Crime Letitia James Under Pressure to Prosecute Jon Stewart for selling his New York home 829% over market value

Let’s see if they apply the same standard to Stewart as they do Trump. Curious…

Who could have ever guessed Jon Stewart was a missive hypocrite? My mind is fucking blown. Next you’re gunna tell me that news anchors get all their talking points from the political party that their constituents are privy to. Whatever you do, don’t ruin the news for me, people, I beg of you.
Name checks out…

if any of these hacks were sincere and genuine they would be going after the government appraiser who valued the home at 800 and something thousand dollars if it was worth way way more than that right?

did jon stewart lie to the banks about the dimensions of the apartment he bought just to get a loan? no? well what about the person who bought the apartment - did they lie to the banks to get their money to buy the apartment? no? and will jon stewart not be paying his share of taxes on the $17.5 million dollars he rakes in off that sale? no? well then, have fun trying to invent a crime you can bring the guy to court over.

and who knows, maybe his apartment wasn't actually "worth" 17.5 million dollars, but somebody was willing to pay that much for it, in a world of capitalism, goods are only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it. and it's not a crime to sell something for more than an appraiser says it is worth. as far as everything is concerned, jon stewarts apartment is worth 17.5 million dollars because that's what somebody else was willing to pay for it. it could have been worth 500 million dollars if somebody else agreed to pay that much for it.

That's [D]ifferent.

Lol, last I checked "different" doesn't have brackets in it. Don't act like you didnt realize my phone auto-corrected and I didnt correct it as soon as I saw it.

Especially to attempt to sidestep the fact that you're a moron if you think this is in any way similar to Trump's fraudulent valuations.
It is different unless you completely misunderstood how it works. The Assessor sets the value for tax purposes. No crime from Trump or Stewart for selling above the assessor’s value. In that case neither Trump nor Stewert lied to anyone. They paid the assessed value. This is not a crime anywhere in the u.s.

Trump lied on the value of his properties to induce people to loan him money. Stewert hasn’t taken any loan here. What Trump has done is a crime everywhere in the u.s.

This is not an intellectually honest thread.

Ive worked in that area numerous times. 1.8 million value is extremely low for the location and size of the apartment. One former client of mine had one quarter the apartment size at near the same valuation in that area.

People probably dont know this. But after 9/11 apartment prices in Tribeca and Battery Park cratered. Then came the financial crash of 2008. Took a bit into the 2010's for proper valuation of apartments in that area to recover.

Last edited:
He was paying property taxes based on a ~$800K valuation.

Obviously defrauding the state and city of New York of their fair share of taxes... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know what's true at this point but unless he purposely provided incorrect information then the situations aren't the same. One would hope he'd pay proper taxes but valuations also aren't his responsibility.

7000 square feet in Tribeca for under 2 million dollars? Gimme a break. That's Stewart paying off the assessment office. You won't hear shit from the Libs on that.

Regardless, this story is literally NOTHING like Donald's.

if any of these hacks were sincere and genuine they would be going after the government appraiser who valued the home at 800 and something thousand dollars if it was worth way way more than that right?

did jon stewart lie to the banks about the dimensions of the apartment he bought just to get a loan? no? well what about the person who bought the apartment - did they lie to the banks to get their money to buy the apartment? no? and will jon stewart not be paying his share of taxes on the $17.5 million dollars he rakes in off that sale? no? well then, have fun trying to invent a crime you can bring the guy to court over.

and who knows, maybe his apartment wasn't actually "worth" 17.5 million dollars, but somebody was willing to pay that much for it, in a world of capitalism, goods are only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it. and it's not a crime to sell something for more than an appraiser says it is worth. as far as everything is concerned, jon stewarts apartment is worth 17.5 million dollars because that's what somebody else was willing to pay for it. it could have been worth 500 million dollars if somebody else agreed to pay that much for it.

Interesting... So you're saying that its possible Mar Largo isn't worth $18 million and is likely worth several hundred million because that's what someone would pay for it?

lol...

I don't know what's true at this point but unless he purposely provided incorrect information then the situations aren't the same. One would hope he'd pay proper taxes but valuations also aren't his responsibility.

It's just an example of the whacked out shit of these property values.

I don't really care what taxes he was paying... but saying his apartment is valued at $800k when it could actually sell for $17 million is a fucking stupid as some partisan hack judge saying Mar Largo is worth $18M when it could actually sell it for $300M-$400M.... because that's what someone would pay for it.

Of course Stewart wanted his apartment to be valued as little as possible for paying property tax and....

Of course he's going to want to sell it for as much as possible.

7000 square feet in Tribeca for under 2 million dollars? Gimme a break. That's Stewart paying off the assessment office. You won't hear shit from the Libs on that.

Regardless, this story is literally NOTHING like Donald's.
It was not 7,000 sq ft when he purchased it. He converted it to that. The value was probably never reassessed after he renovated it.

Arent both based on tax assessor vs sale price?

IMO all property values are currently inflated in an obscene manner. But I think that's because of underlying market failure. If he bought 2 units and essentially converted them into a luxury penthouse, I could see that being dramatically over-valued for purposes of re-sale. This explains the discrepancy between the price he paid (which I think for both units total was like $9 mil) and the tax percentage, vs what it sold for.

It was not 7,000 sq ft when he purchased it. He converted it to that. The value was probably never reassessed after he renovated it.
A little odd. Typically when purchasing real estate the buyer would want a recent assessment available.

A little odd. Typically when purchasing real estate the buyer would want a recent assessment available.

The fact that this article straight out lied about almost every aspect of Stewart's sale should alert you to the fact that there is probably a lot of missing information/context.

This is literally a partisan hit piece in response to his scathing piece about Trump. And it's another giant "L" for the Murdoch empire.

The fact that this article straight out lied about almost every aspect of Stewart's sale should alert you to the fact that there is probably a lot of missing information/context.

This is literally a partisan hit piece in response to his scathing piece about Trump. And it's another giant "L" for the Murdoch empire.
Undoubtedly. Like an embarrassed toddler lashing out in retort. Except neither scenario being anything alike. Hallmark Trumpian tantrum.

Make no mistake though, greed and corruption are much more aligned with the dollar than any ideology or perceived morality. Greed pisses on politics.

When buying a place you absolutely have to have an up to date appraisal for tax and loan purposes. The thing is for him most of the value came after he bought it through renovation work. At that point an appraisal is not of much value to him and for the city to get taxes on the updated value it is their responsibility to reassess.

When buying a place you absolutely have to have an up to date appraisal for tax and loan purposes. The thing is for him most of the value came after he bought it through renovation work. At that point an appraisal is not of much value to him and for the city to get taxes on the updated value it is their responsibility to reassess.
I wonder if his name and wealth had anything to do with the state forgetting about his...

Back