• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lewis can dish it out but not take it

You're a lot smarter than me lol, I was 100% sure Lewis would win and as usual I have to eat my words and look like a moron
I thought so too but changed my pick when I saw them both in the Octagon. BB had a lot of pressure on him fighting in Houston last time so this outcome made sense.

I thought so too but changed my pick when I saw them both in the Octagon. BB had a lot of pressure on him fighting in Houston last time so this outcome made sense.
Kinda feels like you're rubbing it in lol, I was typing mid fight "we all knew Lewis was too good for Tuivasa." This is why I have never and will never bet on fights.

It’s crazy how people think mma has Improved in every aspects. There’s no way Francis would be champ back in the 05 era.

I think everyone agrees that HW as a division is much worse now than in the past. I personally think Black Beast would be fringe top ten in 2005.

But yeah, he also isn't champ in 2022 and in a healthier division would be fringe top ten.

it's kinda true. but it's only true when he fights a guy with good power. that's why i never believed Gane hit weakly. the only guys who get Lewis out of there are guys who are notorious hitters.

but it's not true that if you just hit him enough he'll give up. if that was true Volkov should've stopped him and Travis Browne too. Tai was just a bad match up for him. he does his best against volume strikers and grapplers.

He no have chin was weak shot lost to can out top 10 he never be Champion

The Hunt fight, the gane fight and last night in particular - he clearly got flustered when Tui didn't fold and instead came back at him just as hard (when lewis landed in the first). Pretty much the bully mentality - He's a lion when things are going is way but turns a deer in headlights as soon as he is pushed back (after landing his money shots).

Him running away after the fight tells you all you need to know about his ability to take it.

It’s not really that surprising following Lewis’ entire career. He’s shown to have a chin that can be cracked, while Tai hasn’t been KO’d to my knowledge. He’s also money driven, and hasn’t necessarily shown the desire to move outside of his brawler style. Most of the time Derek has been against a striker with a better chin he loses. I expected a better performance fighting in Houston honestly.

I think when BB had Tui down and was ground and pounding him only to have Tai will himself back up and return some bombs at the end of the 1st round. I think that was a psychological blow to Lewis. 95% of other fighters turtle and BB has his first round TKO/KO.

But he enjoys being paid. And I assume he’s being paid quite well.
Dana loves him. The fans love him. He always goes for the KO and doesn’t complain about pay, or fighting XYZ. He’s literally the perfect fighter to have on a payroll if you’re Dana.
I assume Dana will still cut him big checks.
Yeah you are right that he likes being paid for sure. I may be overanalyzing it as a fan of the guy but he just never really seems happy to fight in interviews, media appearances, etc. I feel like guys get hurt when they aren't fully in it but I don't really know where Lewis is mentally

People really overthinking this shit
It's a damn HW fight with 2 KO artists going after it. Both guys were throwing huge bombs and Lewis was the one who went down.
He had a great first round in this fight too.
There's no psychological analysis to be had, Lewis has had a bunch of comeback wins in fights he was doing awful in. His chin isn't granite, but not many guys will be able to take the bombs Tai took or be willing to.

To be fair, Volkov beat him up for 3 rounds and he still managed to recoup and knock him out right at the end.

Lewis can beat a skilled guy who isn't gritty and he can even beat a gritty guy who isn't very skilled but he will always, always struggle with guys who are both gritty and skilled.

How profound. In other words, he only loses to people who are very good. Who would have thought.

Reading comprehension isn't a strength of yours I see.

Yes, I see the very strong point you made. It's hard to beat people who are both tough and skilled. I never would have came up with this gem, thank the lord we have people like you to bless us with a nugget every now and then.

I’m a fan of Lewis but am kind of hoping he retires soon. He doesn’t seem like he really enjoys fighting anymore. I get the vibe he is just there for the paycheck. Even taking this dad Tai fight was weird to me. #3 vs #11? Just seems like a high risk low reward fight for him
Yeah he had literally nothing to gain from this fight

I think Lewis can take a punch, but he REALLY doesn't like getting kicked in the legs

I thought fighters who have been KO'd don't usually do interviews?
Yeah I don't get why TS even brought that up. They're not supposed to be interviewed, especially non-champs and non-main eventers.

He was getting beat pretty badly for 3 rounds before the "My balls was hot" KO.

But mostly he's a fighter that doesn't come back from a big deficit in fights, which isn't uncommon.
I would argue the opposite. Usually when he wins though he's getting out pointed and techniqued on and saving a punch. If someone takes it to him like Gane and Tai did he doesn't handle it well typically.

Tai is awesome glad he won.

Lewis has always had sour grapes he is a bad winner and a terrible loser.

I still like him tho.

War Tai.

And anyone saying BB faked being ko’d you guys have problems.
The only thing close to a “fake KO” in combat sports is the phantom punch just because the way Sonny reacted. No way Lewis faked going stiff to sleep lol

Back