leg press

-V-MuayThai-V-

Banned
Banned
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
hey, i'm getting back into lifting after a long hiatus and I wanna do it right this time. I'm really focusing on getting perfect form and my routine is pretty much built off the stickies. However, I wanna build up to the lower rep work so I dont hurt myself. I'm 20 years old and I've lifted before, but never got too serious.

For now i'm doing 8-12 reps for most excercises. I plan on doing this for 8 weeks, while adding weight and volume, then dropping the reps to 6-8 and then to 5 and below.

I plan on doing 12 rep squats with really light weights for now, so I can perfect my form and get used to going below parallel, but I feel like my legs aren't working to their maximum potential. So on leg day I plan on starting out with my squat (doing 3 or 4 sets of 12) with lower weights, then putting heavy weights on the leg press and doing 3 or 4 sets of 6-8 reps. Does anyone see a problem with this? Is doing the leg press pointless at this point? I plan on cutting it out of my routine once I feel I'm ready to do heavier squats?
 
I really think most people's squats could benefit more from spending more time under the bar. There are those here who will definitely disagree with me, but I think that time would be better spent doing front squats. I'm not as anti leg press as I used to be, but as a beginner I think spending more time squatting is beneficial.
 
As a famous philosopher once said, "The leg press was invented to keep the geeks off the squat rack" :)

But in all seriousness, have you tried doing hack squats? Those may prove to be more beneficial then leg press.
 
The Big Dipper said:
As a famous philosopher once said, "The leg press was invented to keep the geeks off the squat rack" :)

But in all seriousness, have you tried doing hack squats? Those may prove to be more beneficial then leg press.

I think that the legpress has more reasons to exist than the hacksquat.

If your to dead after backsquating to contemplate doing frontsquats its not to bad to throw in a little legpress...
 
I think your plan is a pretty good idea. And as long as you work on form and cant really train your muscles with Squats its a good idea to train them with the legpress.
Of course Fronsuqtas would be abetter choice as an assistance exercise. But you will have to train form on these first as well.
 
krellik said:
I think that the legpress has more reasons to exist than the hacksquat.

The leg press machine is just a pet peeve of mine. People at my gym love to use it, cheat in all sorts of creative ways, and then grunt as if they were moving the earth. All the while the same jokers never step in the squat racks.

I recently started hacks on the advice of a friend. I'm pretty pleased thus far, definately seems like a more taxing exercise in my opinion.
 
The Big Dipper said:
The leg press machine is just a pet peeve of mine. People at my gym love to use it, cheat in all sorts of creative ways, and then grunt as if they were moving the earth. All the while the same jokers never step in the squat racks.

I recently started hacks on the advice of a friend. I'm pretty pleased thus far, definately seems like a more taxing exercise in my opinion.

It is freaking murder on the knees. And when doing basicly the same motion as a squat why not choose another squat variation instead, like frontsquats, zerchers, overheads, etc?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,238,647
Messages
55,577,523
Members
174,827
Latest member
JonSable
Back
Top