Lifting Head While Benching

stlboarder

White Belt
Reaction score
Today in the gym some guy tried to correct me because he said I was lifting my head up when I would bench. I've never heard of this being a bad/good thing. Is there any truth to what he said?

Only if lifting your head causes you to lose your arch, which it can easily do. If you can maintain your arch then don't worry about it.

Some powerlifting federations have rules against lifting your head. It's not a big deal if you're not competing in one of those federations.

He was trying to say it pulls on your neck. But I've always lifted like that for years and never had a problem. I don't compete so I won't worry about it. Thanks.

Only if lifting your head causes you to lose your arch, which it can easily do. If you can maintain your arch then don't worry about it.

Right.

If you stay on your traps and keep everything tight, no issue with it.

It's most often something I see with shirted benchers though.

He was trying to say it pulls on your neck. But I've always lifted like that for years and never had a problem. I don't compete so I won't worry about it. Thanks.

Pick up a 25lb plate and crack him a good one and tell him to fuck off and mind his own business, then glare around at the rest of the gym, and tell them that it goes for all those fuckers too. Then lay back and bench like you have. You're doing fine.

Pick up a 25lb plate and crack him a good one and tell him to fuck off and mind his own business, then glare around at the rest of the gym, and tell them that it goes for all those fuckers too. Then lay back and bench like you have. You're doing fine.

This is why Hunto lifts at home.

Yeah no shit, if you can deadlift, lifting your head off the bench sure as FUCK isn't gonna strain your neck.

Just use the old standard:

Some guy: "You're doing that wrong. You're going to hurt yourself."
You: "I'm not worried about it. My grandfather lived to be 100 years old."
Some guy: "Did he raise his head on the bench press?"
You: "No, he minded his own fucking business."

Just use the old standard:

lol I'll remember that for next time.

Thanks guys.

This never gets old.

Honestly, I'm liking this forum more and more as time goes on. Hunto's reply was probably #1 in my book. *laughing*

A lot of shirted benchers do it because it changes the shirt tension.

aren't you suppose to keep your elbows and chin tucked? so if your chin is tucked then your lifting your head

I don't know... I just do what is comfortable for me and it feels weird for me to lay my head down.

Back