lifting 5 days a week

JaKob

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Would this actually limit the development of strength, i go in every weekday to do my cardio, before hand i can't resist hitting the weights before hand, nothing too heavy.. monday push, tuesday pull, wednesday push, thursday pull, on friday just do a bit of full body, is this fine or actually hindering developement? im only on my 3rd week of this routine, feel stronger then when i started.

My first reaction is you're crazy, but what exactly are you doing on these days? Mon. - Squat, bench, and other presses? Tues. - Deadlifts, Rows? Or are you breaking it up more like, upper body push, pull, lower body push, pull?

ur muscles may not recover properly if u hit the weights every day . if ur breakin it up into upper body and lower body it maaaay be okay , but if ur stiff u should take a day off from the weights. cardio every day is usually ur friend though.

crazy! I just made a thread about lifting twice a wk due to my bjj shedule! your muscles will not recover and I can't see you benafiting from this at all, why lift 5x a week when you can just lift 3 and get better results, insane I tell ya!

What about 4 days, push monday, pull wednesday, push friday, pull sunday.... that gives me full day of recovery, i live across the road from the gym, so its easy to overdo it. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

I'd go with three sessions a week and split it so you're doing one each of pull, press and squat, training more than that and you really wont be giving your body time to recover.

For upper body, I don't think just push or pull, I think push, pull, up, down. i.e. monday push (bench, flys), tuesday pull (rows, back flys), wednesday up (shoulder press, trap flys), thursday down (chinups, side laterals) friday rest. I used the same way of thinking for core and legs. I vary the excercises every week, and the combinations, but what I usually don't do is work the same muscle group until at least two days has passed.

groin striker said:
crazy! I just made a thread about lifting twice a wk due to my bjj shedule! your muscles will not recover and I can't see you benafiting from this at all, why lift 5x a week when you can just lift 3 and get better results, insane I tell ya!

The amount you train, and the results you see all depends on your body type. Some people benifit from weights 5x times a week, some benifit from 2x a week.

thecreator said:
The amount you train, and the results you see all depends on your body type. Some people benifit from weights 5x times a week, some benifit from 2x a week.

if his training properly without roids or anything he would burn out! just my opionion!

cockysprinter said:
it can be done, it depends on how you structure it though.

He's right. Though I would never recommend starting out 5 days a week. Start with 3 days a week and when you've improved enough and can handle more training, then you might add one more day. It's hard to tell you what to do since I don't know about your physique or anything. Your body needs rest to build muscles. If you don't rest you'll gain nothing from trainng. But like csprinter said, it can be done depending on how you structure it. Though I recommend that you don't train 5 days a week this early in your training.

yea it's easy to lift 5 days a week...sleep a ton, eat even more, have no stress, and find a good steroid connection...

If your only doing heavy powerlifting it definitively sounds to much to me. If your not to advanced im not suprised at all that your making progres, the question is if its optimal. I have personaly made fairly good gains on programs that I now know is junk...

I think that you would benefit from changing in some gpp (general physical prepardnes) work instead of one ore some of those pl sessions.

For upper body, I don't think just push or pull, I think push, pull, up, down. i.e. monday push (bench, flys), tuesday pull (rows, back flys), wednesday up (shoulder press, trap flys), thursday down (chinups, side laterals) friday rest. I used the same way of thinking for core and legs. I vary the excercises every week, and the combinations, but what I usually don't do is work the same muscle group until at least two days has passed.

Pulling once or twice a week is fine. Press two to three times. Don't do flyes on anything.

I have a 5 day workout schedule and Im getting great results. It basicly goes like this:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wedneday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms

my muscles are never sore for the next week rotation. With this though, you do need to eat a much more balanced diet with alot more protien & water. Diet is SO important to ANY excercise program, it can really help you gain that muscle that you need.

Edit: you DONT need to do steriods to work 5 times a week.

That routine Ness screams bodybuilder to me.

Ness199x said:
I have a 5 day workout schedule and Im getting great results. It basicly goes like this:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wedneday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms

my muscles are never sore for the next week rotation. With this though, you do need to eat a much more balanced diet with alot more protien & water. Diet is SO important to ANY excercise program, it can really help you gain that muscle that you need.

Edit: you DONT need to do steriods to work 5 times a week.
What about your core? Also aren't you overtraining your arms with your biceps being involved with your back and your triceps with your chest?

With my back I never usually use my biceps. Deadlifts, seated row, etc. They usually work my forearms like mad so I use straps. With Chest, my tris are a little sore but nothing 4 days wont heal.

I used this formula just to make my core much stronger as I had strength but it was terribly misplaced. Im using this to make my body ready for more unorthidox excercises. One thing to remember is range of motion, you'll work more of the area and get better mobility in the limbs.

I use this split:

Monday: Calves
Tuesday: Wrist Flexors
Wednesday: Serratus Anterior
Thursday: Posterior Deltoid
Friday: Wrist Extensors

I worry about overtraining in my forearms, but, if you eat right and get plenty of sleep, you should be able to pull of this routine just fine.

Back