Legendary Thomas Sowell Retires from Column Writing

Didn't realize he was 86.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Sowell is getting support in this thread considering that he's shit on Trump's economic policies multiple times.

He's interesting in that people will agree with him when he says something that matches their preconceived positions and disagree with him (or disregard him) when he doesn't.

But this is becoming par for the course. Sowell's position on Trump is consistent with his position on everything else from affirmative action to minimum wage. But people will somehow find a way to champion his reasoning only when it results in a conclusion they already brought to the table.

I'm surprised Sowell is getting support in this thread considering that he's shit on Trump's economic policies multiple times.

I think it has to do with Sowell's consistency as a thinker. I don't think he has liked any president for quite some time now. Sowell has an ideal in his mind of how a President should act and Trump falls below that standard. I completely agree with Sowell's views on Trump, but Trump is still a much better candidate than Crooked Hillary.

Just last week I watched hours of Sowell interviews. Brilliant man.

quote-although-the-big-word-on-the-left-is-compassion-the-big-agenda-on-the-left-is-dependency-thomas-sowell-27-85-03.jpg
Professor Peterson takes this even a step further, when he talks about the maternal instincts perpetrated by the left.

Not only do they want dependency from the people they keep under their umbrella of compassion, but they attack mercilessly against anyone who isn't.

It's impressive how many columns he wrote, even if they did get repetitive. I can never get over how war hungry he was with Iran, considering he was/is big with Libertarians but otherwise he's brilliant IMO and made me see things from different perspectives.

Professor Peterson takes this even a step further, when he talks about the maternal instincts perpetrated by the left.

Not only do they want dependency from the people they keep under their umbrella of compassion, but they attack mercilessly against anyone who isn't.

Sowell is retiring, but fortunately, Jordan Peterson is around.

He's interesting in that people will agree with him when he says something that matches their preconceived positions and disagree with him (or disregard him) when he doesn't.

But this is becoming par for the course. Sowell's position on Trump is consistent with his position on everything else from affirmative action to minimum wage. But people will somehow find a way to champion his reasoning only when it results in a conclusion they already brought to the table.
It's almost as though you can agree with one thing a person says, but disagree with something else.

Weird.

He's a reputable economist in the same way Rachel Ray is a world renowned chef.

It's almost as though you can agree with one thing a person says, but disagree with something else.

Weird.

Not weird just inaccurate to my point on this. But since we're revisiting it...

You and someone else might have similar conclusions but you don't have similar reasoning behind those conclusions. Which is why it's often quite wrong to allege that you agree with one thing while disagreeing with something else and use that person as support for your position.

If you agree with their core set of principles and values then you can agree with one and disagree with something else and still reference them on the things you agree on. But if you don't share their core values and principles, it's unreasonable to allege that you and them are of the same mind.

I'll re-use an example from before: I think a baseball team is the because I value pitching. Johnny thinks the same team is the because he values their use of analytics. But I hate analytics. We both like the same team. It's completely disingenuous for Johnny to say "Analytics are what makes a team great...Panamaican and I both think X TEAM is the best in MLB and they have a great analytics team."

That is misrepresenting my position. Yes, Johnny and I both like X TEAM but I hate the very reason that he likes them. Attaching my conclusion to his conclusion without highlighting that we don't actually agree on the core element misrepresents my position on analytics by hiding it behind the similar seeming conclusion. My values are far more important than my conclusions.

Think I'll give Intellectuals and Society a reread in his honour.

Great thinker and great writer. I'm thrown off by his disdain for Trump tho.

Trump has been advocating protectionist policies and tariffs while Sowell is one of the biggest proponents of free trade out there.

The disdain really surprises you?

Back