Lifters fighting

Yeah, but theres a reason theres weight classes too. Tank Abbot would destroy a BJ Penn or St. Pierre. As good as Anderson Sliva is, he isn't ever going to hurt Semmy Schilt.

Genki Sudo tapped Butterbean with a heel hook.

You cited this as an example of what??

Sorry, I thought the OP was asking about any strength athletes who competed in combat sports. Guess I misunderstood then. Could someone maybe clarify what it was the OP asked?

Yeah, but theres a reason theres weight classes too. Tank Abbot would destroy a BJ Penn or St. Pierre. As good as Anderson Sliva is, he isn't ever going to hurt Semmy Schilt.

i don't see tank abbott destroying anything except a few double cheeseburgers and a case of beer, bj and/ or gsp by submission in the first round

Marius Pudzianowski USED to be an olympic caliber boxer. So you could say him, but I dont know if he was a lifter then a boxer then back to a lifter...or a boxer then a lifter

Mikey Burnett and Alex Schonauer were both reportedly powerlifters at one point, but I have no references to back this up.

I take it you didn't see Speer's last fight?

Nope, but it was clear he was WAY stronger than Danzig, and Danzig used his technique to overwhelm Speer before he had a chance to use his size to his advantage.

I like Speer, but he got utterly destroyed last Wednesday... Had a cut under his eye that looked like mine, except not as bad, and he was fully out.

Pffft

Size>Skill

You just told a story the other day of your 150 lb buddy whooping the shit out of 3 big bodybuilder types.

Which is the bs post, the one above, or the one from the other day?

You just told a story the other day of your 150 lb buddy whooping the shit out of 3 big bodybuilder types.

Which is the bs post, the one above, or the one from the other day?

the 150 lber was gay.

Speer got mauled by Johnson. That was the first time I saw Johnson fight, and it was impressive. Not sure what he has on the ground though, but his stand-up looks fantastic.

FYI Kieth Wassung grew up on a farm, so I wouldn't say growing up on a farm and weight training are mutually exclusive.

In a lot of ways growing up on a farm is an advantage. Most homes aren't big enough to hold tractor tires. Most places you live don't have wide open fields stretching all around. For strength training, a farm is probably among the top places you could go to train.

The difficulty with farms is that because they have all that wide open space, they are way out in the middle of nowhere so it's difficult to get to martial arts class, which is where you gain real skill and technique.

Didn't say they're mutually exclusive. But if it's farm strength versus farm strength AND lifting (as in K-dubs' case) you can only expect one outcome.

Another vid I've found. Gerard Benderoth unleashes fury.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p237h8sexY0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p237h8sexY0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

^Meh, TUF noobs *watches Don Frye take on a mammoth*

This past season was the first time I've watched TUF, and that was because I'm a big Hughes fan. I'll prolly watch it now, if I remember, just 'cause it's MMA on TV. Same reason I sometimes watch the same Wrekcage shows on VS.

I don't see why lifters would be amazingly successful in the fighting arts. There are other sports that are far more closely related to lifting than MA/MMA, e.g. the track & field events. And even there skill components are important enough to deter lifters from simply coming along and being more awesome than guys who have been training the events for some time.

Back