Lifting weights with damaged shoulder

Terry Longshot

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys! Do you have any tips on how to train with a damaged shoulder?
I damaged five (I think) muscle joints in my should when I got locked in a keylock about 4 or 5 years ago.
Anyway, evertime I try to max out my lifts, a couple of hours later my shoulder hurts as hell. :icon_evil
Should I just go straight away to a doctor to check it out or do you guys have any tips on lifting that won't damage my shoulder?

ps. sorry if this is the wrong place to post on.

Before anyone else asks:
Do you lift on a regular basis?
What do you mean by maxing out? 1 rep?
What lifts?

But you have been to a doc with shoulder when you injured it, werent you?

me not

i couldn't do benchpress anymore so switched ti incline dumbbell benchpress and it didn't hurt, that was 2-3 years ago

u can try to train your rotator cuffs

Yeah, I just started lifting on a regular basis.
Maxing out, yeah I first did two sets of 5 reps, then the last set I tried raising the weight to do one rep.

I've been to a doctor just after I damaged the shoulder but I haven't had a check up since then.
I was thinking about it and maybe it's better to do more reps on lower weights to get stronger muscle joints before I start to lift heavy lifts again?

Terry Longshot said:
Yeah, I just started lifting on a regular basis.
Maxing out, yeah I first did two sets of 5 reps, then the last set I tried raising the weight to do one rep.

I've been to a doctor just after I damaged the shoulder but I haven't had a check up since then.
I was thinking about it and maybe it's better to do more reps on lower weights to get stronger muscle joints before I start to lift heavy lifts again?

Im no expert but I

Lard-ass, thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I train.
Is your shoulder good now or do you still feel it when you lift heavy?

tore my rotaor cuff about 8 months ago, rested it for a couple of weeks and started training again. it hurt at first!! but after a while i forgot about it and it dont hurt at all now, now i think i tore my other shoulder, lol bastard!!

Groin striker, ouch, that's bad luck.
I think it'll be fine with my shoulder if I just go easy on it for the first couple of months, im planning on going about 12 weeks without increasing anything, just doing more reps with lower weights and after that I can start to increasy slowly.

Terry Longshot said:
Hi guys! Do you have any tips on how to train with a damaged shoulder?
I damaged five (I think) muscle joints in my should when I got locked in a keylock about 4 or 5 years ago.
Anyway, evertime I try to max out my lifts, a couple of hours later my shoulder hurts as hell. :icon_evil
Should I just go straight away to a doctor to check it out or do you guys have any tips on lifting that won't damage my shoulder?

ps. sorry if this is the wrong place to post on.

SEE A PHYSICAL THERAPIST

I've torn my rotator cuff and fractured one of my vertebrae. In both cases I thought I was Heman and didn't see a doctor. Years later, still in pain, my wife talked me into seeing a physical therapist. They will make you hurt, no question about it. It will be hard work and it will take time (2-3 months), but if you want to get your range of motion back and get rid of the pain, get refered to a PT as soon as possible.

My shoulder was so bad, I couldn't throw a baseball past my shoelaces for about 6 months. Now I can knock down a batter, no problem. I fractured my back snowboarding (worst pain of my life) in 1997. I waited until 2005 to finally see a PT because I couldn't stand the discomfort any longer. Don't make the same mistake I did.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR MIND AND YOUR BODY, THEY"RE THE ONLY THINGS YOU REALLY OWN!

I saw one just after the accident and he told me it should get better. I am going back to my hometown soon though, so maybe I should see the same PT then so he can have a look at it again, might be good.

Thanks for the input everyone! :)

Back