Lifting with Chains

fat_wilhelm

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Who lifts w/ chains? (Carnal, I presume) If you do use chains, have they triggered significant strength results? What is the proper way to incorporate chains? If I'm doing bench press, for instance, would I go about my typical unchained sets, then add the chains for a few more or should I dedicate my bench press one week to only using chains?

Any advice would be appreciated... methods, frequency of use, etc.

My gym doesn't have a set, but I'm thinking about heading to Home Depot to make my own and store them there. I just wanted to get some feedback before I headed off in that direction.

All these strongmen and nobody's used chains? I don't believe it. Respond, dammit.

Shows to go you, chains are icing on the cake. to my knowledge, carnal DOESN'T use them. One of the few people around who might is entropy. I've never used them, but I don't think I qualify as strong. IMO, until you get a wilks of 300 (preferably 350), stick with resistance in plate form. Even past that you can make great gains without the use of chains or bands.

My son lifts with chains the way he uses them is more of a plyo exercise, the chains rest half of their weight on the floor at the bottom of his bench/squat allowing him to accelerate the bar and add resistance as the chains are lifted off the floor.He also uses them to help break through plateaus by resting more than half of the weight of the chains at the bottom but making the weight of the plates and chains more than his normal lifting weight at the top of the lift.

icedog11 said:
My son lifts with chains the way he uses them is more of a plyo exercise, the chains rest half of their weight on the floor at the bottom of his bench/squat allowing him to accelerate the bar and add resistance as the chains are lifted off the floor.He also uses them to help break through plateaus by resting more than half of the weight of the chains at the bottom but making the weight of the plates and chains more than his normal lifting weight at the top of the lift.

Yup -- that's exactly what i'm talking about, Icedog.

Urban, are you just talking about a single lift Wilks? You must be. I'd have to bench 560 at 208 bw to get a 350 Wilks. Christ, if that's what strong is, I'm going to be a lowly weakling the rest of my life. Anyhow, I already hit the hardware store and picked up a couple lengths of 1/2" chain, so I'm gonna give it a go.

Something different, anyways.

no, just a wilks total. Seems a bit strange to you I'm sure (given your numbers), but something as low as 300-350 still hasn't been attained by most people here (myself in included... *blushes*

Urban said:
IMO, until you get a wilks of 300 (preferably 350), stick with resistance in plate form. Even past that you can make great gains without the use of chains or bands.

Good lord Urban, a 250 pound guy would have to bench 515 to hit a wilks of 300. Are you serious to lay off the chains forever (I say forever because my weak ass will not be benching 515 without some cosmic rays giving me super powers)... [Sadly that 250 is my goal weight when I ditch the rest of my gut...]

Urban said:
no, just a wilks total. Seems a bit strange to you I'm sure (given your numbers), but something as low as 300-350 still hasn't been attained by most people here (myself in included... *blushes*

Yeah, but you can do a pistol w/ 20 lbs, and I can't do one good body weight pistol without falling over... *blushes back*. I've been working the overhead squats lately, per your suggestion, to try to help w/ that whole balance/flexibility thing. Still, I can't even do those real well w/o getting on my toes.

Anyhow, I'm glad you meant "total".

I, for one, would love to play with chains. By all accounts, they're a good tool to teach compensatory acceleration. You can also specifically tailor them to engage right at your sticking points. Sure, they're a peripheral item. Sure, it's easy to get caught up in the bullshit and forget to lift heavy. But I don't think you're going to hurt your progress by including them in your routine. You might even learn something new.

I say go for it.

Is the deadlift an appropriate movement to incorporate chain usage?

Chad Hamilton said:
Is the deadlift an appropriate movement to incorporate chain usage?

Yes, they are commonly used in any of the three powerlifting movements.

Fat wilhelm go to an out-door store or climbing gym and get a carabiner(sp) to make adjusting chain length easy.Climbing gym(hot here)= great body weight work out!

They are however, rather difficult to set up for the deadlift.

Chains are a toy, just like bands. They aren't nearly as effective as they're sold to be, but they're useful training tools.

If you want one more screwdriver in your strength toolbox, go for it. If you think you're gonna get some super-tool, think again.

Keep in mind guys, articles written by the WSB guys (especially Tate) are inherently tainted due to their monitary interest in you following their advice (most people will get bands, if not chains, from Elite). Same thing with the RH and GHR. The RH is next to useless, but they put a 1000 tag on it, lied and said they used it constantly, and made a bundle.

CarnalSalvation said:
They are however, rather difficult to set up for the deadlift.

Chains are a toy, just like bands. They aren't nearly as effective as they're sold to be, but they're useful training tools.

If you want one more screwdriver in your strength toolbox, go for it. If you think you're gonna get some super-tool, think again.

Keep in mind guys, articles written by the WSB guys (especially Tate) are inherently tainted due to their monitary interest in you following their advice (most people will get bands, if not chains, from Elite). Same thing with the RH and GHR. The RH is next to useless, but they put a 1000 tag on it, lied and said they used it constantly, and made a bundle.

I hear ya. In fifteen years, I have yet to find any sort of super-tool, so I'm not expecting much. I'll just use it as a way to mix it up from time to time and get what I can out of it. I made my own today since I didn't feel right paying big $$ for a couple lengths of chain. I could only find 1/2" locally, but hey, that'll be good enough for now.

Forgive my ignorance -- I'm sure this will be blatantly obvious when you answer -- but what are the RH and GHR that WSB sells. Me not so good with the acronyms right now.

Reverse hyper and glute ham raise.

I like the GHR, although it's also no magic device, but I think the RH is/was a useless fad for the most part.

fat_wilhelm said:
I hear ya. In fifteen years, I have yet to find any sort of super-tool
It has taken me decades of painstaking research and designing... but I have designed the supertool we have all sought. The key to your success in the weight room. I give you... THE PLATE LOADED BARBELL!!!

barbell.gif

You stole my joke.

You are a goddamn plagerist. That's right mang, I said it.

First you steal the hose clamp idea, then my joke, I'm seeing a pattern.

Urban said:
It has taken me decades of painstaking research and designing... but I have designed the supertool we have all sought. The key to your success in the weight room. I give you... THE PLATE LOADED BARBELL!!!

barbell.gif

LOL :D

Back