, but there are plenty variations that don't include any elbow flexion......but I can't really make recommendations unless you're better able to pinpoint which movements/muscles are involved that trigger your symptoms.

That's like saying, "My thigh hurts, what should I do?"

So after some google diagnosing I'm pretty sure I've got mild tendonitis in my left forearm. I know that rules out biceps curls for a while but I was wondering if I could still do movements to hit my back, chest and shoulders without further aggravating the tendonitis, and which movements these would be exactly. Anyone been through this and willing to offer some suggestions?
the best way to combat tendonitis is to treat it with light, slow eccentrics. So if curls are bothering you, do them with a much lighter weight in a very slow and controlled motion. Avoiding usage will temporarily heal it but it will just be reinjured upon use.

I've got the same problem in my right arm now, had it about a month. Key to keep doing back work, deadlifts, etc... is to use weight lifting straps. I'm against straps when healthy, but when you can't even grip anything due to the tendon pain, the straps make it much better. I did dead lifts today and had 0 issues. I was probably using 40% of my grip to hold the bar vs 100% without the straps. So that's the way to go until you are healed.

As for curls? gotta use the light weights, slow and steady, get a pump in the muscle but that will have to satisfy you until you can go back to lifting heavy.

Get it diagnosed by a pro; a doctor or sport's physiotherapist. I've just been diagnosed with Tennis Elbow. The advice I've been given is to invest in a good pair of Elbow Sleeves and drop the volume in pressing exercises.

Don't lift anything and go to the doctor.
If you continue usual workload with unhealed tendonitis outcome might be bad for long term.

I actually had tightness thatd affect my lifts. Doing reps of pull ups were out. My masseuse friend was lifting and I was watching him one day.

I brought it up to him, he massaged my forearms and I immediately was able to rep pull ups, etc. It was overuse and inflexible.

I have chronic golfers elbow and have been battling it for three years. Mine initially came from working as a mason, there was a month long period where I was splitting stone all day swinging a 20lb maul, then an improper squat grip really fucked it up good.

The flexbar works pretty good actually, and slow eccentric hammer curls made mine feel a little better.

Mark rippetoe has a “pin firing” system which is if I remember correctly 20 sets of 2 reps Chinups with 90 second breaks in between. It hurts like absolute hell and I only did it once so idk if it works but it didn’t necessarily make mine worse from one time.

Lastly, peptide shots seem like a good option if you can afford them, I’m getting them next time it gets really bad because this shit can be brutal

you guys tried flossing? guys in my gym benefit from just stretching a lot. if you can't eliminate the cause of the irritation, it is hard to get rid of this. you really have to stretch daily. once or twice a week is almost useless. most people i train are just too fucking lazy to do something every day. if you work masonry, that's another story.

get well

you guys tried flossing? guys in my gym benefit from just stretching a lot. if you can't eliminate the cause of the irritation, it is hard to get rid of this. you really have to stretch daily. once or twice a week is almost useless. most people i train are just too fucking lazy to do something every day. if you work masonry, that's another story.

get well
I have some bands I try to floss with and it brings some relief for sure. It’s a bitch to do by myself, mostly because I bought knockoff bands and they slip easily making it hard to put on and stay. But flossing does seem to help somewhat. What type of stretches do you recommend

I have some bands I try to floss with and it brings some relief for sure. It’s a bitch to do by myself, mostly because I bought knockoff bands and they slip easily making it hard to put on and stay. But flossing does seem to help somewhat. What type of stretches do you recommend
just simple flexion and extension of the wrist.
t-dehngolfk.jpg
t4k.jpg

warm up in the morning&before work and throughout the day like this for example. it does not take long:

doing something daily is crucial

just simple flexion and extension of the wrist.
t-dehngolfk.jpg
t4k.jpg

warm up in the morning&before work and throughout the day like this for example. it does not take long:

doing something daily is crucial

Thank you! I realized the laziness of my question after I posted it. I will absolutely give this a shot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back