Lifting for striking in general?

What....? FYI: Roy Jones Jr. in his prime (about 6yrs ago) bench pressed close to 305pds! Still have the article from an old sports illustrated. I am guessing you think he had slow hands? Shit......... wish my hands were that slow! Somebody lied to you!

umm... well no. how much does roy jones weigh? 180? 305 isnt very much for an elite athlete that weighs 180+. i think that the technique of bench pressing can interfere with punching technique. i also think that benching works the wrong muscles. i also think it can cause tightening in the chest area and be detrimental to speed. will benching by itself kill your boxing? no. can doing bench to much be detrimental to a boxer? yes. are there better lifts for boxers? yes. im not telling you to run away from bench, but i am saying dont do too much of it.

umm... well no. how much does roy jones weigh? 180? 305 isnt very much for an elite athlete that weighs 180+. i think that the technique of bench pressing can interfere with punching technique. i also think that benching works the wrong muscles. i also think it can cause tightening in the chest area and be detrimental to speed. will benching by itself kill your boxing? no. can doing bench to much be detrimental to a boxer? yes. are there better lifts for boxers? yes. im not telling you to run away from bench, but i am saying dont do too much of it.

Weight lifting does not harm speed, it can help make you more explosive and powerful.
The only time ive had a doctor say lifting heavy was not good was when i was in jiu jitsu and because i frequently did heavy deadlifts and squats, i found after jits my hips hurt like fuck.
Because of muscle strength and tightness. Chest however ive found the reverse it has helped with overall strength of punches as well as strength in alot of areas grappling.

Punching power generally comes from your technique, the twist through your hips, and driving the force through your arm to your fist into someones face, the stronger your muscles are the better control you have over the force being thrown and it can add a little more speed to your punch up to a point and then i believe its a diminishing marginal return. Also if someone is 180lbs and he benchs over 300 that is very impressive.

u should just incorporate lifting into your plyometrics routines and get the best of both worlds!

Weight lifting does not harm speed, it can help make you more explosive and powerful.
The only time ive had a doctor say lifting heavy was not good was when i was in jiu jitsu and because i frequently did heavy deadlifts and squats, i found after jits my hips hurt like fuck.
Because of muscle strength and tightness. Chest however ive found the reverse it has helped with overall strength of punches as well as strength in alot of areas grappling.

Punching power generally comes from your technique, the twist through your hips, and driving the force through your arm to your fist into someones face, the stronger your muscles are the better control you have over the force being thrown and it can add a little more speed to your punch up to a point and then i believe its a diminishing marginal return. Also if someone is 180lbs and he benchs over 300 that is very impressive.

thanks for regurgitating well known information. do you have anything to add about why training for maximal strength and strength-speed would help speed-strength? the point is kind of moot, however. i just picked up my supertraining book and it says that verkhoshansky did a study in 1977 which concluded heavy weight training could impair speed and technical skill in boxers.

Lifting is obviusly beneficial. If it wasnt you wouldn't see any boxer or fighter in general doing weights.

This is the way I look at things. I make sure I cover my cardio (Jog + Sprints and maybe skipping 2 days a week plus what ever we do in our boxing class) And conditioning in general which may include: Heavybag, Double end bag, speed bag, Burpees, shadow boxing ect. If I have time to weight lift ( which I do 95% of the time ) I make sure I do it.

But what do weights do? Well, I suppose it depends on which routine you do. if you do 80 bicep curls 3 sets then some abs and then leave that will do pretty much nothing, but if you do say 5x5 (Deads, Bench, Squats, Military Press, Bent over rows) You will notice you're self getting much more explosive, much more stronger, and you will probobly inherit knock out power with out risking speed.

By 5x5 routine do you mean 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise? Cause thats ALOT

Yes, 305 is a decent amount for a endurance based athlete

Lifting is obviusly beneficial. If it wasnt you wouldn't see any boxer or fighter in general doing weights.

This is the way I look at things. I make sure I cover my cardio (Jog + Sprints and maybe skipping 2 days a week plus what ever we do in our boxing class) And conditioning in general which may include: Heavybag, Double end bag, speed bag, Burpees, shadow boxing ect. If I have time to weight lift ( which I do 95% of the time ) I make sure I do it.

But what do weights do? Well, I suppose it depends on which routine you do. if you do 80 bicep curls 3 sets then some abs and then leave that will do pretty much nothing, but if you do say 5x5 (Deads, Bench, Squats, Military Press, Bent over rows) You will notice you're self getting much more explosive, much more stronger, and you will probobly inherit knock out power with out risking speed.

Good advice,stick with compound, explosive movements. Definitely include squats, cleans, and deadlifts. Bench, military press, etc. are great for upper body but do them explosively on the way up( make sure however you are in control of the weight with a competent spotter).
It will not impair speed if you train in this manner, just don't mimic the bodybuilders routines, and don't let weights be a primary focus.
Happy trails...

I just started my 5x5 in my local gym. I can't believe my punching power and my explosiveness inproved that much.

btw, has anyone heard Escalating Density Training (EDT)?

Back