Letting your hands go: How?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Nuclearlandmine, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Nuclearlandmine

Nuclearlandmine Shreddin' Double Yellow Card

Like the title said, how do you let your hand go when striking? What kind of training do you do to finally comfortable throwing punches in bunches? This is one part of my training i am trying to fix but it seemed like whenever it is sparring time i always reverts to pot-shoting mode with mostly my jabs and barely any rear hand at all instead of stringing 3 or 4 punches combination like any good boxers do. While on one part i understand it is a confident issue and i'm a noob at striking but i think with proper drilling and such i can be better at trying to stringing hit together instead of just get one shots and then admire my work for a split second before getting bashed in the face for that.

Any ideas guize?

2. Popsaregood230

Popsaregood230 Blue Belt

You're scared of being countered I'm guessing? I've got the same problem. What I do though is just fight the fear and throw combos anyways lol. Sparring is different than a fight, you're allowed to get hit, especially if you learn something from it.

3. Nuclearlandmine

I guess it is partly that. But another thing i think is that my body lacked proper drilling to actually do it. It just all freeze up and shit.

4. SaiWa

SaiWa Black Belt

this may not be right but its my opinion on you.

your mental game is the first thing. you are afraid of mixing it up. your main priority when you fight is dodging and countering instead of just plain attacking. nothing wrong with that but it's the way you are programmed or programming yourself through training.

as for your training... every video i've seen of you there is little to mediocre intensity. show me a video where you blast that heavy bag for 3-minutes, all hard shots and stringing them in 4+ shot combos. working on form is great but you need to train like an animal every once in a while. let the animal out and hit that bag like you are trying to murder it. that type of training is great for cardio btw...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  5. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Red Belt

I'm not afraid of getting hit in sparring, if I land a solid shot I will follow it up with a bunch of other shots, keeping my chin tucked. You just have to do it. otherwise you will be a punching bag.

6. cms9690

cms9690 Green Belt

Hey Nuke,

I used to have a similar problem when I was boxing as a teenager, it can be difficult. The technique for getting over this that I found most successful was telling yourself that if you're within range you will throw the entire combination regardless if they are blocking/countering/moving out of range. It may seem a little silly, but it helps you to feel comfortable throwing a high volume of punches at a live opponent. Obviously this isn't a technique you want to use in a competition, but I know it helped me let my hands free when it came time to really let them go.

7. TheBruteFist

TheBruteFist Orange Belt

Its a kind of style thing and mentality thing. it is good to be alarmed while sparring because many people lose focus in sparring since it wont be as hard as real match, I see people saying "I will take the punch and counter it" you never know what damage will it do in a real match.

If you aren't confident that you will land more than get hit, you won't let your hands go, you see many people swarm like hell, and once the opponent is on the ropes, they stop, simply because being on the ropes gives you the feeling that the guy has no where to run anymore and WILL counter you. So actually letting hands go is a skill you earn just like good footwork, good counters, good bla bla, also good amount of punches landing.

8. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's a purely mental thing. My suggestion is that you make it a goal in next sparring session. Decide before you even get in the ring(?) that you're just going to throw combos. Doesn't matter if you get countered, doesn't matter if you don't land. It doesn't even matter if you're in range.

Just promise yourself that you will not throw a single strike at all. You're not going to win that session. You will lose. But you will get better and that's all that matters, it's sparring.

9. Nuclearlandmine

I did try to get some more power and stuffs into my bagworks (as my last bagworks video can tell) but yes i haven't actually try to murder the bag like you said. So maybe i can try that. For the mixing up part, i think i haven't drill properly enough to get past the point of being able to mix it up without the fear of getting counter. However, i think it is improving steadily now that i have incorporate headmovement AS i punching in combination, so i hope that fear will go away as i get that down.

It is one thing to just do it. But the question here is how to do that though?

I am thinking about that too. Although i am afraid of turning into a windmill machine while doing it just for the sake of hitting something instead of accurately hit my opp.

10. Daniel Tapia

Daniel Tapia Green Belt

good thread. I'm enjoying reading it.

great advice has been given but I'm looking forward to more.

