Leg Injuries in Muay Thai

amandakissnhug

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting Muay Thai. I've seen fucked up videos of dudes breaking their legs throwing low kicks. My question is:
Is this due to poor technique or is it just a freak thing?
If it is poor technique, what are they doing wrong and how do you prevent this?

freak accidents. All I can say is just condition your shins as much as u can.

How many millions of kicks have been executed safely without injuries? Stats happen.

You're way more likely to break your leg on the en route to your gym than in your gym.

yeah i wouldnt worry about it, its just a freak accident. theres about a 1 in a million chance of that happening to you

those gouys that break their shins never correctly set up their kicks and that is why they get blocked then broken, if u use your hands to properly set those kicks up than u will be fine, but if you telegraph, that is when they get blocked.

I bet the guy in the shin break video was one of those guys that tap sticks on their shins like idiots.

Let me put in perspective for you:

1. Hit by lightning
2. Eaten by shark
3. Win Lottery
4. Break shin

Is it possible to actually toughen up the shin bones? I'm asking because my legs are pretty thin in proportion to the rest of my body and i'm worried that I will be susceptible to leg injuries. Other than lifting weights with my legs like a maniac, what else can I do?

amandakissnhug said:
Is it possible to actually toughen up the shin bones? I'm asking because my legs are pretty thin in proportion to the rest of my body and i'm worried that I will be susceptible to leg injuries. Other than lifting weights with my legs like a maniac, what else can I do?

Mechanical stimulation (read: using the muscles that the bone is attached to) and drinking your milk (as it is known to do a body good) to maintain good bone density and stimulate resorption of old bone matter are about it. Beyond that, human bone is one of the strongest materials on the planet, and there's not too much you can do to toughen it any more.

Is it possible to actually toughen up the shin bones?

Buy a big assed Thai bag.

Kick the hell out of it.

Your shins will get way tougher. Don't know about increasing bone density or actually making the bones stronger/harder but they will become much more effective weapons with practice.

The heavier and harder the bag, the better imho. Since you are new, go to class and kick the thai pads that people hold. Better place to start than a rock hard 200lb thai bag.

They toughen up and stop hurting soon enough.

Another good drill is to find a partner with shins as new as yours and practice checking light kicks.

That is, have him throw a low kick and check it. Then do one back to him. Do this with no pads and kick light enough so it doesn't hurt and is just uncomfortable.

Do say 100 per shins. That is receive 100 and kick 100 with each of you legs. Call it a day and do it again next training day.

That + pads/bag work and you'll have hard assed shins soon.

moodymikey said:
yeah i wouldnt worry about it, its just a freak accident. theres about a 1 in a million chance of that happening to you

I bet the odds are actually a lot safer than that.

Just hitting on the heavy bag is the best thing you can do for your shins. The bones are already tough, it's your nerves in your legs that will really need toughening up. And you will toughen up if you keep at it.

I've literally thrown thousands of kicks and have never injured my leg.

yeah, tapping your shins with pipes, sticks, etc isn't good for you. try rolling bottles over your shins though, that helps.

also, if you're starting out, wear shinguards. and technique-wise, try turning your hips, legs, etc completely over when you throw roundicks, in such a way thati t is the shin/muscle on the outside of the leg that hits target, not just the shin itself.

Don't roll bottles on your shins, that's horrible advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back