Lifting Twice a Day

Eug

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to know what other people's experiences have been lifting weights twice a day. Specifically, do you train the same muscle in both sessions or do you target different muscle groups for the two sessions. I am interested in trying this because from people that I have talked to they said they have made significant strenght gains. Want some feedback from people that have tried this.

It depends on the intensity and purpose of the sessions. If you squat max effort first thing in the morning, you sure as hell shouldn't go balls to the wall with deadlifts that evening. Most sources I've heard say you should have about 72 hours between heavy, intense strength training sessions.

You may find, however, that you can make good progress by having small, specific workouts through the week. Coaches like Louie Simmons demand them. You could use these sessions to work a specific weakness of yours (like triceps) without doing movements which tax your CNS (like max effort benches). You could also use them for grip and abs and whatnot. You just have to be careful not to overtrain; it takes a lot of planning.

I think the general rule, though, is that you should have at least four hours after strength training sessions (the longer the better) and at least eight hours after intense cardio sessions (again, the longer the better).

Hulk has it right.

Before I go any further, let me say that training twice a day is a really easy way to get hurt for a novice, or even an advanced lifter if you don't handle it properly. I got carried away with pulling twice a day, which eventually contributed to a serious back injury.

If you train twice a day I advise one of two strategies:

1. Train heavy both sessions, but with low volume. No more than three exercises per workout. This approach has many advantages in some respects. It allows for much heavier loads to be used. Doing shrugs 1.5 hours after deads, you will shrug way more than if you were doing them .5 hours after deads. In the downtime between sessions, eat, take a contrast shower, apply heat to the stressed areas etc.
2. Make the second workout an "extra workout" as Hulk mentioned. These are done to increase general conditioning and to bring up weak muscles with extra volume. They are also used to speed up recovery. Say you bench in the AM, in the PM you might train abs/obliques and grip, do some light tricep work for extra volume there, then some 20 rep powersnatches for conditioning.

Just proceed carefully if you choose to train twice a day. And before you DO train twice a day ask: Is it necessary? and What will I attain from this?

It is relative to your condition and the intensity you'll be using for the workouts.

I think you should stick to one workout a day and go hard. If you do this, you wont need two workouts and your body can begin to recover sooner.

HA-Y-N Pitbull said:
I think you should stick to one workout a day and go hard. If you do this, you wont need two workouts and your body can begin to recover sooner.

I agree. Keep it simple and hard. Plus, how the hell does anyone find the time to lift twice a day? Jealous, I am, if you have it.

HA-Y-N Pitbull said:

That's a pretty silly rule to make.

There are a lot of good reasons to have brief, secondary workouts spaced out during the week. If you've got the time, you're recovering well, and you've planned it out effectively, you can make a lot of good progress this way.

Depending on what else you have going on in your life, you can limit yourself quite a bit by thinking "if I work hard enough once, I won't need two workouts."

Back