• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Let's give Wilder some credit...

I wouldn’t say great fighter he’s a mediocre fighter with a nuke in his right hand but that’s pretty much it

mediocre fighter? Come on, man. Can you name me 5 better active heavyweights than him? Because I can point out 40ish guys who aren’t a better fighter than him.

He kept making excuses but then saying "I'm not making excuses"

But to be fair it's not easy to interview in that position and he did give Fury respect

he made excuses last fight too.. he came on sirius xm's at the fights and said his hand was hurt, this was hurt, this happened, that happened, but he wasn't making excuses then either. he gave him his props, and made immediate excuses again.. maybe he'll learn from this.. i'm just surprised it took this long.

he made excuses last fight too.. he came on sirius xm's at the fights and said his hand was hurt, this was hurt, this happened, that happened, but he wasn't making excuses then either. he gave him his props, and made immediate excuses again.. maybe he'll learn from this.. i'm just surprised it took this long.
"I ain't making excuses but I had complications" was the line I think I heard in the post fight in ring interview.

That was a very bad performance tonight (and Fury was a fucking maniac), but we've learned something important: He's not a quitter in adversity and he has heart.

Props to him, he wanted to continue and he impressed me in that regard.
He looked awful. He didn't look like some top boxer. His technique is garbage.

HW boxing has really gone to shit if this is a top boxer. He has power. That's it. He wings punches like fucking Dan Henderson.

"I ain't making excuses but I had complications" was the line I think I heard in the post fight in ring interview.
yup;. and he said something very similar last year on that radio show. in the interview he had about 3 or 4 different excuses he threw out there.

He's really not, and certainly not built for it. He's just a better fighter plain and simple. Better ring craftmanship, plus strengths in areas that do no involve punches like footwork..

Neither of them are exactly Roberto Duran on the inside but Tyson is absolutely more crafty and willling to fight there. Ortiz is more comfortable from the outside with the Cuban amateur pedigree.

I dont watch a lot of boxing but durely a god damn front headlock didnt get included in the rulebook. Right?
Midget ref was useless and couldnt/didnt control shit.

After their first fight I thought Wilder might flatten Fury or get clearly outpointed. That mauling was surprising to me.

Wilder has absolutely zero in fighting ability. Fury has just been the only fighter good enough to expose it.

So Fury has been the only fighter good enough to expose absolutely zero fighting ability? Hmm..

So Fury has been the only fighter good enough to expose absolutely zero fighting ability? Hmm..

i dont know if youve noticed but the HW division has been absolute trash outside of like 4-5 fighters.

he's full of excuses too. i've seen holes in his game for a long time. i'm surprised it took this long. Fury totally exposed him as a one trick mediocre pony.

I sort of agree with this. Sort of.
Because everyone knew well Wilder's deficits, the holes in his game, for years, but nobody was able to reach the end of the fight once Wilder was able to connect one or two punches. He is a one trick pony, but he is damn good at that lonely trick.
Fury schooled him in the first fight until that knockdown at the end. Ortiz probably won the first six rounds when they fought, he outboxed Wilder by far and punished him, until Wilder dismantled King Kong with one punch. Also, everyone knew that Fury was always a better boxer, has better control of the distance, has better defense and an impeccable jab, and can have heavy hands. The thing was to know if he could survive Wilder´s punches.
In the first round Wilder connected a long right hand straight, and Fury didn´t even blink. From that point on, the fight went down the hill for Deontay.

eh, I'm a Wilder fan and I liked what he was trying to do in the first 2 rounds. I liked that he was working his jab a little more, I liked that he was poking to the body. That said, if a guy says he wants to go out on his shield, then he has to fight back. Going out on your shield (to me at least) isn't just standing at range eating shots. Its taking a risk when you know you're behind and Wilder didn't do that. When he actually threw punches, he was landing but once he got hurt, he stopped fighting back.

I know, its easy to say sitting on my couch watching but Wilder disappointed me tonight.
Wilder landed two clean right hands in the opening round, that Fury shrugged off, shouldn't be underestimated how that could have effected wilder as I am sure he didn't expect that. Seemed to me he was totally out of ideas on what to do in order to stay in the fight and I don't think his corner offered much either

Fury found a single weakness in his defense and exploited it all night. Wilder can correct it and come back, but I'm not sure he will.

Wilder's entire defensive style is predicated on fighting a shorter fighter, he may never be able to deal with Fury, but that doesn't mean he can't still be dominate against other fighters.

The man has heart.

He looked ready to die in the ring against Fury. Seemed like he was gonna swing until he knocked himself out

Back