Lets Talk Takedowns!

Hammer_Fist said:
If you want to get good/better at takedowns what you need is a good drilling partner. That's it. It doesn't matter if you're doing Judo or Wrestling, because they're almost the same thing. What matters is repitition. You need a good drilling partner that will take the abuse of you shooting in and taking him down a hundred times over.

Find one takedown/throw that you want to learn or get good at it, and drill that mother fucker till you got it. I don't mean drill it six or seven times till you understand it, I mean drill it a thousand times so you got it. Then move on to the next move. Developing a good "shot" or "takedown" takes a long fucking time. You're not going to just see a takedown on a DVD and become instantly good at it. Repitition is the key.
You are really on the ball with this point. This is probably the only way to get a good takedown, irregardless of style, to work for you.

Stooge said:
You cannot become decent with takedowns by learning from pictures and vidoes.
I disagree, you just need some one to work with them on but a Vid or picture reference helps

A drill that I used to do during wrestling practice that helped me alot with my shot and the speed of my shot went something like this: You have your partner (standing) spread his legs and cover his balls, then shoot inbetween his legs. Shoot all the way through and get back into your stance. Then turn around and shoot back. Repeat... reapeat.... repeat.... It will be clumsy at first but the more you do it the more fluid and faster it will become. Practice good form on your shot also, don't just crawl through your partner's legs. Try to keep your hands and elbows in, as to not telegraph your move. If you mess up you'll hit your buddy in the nuts, good incentive not to mess up. My partner and I would do this a good 100 times after the end of each practice. We both had very nice shots. If you don't have a partner, spread a jump rope acrossed two chairs. When you get better and better lower the jump rope.

Back