Leon Edwards is ruining the division!

I still think they should have a clause where if you don’t fight “x” days since your last title defense you’re stripped of the belt. If it’s due to injury you get prio’d for a title shot when you recover, but divisions are just getting held up too much with inactivity

Last edited:
Jones: 0 fights in the last 12 months
Aspinall: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Pereira: 2 fights in the last 12 months
Dricus: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Leon: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Islam: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Topuria: 1 fight in the last 12 months
O'Malley: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Pantoja: 2 fights in the last 12 months

Leon is no less active than other champions, almost all of them only fight once a year.

Last edited:
Its not his fault. UFC insisted on the Colby fight which Colby postponed. Now they don't want to give Belal his shot but won't match Leon up with anyone else.

UFC matchmakers have ruined this sport
UFC matchmaking in the top ten is so, so bad. It is probably my least favorite thing about the sport.

Kevin Holland is the only fighter in the entire top 15 of WW that has a fight booked. No one else does. This is a UFC problem and not a Leon Edwards problem. The UFC just has some of the worst matchmaking now. Embarrassingly bad.
I'd definitely favor Leon, but Edwards/Holland actually doesn't sound like a terrible fight.

He said he wants to be the greatest WW of all time. No way of doing that without fighting...GSP and Matt Hughes had 5 defenses within ≈24 months. Leon's on track for only 2 if he doesn't fight at UFC 304. And he's nearly 33. I don't get it.

Holland got clowned by a 36y/o MVP and by a 40y/o Wonderboy, him vs Leon is definitely a terrible fight
Leon's stylistically a bit different than those two. Doesn't really utilize the karate shit like they do. Like I said, I wouldn'tt favor Holland, but I think it could be entertaining. I'd at least give Kevin at least a small chance too. Nate had Leon on skates not that long ago.

Holy fuck it’s not his fault, he was offered 3 fighters for 300 and said yes too all them, and currently UFC won’t grow a set of nuts and give Remember the name a shot
Normally I would give a fighter the benefit of the doubt but Leon is a boring point fighter with no personality and a leprechaun voice.

Seems like most WW, probably champions in general only fight once every 200 days or so. I did some very quick math based on the longest reigning champions and JJ was the most active at 180 days. Usman, Anderson, DJ, GSP are all well over 200 days.

Jones WAS the most active for the first 2 years he had the title, then as soon as he had a life and death fight with Gus, stopped fighting as often and has fought 9 times in over 10 years since.

Jones: 0 fights in the last 12 months
Aspinall: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Pereira: 2 fights in the last 12 months
Dricus: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Leon: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Islam: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Topuria: 1 fight in the last 12 months
O'Malley: 1 fight in the last 12 months
Pantoja: 2 fights in the last 12 months

Leon is no less active than other champions, almost all of them only fight once a year.
Huh? Where are those numbers coming from?

Pereira has 3 fights in the last year, and 4 fights in the last 13 months.
Islam is fighting in 3 weeks, so that'll be 4 fights in a year and a half,
Aspinall has fought twice in the last year and will have to defend an interim title,
Dricus has fought twice in the last year, and 3 times in 14 months
O'Malley fought twice in 7 months
Topuria seems like he'll be an inactive dud champ, but even he's fought twice in the last year.

Leon has 4 completed fights in the last 5 years and 1 NC with an uneventful round then an eye poke.

Since the start of the ESPN era, it works out that the (proper) belts are contested on average 3 times every 2 years - last year was actually the most active. There is basically a set number of title fights per year, which only varies by a one or two either way per year.

The UFC needs these guys to fill up cards but that is all it cares about. As long as more active champions are stepping up, then the UFC allows other guys to belt squat. As long as their contractual obligations are fulfilled, they don't give a shit.

Inactivity is baked into the cake. You literally cannot have an active champ without an offsetting inactive champ.

He is ruinning by his fightsyle and his inactivity

Back