Lifting for striking in general?

omgitsrick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Heres the story, my lil bro (14 yr old) has seen me train and says he wants to start training too, but since he's on his 9th grade football team he insists on lifting weights along with training. I've told him that I just do calisthenics and I'm fine, but he's insisting. After thinking about it i researched it a bit and was surprised to find that lifting weights can benefit you alot if you do it properly. I've had it drilled into me that weights make you too "bulky" and "slow" in boxing from a younger age, so Im taking this in with some skepticism. Now i turn to you guys for answers, if lifting ISNT bad for grapplers and striking (boxing and wrestling, but I started BJJ recently) then I might lift along with my brother.

PS. Also could he be too young for lifting, hes pretty tall for his age (6ft even) but still skinny, he hasnt filled out yet at all. And by skinny i mean like 130lbs anorexic skinny. I on the otherhand HAVE filled out and am sitting at 6'2, 170lbs.

He's six feet at 14? Jeez.

Smarter people than me will follow explaining specifics, but it's pretty much accepted now that lifting weights takes away from your speed is a myth. As far as grappling goes, well, it's true that technique > strength, but strength can get you pretty far all by itself. Talk to people who can competently coach you and your bro when it comes to lifting - there's nothing like the voice of experience to guide you.

Alot of coaches can be "old school" though and will be against lifting. BTW you hit 7000 posts 1 post ago

That's what hard training'll get you.

there is actualy a ton of excellent information on lifting in the 'strength and power' forum here (be sure to read the faqs)

6ft at 14yrs old.....! Wow.

Tell him to spend more time on his jump shot!

6ft at 14yrs old.....! Wow.

Tell him to spend more time on his jump shot!

thats not really that unheard of man...i was 6'0 at 14 too....as was like 5 or 6 of my friends...and we're not basketball players either..

thats not really that unheard of man...i was 6'0 at 14 too....as was like 5 or 6 of my friends...and we're not basketball players either..

Wow..... I am 6ft 2in now but was closer to 5ft 8in at 14........ Guess we can blame it on genitcally altered food! LOL......

P.S: I can honestly say that playing B-ball has been tremendously helpfull with my footwork in MT, Boxing....... off subject, just thought I would throw it out there.

yea i was 6ft when i was 13 but i haven't grown since then but whatever anyways back to the topic

from personal experience, lifting has had no negative effects on my speed in kickboxing or flexibility.

Almost all fighters lift weights, the idea that it slows you down is a myth usually related to the fact that when people start lifting they stop training as much in the gym fighting wise and thats what slows them down.

I was easy 5'11 at 14. Grew 1 inch in the last 8 years.

im going to go out on a limb and say that some heavy lifting can be detrimental to your striking, particularly bench press.

order the infinite intensity book from rossboxing.com it'll answer a lot of your questions

im going to go out on a limb and say that some heavy lifting can be detrimental to your striking, particularly bench press.

What....? FYI: Roy Jones Jr. in his prime (about 6yrs ago) bench pressed close to 305pds! Still have the article from an old sports illustrated. I am guessing you think he had slow hands? Shit......... wish my hands were that slow! Somebody lied to you!

with proper training, weight lifting can be benefitial for teens according to some ppl.

it's not really neccessary for long term and may bring more disadvantages than advantages. So i usually dont recommend it to 14 yr olds.

Back