Lets Talk Takedowns!

SpartanWarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just came from the "Self Evaluation" thread and it seems most people want to improve their takedowns. Thats personally the biggest thing I want to focus on and improve on at this point in my training because Im lacking, big time.

I wanted to know if anyone, especially Judo practicioners, had a list of Judo throws effective for no-gi competitions and MMA.

Ogoshi is the most effective hip throw from the over under clinch in MMA. Ippon Seionage is also good especially early in the round when you're not sweating yet, because it's very hard to grip the arm otherwise. The Uchimata seems to have been used to a great deal of effect in MMA, especially from Yoshida, Nakamura, and even Saku. Inside back heel trip and back heel trip are others.

Wrestling background helps a lot for shooting and takedowns. Judo i think has a lot ofd good takedowns if you're in a clinch, but that's just me.
Try wrestling if you can.
-Jon

You cannot become decent with takedowns by learning from pictures and vidoes.

Judo = Amazing takedowns for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu grappling.

Wrestling = Amazing takedowns and good ground control for submission wrestling.

It really all depends on what sort of competition you want to focus on. Being a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Judo guy myself, I like the whole gi-grappling aspect of competition. As you can see from my record, I didn't fare too well in the no-gi match I had, losing by armbar.

Seionage
Drop seionage
Koshi Guruma
O Guruma
Osotogiri
Uki Goshi
O Goshi
O Uchi Gari
Ko Uchi Gari
Te Guruma
Okuri Ashi Harai
Kosoto Gari
Uchi Mata
Ippon seionage
Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi
Yama Arashi
Hane Goshi

I've used all of these before. Obviously the grips are different at times (grab around the waist rather than grab at a belt, grab the tricep and/or shoulder rather than a sleeve, grab the back of the neck etc) and some are reliant on timing but they can be done.

I just learned a new uchimata, before i could never do it properly but tonight when doing ukemi it just came off awsomely.

Thanks. I never wrestled before. I just started taking BJJ. Before that I did muay thai, kickboxing, boxing. Im relatively new to grappling.

Im not surprised a lot of people list this as a weakness (including me), in my limited BJJ experience it seems like there has been very little focus on takedowns.

http://www.themat.com

http://www.judoinfo.com

Have some decent animations of takedowns and throws, even some clips. Darrell Gholar's Vale Tudo Takedowns is a good DVD set. I haven't seen his others but I don't think you can go to wrong with Gholar under any circumstances.

I personally pick 4 throws/takedowns to work on over a fortnight at a time, then once I feel comfortable using them I'll rotate them out and choose anither 4. If after two weeks I am still having problems with one or two I sometimes will pick 3 new ones and keep practicing the other two more for a week until I feel good using them, then add in a new one or practice one I'm already familar with until that two week time period is up, then pick myself 4 new ones to work on. I find this sort of system helps as it means I focus all the time trying to get them right rather than just going for a double or single leg.

I can't understand why you would wanna learn Judo throws for no-gi. This isn't a knock against Judo but why not just learn wrestling takedowns? You don't have to modify them at all, they are designed to be done no-gi.

Stooge said:
You cannot become decent with takedowns by learning from pictures and vidoes.

I agree.

With the videos and pictures you can understand the takedowns,but you

I heard judo uses more technique and leverage, while wrestling takedowns are more about strength. Im still new to grappling, so i might be wrong. If I were to face a much bigger oppoenent, I'd think that using technique rather than strength would be al ot better.

SpartanWarrior said:
I heard judo uses more technique and leverage, while wrestling takedowns are more about strength. Im still new to grappling, so i might be wrong. If I were to face a much bigger oppoenent, I'd think that using technique rather than strength would be al ot better.

WRONG!!! Hold your tounge boy. Any takedown i dont care what it is uses lots of technique and leverage. ESPECIALLY wrestling. If you do any takedown piss poor you are going to use strength more then technique. If you want clinch takedowns judo is ok but id go for greco roman wrestling personally. From what ive found many judo throws from standing use the Gi heavily. But then again im a wrestler so using one at all is a lot to me.

TequillaSlammer said:
I can't understand why you would wanna learn Judo throws for no-gi. This isn't a knock against Judo but why not just learn wrestling takedowns? You don't have to modify them at all, they are designed to be done no-gi.

Because there is alot of stuff in Judo specifically made to reverse and use wrestling shoots against an attacker. I know, I used to wrestle and now train in Hayatan grappling. When I started training I got thrown all around the room. Now that I know alot of basic Judo I have not only improved with Judo throws but it has made me improve and modify my wrestling takedowns. Judo is still very effective no-gi, just watch some of Karo's fights.

There is a great demo of no-gi O soto gari on OTM right now by Dan Camarillo...

takedowns just come at times i remember i got caght in school yard type choke like what newton did to militech the only thing i thought drop him on his head so i did a belly to back suplex and he let go of choke while i had him in the air of the fear landin hard on his head.

watch some tito ortiz or couture fights to learn off of pro's

If you want to get good/better at takedowns what you need is a good drilling partner. That's it. It doesn't matter if you're doing Judo or Wrestling, because they're almost the same thing. What matters is repitition. You need a good drilling partner that will take the abuse of you shooting in and taking him down a hundred times over.

Find one takedown/throw that you want to learn or get good at it, and drill that mother fucker till you got it. I don't mean drill it six or seven times till you understand it, I mean drill it a thousand times so you got it. Then move on to the next move. Developing a good "shot" or "takedown" takes a long fucking time. You're not going to just see a takedown on a DVD and become instantly good at it. Repitition is the key.

Back