11. sourdiesel209

sourdiesel209 Green Belt

I used to have the same problem, I could pop the jab all day long but when throwing with my rear hand or hooks I would pull out on my punches and close my eyes/look away... all because I was afraid of being countered since it was on closer range

so what helped? I just said, fuck it Im gonna get hit anyways at least ill try to not look away and land my shots... just to touch him at first, no power... then as you spar more it gets better, now I sometimes, I still need that first hit to remind me im in a real "fight" (well, sparring session) or I wont be able to let my hands go...

anyways sparring alot helps

12. FaceEraser

FaceEraser White Belt

One thing that helped me was sparring with a skilled but lighter opponent that I really wasn't worried about getting knocked out by. You have to exercise some control of course since you'd be the bigger guy but basically I'd tell him to go to town. We stand there and trade and when he hits me clean it's enough to let me know I messed up but not enough to drop me. When I started sparring guys my own size I was more used to getting hit and probably got hit less because I was used to sparring a faster partner.

13. Nuclearlandmine

Thanks for all the advices so far guys, really appreciate it. Anymore guys?

14. CosItsFun

CosItsFun Yellow Belt

Punch. Repeat. Preferably in quick succession.

On a more serious note, simply drill it until its a habit and consciously add this into your sparring (first at light power then gradually harder sparring).

If you're worried about getting hit, throw combos off of a counter and from an angle.

If you don't want to get hit at all, the best thing to do is quit martial arts and take up sprinting/running. :p

15. Nuclearlandmine

One thing i've been able to pick up from guys like Sergio Martinez and Pacquiao is that when they throw their punches, if the first land, they will follow with the second, when the second land, they will throw the third, so on and so forth. If one of those punches get blocked then they will just simply follow up with another one to a different angle. Finally when they don't see any more opportunities to throw they will just move out of range and repeat. It is something i am trying to ingrain myself doing it on the double end bag.

16. sourdiesel209

sourdiesel209 Green Belt

man check out canelo alvarez for some nasty combos..

17. Nuclearlandmine

Not his level yet but i will try :D

18. CosItsFun

CosItsFun Yellow Belt

Yup. No point hammering away if your opponent is shielding up or blocking, find a new area to attack to/from. I think it would be better to do on a heavy bag, I could imagine it being hard to land combos with the double end bag flying all about. And wouldn't the heavy bag allow for more angles, which would be awkward on the double end bag? just suggesting.

Also, off topic, but are you looking to get into boxing or is it mma or kick boxing etc?

19. Scythegpd**

Scythegpd** White Belt

Movement based shadow boxing helps aswell.

Bags are good and all but where the core problem lies is you always inherently know where they'll be. And, while you can move around the bag, most of the punching is static, defensive movement as well, it's slipping and moving around a "static" object, like the bag is a planet and you're a moon around it.
    Things is, an opponent moves back, forwards, side to side and so on. So suddenly you have to chase, back up, change angle and so on. Now bag work doesn't directly translate to this situation because of the moon/planet analogy, unless your opponent is staying in one spot or within a step from that spot, it does not translate.
    So you lose your comfort with range and movement. Throwing a 4 punch combo is easy on a bag that returns to point zero, that same combo on a target that is reversing is a whole different beast. That then also plays into the comfort of your movement, "chambering" into the next punch feels different as you're moving as well.
    So try some shadow boxing but get your feet going. Get used to combos while moving forward, back, around, get used to how your body feels while doing this so you can get the "flow" from one punch to the next.
    Then in the next sparring session make sure to use those combos and that movement, make it a goal to go "I will throw more than 1 punch"
    It won't help being gun-shy and worried about the counter, only sparring will do that, but it will make you comfortable throwing moving combos as opposed to static ones.

20. Nuclearlandmine

With the double end it is merely just to teach my body to let my hands go more quickly and more rhythmic. Also with the way the bag moves it will make a more difficult target to hit so being quick, rhythmic and precise is really the key. It is just baby steps for now, but i will try to do it when i get my hand on the heavy bag.

As for the second question, i don't know for sure. If any path present itself, i'm gonna go for it. But my first choice for now will be MMA, then boxing (i haven't think about the kickboxing option tbh). MMA is still a young sport so there's still space for guys like me, while with boxing i will compete with guys who trained much younger than me so it is the harder path.