Letting your hands go: How?

Like the title said, how do you let your hand go when striking? What kind of training do you do to finally comfortable throwing punches in bunches? This is one part of my training i am trying to fix but it seemed like whenever it is sparring time i always reverts to pot-shoting mode with mostly my jabs and barely any rear hand at all instead of stringing 3 or 4 punches combination like any good boxers do. While on one part i understand it is a confident issue and i'm a noob at striking but i think with proper drilling and such i can be better at trying to stringing hit together instead of just get one shots and then admire my work for a split second before getting bashed in the face for that.

Any ideas guize?

I've not read the thread through...but what I will say is that that you cannot be afraid to get touched or hit. If bumping is racing, than allowing glancing blows is fighting. You WILL get hit in a fight and probably more than once. So if you accept that, that's a big step in moving towards your goal.

Sparring shows you what you need to work on. So if in your sparring you shoot more like a bolt action rifle than a semi automatic 3-shot burst carbine, all that needs to happen is a rework of some of the internal components. During your sparring drills or technique sessions, have your partner throw a jab, or a 1-2, or 1-2-3, or even a non-arranged 3-5 punch sequence depending on your skill. Your job is to cover, or move, and then counter with no less than a 3-5 count response. Do that over and again. Should make that response second nature once you've done it between 100 and 1000 times.

Nuke,

My mate Jon had this problem, he didn't want to hurt anyone was his reasoning.
He was mostly a wrestler and was training for fun. He had a 1 on 1 session with the coach and he said forget technique right now and throw down - my mate improved so much.
I found myself that I couldn't get the two together, technique and throwing lots of punches at the same time takes work - so I split them up.
Don't think, just throw them out and let yourself throw hay makers or whatever, just let those babies fly.

.. I feel like a kid trying to explain things on the internet. I know what I'm trying to say but its so much work to communicate it.

Last edited:
Double post. :(

Last edited:
I find that just more and more drills on pads, and then partner drills, and then sparring is what helps best. In any sparring session, I have usually one or two things I'm thinking of, and trying to get good at- sometimes, that will be using my hands to better effect. Or, I might have a particular catch technique I want to try out or something.

Just think about it more, do it more, and eventually it becomes a habit.

To be honest Nuke, one day it will just click in - just like that day where you finally turned your shin over when throwing a roundhouse.

Thanks guys for all the comments so far. I am really appreciated it :D Since tmr i plan to tape my kickboxing/kyokushin karate session, i will try to force myself to throw more and then post it up for y'all to see if i can squeeze it out or not :D

Nuke, I just found this video and thought you would find it interesting.

Could you link me some other ones? They are hard to Google. Better still if any MMA / Kickboxing ones exist that you've seen.

Afaik there are that one, one or two analysis vid on Willie Pep, there's also a pair of vid focused on Floyd and Pac's weapons. All of them are in youtube. I'm in my iphone right now so i cannot really search for it.

Afaik there are that one, one or two analysis vid on Willie Pep, there's also a pair of vid focused on Floyd and Pac's weapons. All of them are in youtube. I'm in my iphone right now so i cannot really search for it.

thanks

Woo we have a winner! Thank god someone said it at last. I just went through 5 pages and couldn't believe no one had mentioned the jab!

TS are you landing your jab? And I mean on him, regardless of whether you hit his head or his gloves or shoulder. No point in throwing a combo if you are going to be punching air. If you can't reach with a jab you aren't going to reach him with anything else. Not every combo has to start with a jab of course but you have to start somewhere.

The other thing is you should have a a couple of combos burnt into your muscle memory, 1-2-3 is always a good starting place. This should be absolutely reflexive, it should just come out naturally without even being conscious of it. If it isn't get practicing.

A long time ago i got a really good tip when i asked a similar question.

"Decide on a combination, and throw it. It doesn't matter if it hits or not".

It's usually easiest to start this with a jab, even if it just hits glove or chest just step through the other punches.

Woo we have a winner! Thank god someone said it at last. I just went through 5 pages and couldn't believe no one had mentioned the jab!

TS are you landing your jab? And I mean on him, regardless of whether you hit his head or his gloves or shoulder. No point in throwing a combo if you are going to be punching air. If you can't reach with a jab you aren't going to reach him with anything else. Not every combo has to start with a jab of course but you have to start somewhere.

The other thing is you should have a a couple of combos burnt into your muscle memory, 1-2-3 is always a good starting place. This should be absolutely reflexive, it should just come out naturally without even being conscious of it. If it isn't get practicing.

I sort of land the jab, yes. But often nobody respects my jabs because of the intensity. Like when i spar the instructor, the dude ate some of my jabs and still try to brawl forward because he know that i cannot put some power into it (he was not wearing mouthguard). It really irritate the shit out of me.

I sort of land the jab, yes. But often nobody respects my jabs because of the intensity. Like when i spar the instructor, the dude ate some of my jabs and still try to brawl forward because he know that i cannot put some power into it (he was not wearing mouthguard). It really irritate the shit out of me.

throw uppercuts at the same intensity as your jabs then...instructors should know what a mouthpiece is. or how to modulate power...one of the two things.

throw uppercuts at the same intensity as your jabs then...instructors should know what a mouthpiece is. or how to modulate power...one of the two things.

As you can see in the last sparring vid.....he doesn't really have both of those :(

control the distance of the fight. when he punches stay of of his range. the best way to get in range yourself is with a half step, just use your lead foot, dont use your back foot, and this way you get in and out of range while commiting the least possible to the attack, this way you can get out of range in time without eating a counter.

if he jumps you, pivot and counter, alway controlling the distance of the fight and use that half step to get in and out.

control the distance of the fight. when he punches stay of of his range. the best way to get in range yourself is with a half step, just use your lead foot, dont use your back foot, and this way you get in and out of range while commiting the least possible to the attack, this way you can get out of range in time without eating a counter.

if he jumps you, pivot and counter, alway controlling the distance of the fight and use that half step to get in and out.

Right, controlling the range. Got it.

I think the guys that commit to shadowboxing get over this issue quickly. I noticed the difference in myself just by making sure I'd shadowbox a good three rounds (3 min rds) whenever I boxed. You could dedicate yourself and make it a point to shadowbox every day for 10 minutes and you'll notice the effect it has on sparring. I noticed over the year that I would be throwing combinations without thinking (this is assuming you are practicing different combinations in your shadowboxing).

Like other people have said, practice combinations on the bag. If you're not stringing together a 3 or 4 hit combo on the bag it's not like you're going to hop into sparring and feel comfortable throwing 3 or 4 hit combos. I noticed in myself anyways that I'm not throwing anything that I have not practiced before, it's unnatural.

I think the guys that commit to shadowboxing get over this issue quickly. I noticed the difference in myself just by making sure I'd shadowbox a good three rounds (3 min rds) whenever I boxed. You could dedicate yourself and make it a point to shadowbox every day for 10 minutes and you'll notice the effect it has on sparring. I noticed over the year that I would be throwing combinations without thinking (this is assuming you are practicing different combinations in your shadowboxing).

Like other people have said, practice combinations on the bag. If you're not stringing together a 3 or 4 hit combo on the bag it's not like you're going to hop into sparring and feel comfortable throwing 3 or 4 hit combos. I noticed in myself anyways that I'm not throwing anything that I have not practiced before, it's unnatural.

I shadowbox a lot (5 minutes x 2 rounds, or sometimes 3 rounds) and the progress is minimal, to say the least. With the bag i don't have a heavy bag ready at hand so i don't get to practice combination punching that much. But i do have a double end and so far it is a good substitute for the heavy bag.

Back