News Let's be real: a panini is a bougie grilled cheese sandwich

mixmastermo

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
My theory is some people grew up loving their grilled cheese sandwiches, then one day when they decided they were more "affluent" and "cultured" they realized grilled cheese sandwiches are not on the menus of the restaurants they visit.

Enter the "panini"

Of course they had to give it a fancy name that sounds foreign. If you're gonna change things up, go all the way they said.

YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ME.

classic_grilled_cheese_.jpg

buffalo_chicken_panini5.jpg

My theory is some people grew up loving their grilled cheese sandwiches, then one day when they decided they were more "affluent" and "cultured" they realized grilled cheese sandwiches are not on the menus of the restaurants they visit.

Enter the "panini"

Of course they had to give it a fancy name that sounds foreign. If you're gonna change things up, go all the way they said.

YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ME.

You're not wrong

I used to eat them frozen out of the freezer to show girls what a badass i am

Panino is sandwich in italian, so it's a pretty pedestrial word. Panini is plural but that got lost in translation clearly.
You basically proved my point. Thanks for sharing.

"We need to come up with a fancy word for grilled cheese... Panini, I think I heard that word when I was in Milan.. yes, let's use that one"

But the god-damned yuppies who grew up in murica don't even know what it means.

You basically proved my point. Thanks for sharing.

"We need to come up with a fancy word for grilled cheese... Panini, I think I heard that word when I was in Milan.. yes, let's use that one"

But the god-damned yuppies who grew up in murica don't even know what it means.

I mean its italy so who cares

I dig sammechs big time and will almost always go with a fresh roll or bread over a grilled panini.

Incorrect. A panini is not a grilled cheese sandwich. It's a melt. A grilled cheese sandwich involves only bread, cheese, and butter or at most some kind of spread. A melt has meat and other things on it.

Incorrect. A panini is not a grilled cheese sandwich. It's a melt. A grilled cheese sandwich involves only bread, cheese, and butter or at most some kind of spread. A melt has meat and other things on it.

dwayne-johnson-eye-roll.gif

Enter the "panini"

YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ME.

You're pretty much spot on. Although Thomas Edison is actually the creator of the original sandwich press it didn't really catch on & production was discontinued in the 1930s. But in 1974 a company by the name of Breville came out with their own & called it the Panini Press. So, its origins aren't in Italy at all but right here in the good old USA.
https://www.businessinsider.com/thomas-edison-invented-the-sandwich-grill-2013-7

As usual random italian word get dropped there, but on reality a panino can be whatever, is far from a specific recipe... it's more like a "category"

Say panino is like say pizza, there are 99+ ways to make it

While at it the most standard panino does'nt even grill the bread, they just cut it in half and put stuff in the middle

don´t Italians use Ciabatta to make a sandwich? I think it's more down to the bread than anything, I never seen Italians use sliced bread to make a cheese sandwich.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gusserdudr
Back