Legendary Thomas Sowell Retires from Column Writing

D

Devout Pessimist

The legendary Thomas Sowell has retired from writing his weekly insightful column. :(:( Sowell writes:

"Even the best things come to an end. After enjoying a quarter of a century of writing this column for Creators Syndicate, I have decided to stop. Age 86 is well past the usual retirement age, so the question is not why I am quitting, but why I kept at it so long."

I will greatly miss reading Sowell's weekly brilliance. The world could use a few more unique thinkers like Thomas Sowell.

It was very fulfilling to be able to share my thoughts on the events unfolding around us, and to receive feedback from readers across the country — even if it was impossible to answer them all. Being old-fashioned, I liked to know what the facts were before writing. That required not only a lot of research, it also required keeping up with what was being said in the media.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...l-column-perspective-decades-research-writing

Here is Sowell in a 1990 interview with Brian Lamb:

What are your thoughts and favorite Thomas Sowell moments, Sherdog?

quote-the-more-people-who-are-dependent-on-government-handouts-the-more-votes-the-left-can-thomas-sowell-27-85-08.jpg

I enjoy how Thomas Sowell owns this special snowflake over "feelings" education.

"The problem isn't that Johnny can't read. The problem isn't even that Johnny can't think. The problem is that Johnny doesn't know what thinking is: he confuses it with feeling." - Thomas Sowell

A man among men. Happy retirement, mr. Sowell. I hope it is a long and a healthy one.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." - Thomas Sowell

A wise man.

Great thinker and great writer. I'm thrown off by his disdain for Trump tho.

He does have a personality that rubs some people the wrong way, and they're very different types of people. Trump is a doer, Sowell a thinker. The latter often has disdain for the first.

Sowell wrote a column explaining that he is glad Hillary did not win and hopes Trump will be a good president. At least Sowell didn't jump on the "Not My President" crybaby bandwagon. I think Sowell was hoping for a President of greater character than Trump. I think it is reasonable for Sowell to be hesitant to support Trump. He is taking a wait and see approach.

He does have a personality that rubs some people the wrong way, and they're very different types of people. Trump is a doer, Sowell a thinker. The latter often has disdain for the first.

Right but a thinker of Sowells level should be able to easily see when they're just being rubbed the wrong way due to personality.

Right but a thinker of Sowells level should be able to easily see when they're just being rubbed the wrong way due to personality.
You're right. I just try to keep in mind that we all do have our share of blind spots.

I've read much of his work, he's truly one of the very finest.

thomas sowell is quite possibly my favorite living thinker. his ability to articulate his arguments is legendary

I'm surprised Sowell is getting support in this thread considering that he's shit on Trump's economic policies multiple times.

Back