Let's get some wrestling discussion going for a change.

SSJP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I understand that most of us who post in the Grappling Forum are submission grapplers/BJJ guys/Judoka, but I know there are wrestlers out there like myself who train in some of the submission arts as well.

Favorite takedowns? Gonna make varsity this year? What weight do you wrestle at? Think you'll place in sectionals (or states) or any other major tournaments?

Season is ever-approaching. Less than two months!

Good thing BJJ > Wrestling.

Yeah, I'll be on my schools varisty team again this year. I made it to states last year and came 2nd in the sectionals. Cant wait for the season to start.

Stoic1 said:
Good thing BJJ > Wrestling.

Please do not acknowledge this troll attempt.

*Don't get smart I know I just did*

I wrestle freestyle at 84kgs (I just went up this year from 74 kgs). I'm going to Puerto Rico on the 13th of October for my first tourney of the season.
My training partner is competing at the worlds right now. He had the worst possible draw you could get I think. First match against the 2002 world champ from Iran, and Satiev on his side, so no chance at the repechage.
Favortie takedown is a front head lock.

I wish I was still wrestling :icon_cry2 No wrestling club or anything here at IU. I'd love to be an assistant coach at one of the local high schools but I don't have the time.

What's with all the BJJ trolling?

I'm a junior this year and this is my second year as a captain.

SSJP said:
What's with all the BJJ trolling?

I'm a junior this year and this is my second year as a captain.

Which state are you in?

I like wrestling a lot, I tried it on my junior college team a couple of years ago but the guys just beat me up, didn't show me anything, I still had fun, great sport, phenomenal athletes, if there is anyone in so cal that would like to teach me, I am a willing student.

Looking back I wish I had wrestled in high school.

BJJer with wrestling experience > Me

i've applied for the spring semester at UNC Greensboro so i'll probably be too late to try out for their wrestling team this year. if so, then i'll continue training my ass off in bjj (hopefully mt soon) and in the weight room and wait for next year. if it's a green light then i can't wait to get out there.. but as a freshman again. gonna be rough.

right now in bjj im trying to work on more takedowns that dont end with me in guard or choked.. but when i dont shoot and make a bjj guy try to take me down he gets clowned hard. because good takedown defense is such instinct.

as for bjj > wrestling.. sure wrestlers can walk into a choke (ken shamrock v royce ufc1), but how many times have you seen bjjers get takendown, pull guard and get tko'ed (mark kerr, randy couture, etc)? or getting bombed when trying to pull guard/triangle (kevin randleman, quintin jackson, etc)? it's just a different way of life, almost as different as striking to grappling--but they're all better together. *mixed* martial arts.... nice troll attempt.

What I'd like to know is how wrestling got so popular in the USA. I mean, who started the whole wrestling in the schools thing? You guys are lucky - in Australia wrestling is tiny...

judogido said:
What I'd like to know is how wrestling got so popular in the USA. I mean, who started the whole wrestling in the schools thing? You guys are lucky - in Australia wrestling is tiny...

I don't know how it got so popular but i'm happy that USA has folkstyle wrestling while the rest of the world pretty much does greco or freestyle.

Folkstyle is a lot more usefull in fighting and in BJJ.

anyone else following the World Championships? Canada beat the USA at 66kgs which I'm pretty excited about because Bono is an awesome wrestler

wrestling is small as compared to football, basketball, and even baseball or soccer. even the schools who dominate in wrestling cant keep stands full unless you're in Iowa.

to the uneducated public, wrestling is two guys in tights doing things in a scoring system some morons cant understand. so, most into wrestling are those brought by family, who's father wrestled and the family comes to the matches etc.

benches make your ass fall asleep and so does wrestling, to the uneducated, if people arent throwing chairs or jumping through tables. some people need constant random shit to keep their attention, then you have us, the other tiny percent who can watch bjj and sub tourneys over and over.

anthony27 said:
I don't know how it got so popular but i'm happy that USA has folkstyle wrestling while the rest of the world pretty much does greco or freestyle.

Folkstyle is a lot more usefull in fighting and in BJJ.

I don't know that I completely agree with that. Greco/freestyle emphasizes big throws more, which would mean a lot of fights end with 1 move if it's on concrete or a similarly hard surface.

Fight_Song said:
wrestling is small as compared to football, basketball, and even baseball or soccer. even the schools who dominate in wrestling cant keep stands full unless you're in Iowa.

to the uneducated public, wrestling is two guys in tights doing things in a scoring system some morons cant understand. so, most into wrestling are those brought by family, who's father wrestled and the family comes to the matches etc.

benches make your ass fall asleep and so does wrestling, to the uneducated, if people arent throwing chairs or jumping through tables. some people need constant random shit to keep their attention, then you have us, the other tiny percent who can watch bjj and sub tourneys over and over.

Exactly. It's kind of sad, really. At our high school, our football and basketball teams sucked ass, yet they had the stands full for every game. Our wrestling team was one of the best in the state and the only people that came to watch were friends and family. The same is true in collegiate wrestling. Very few schools, even DI ones, can get a good number of fans out to watch.

I've found a wrestling place near where I work. I haven't checked it out yet, but am really keen to go. I've done BJJ for a while but am looking for something more to do with it. Did a bit of judo, but it wasn't really my thing - not a flame on judo at all, a great sport, just not for me. The few wrestling sessions I've done in the past (long time ago now) were awesome, very physically taxing and intense. I'm really keen to check this place out as I'm in Australia and didn't think we had many "real" wrestling schools.

But yeah, when I told my girlfriend I was thinking about doing wrestling she said "do you have to buy your own costume or do they give you one". *sigh*

Back