News Lee Sun-kyun: Parasite actor, 48, found dead in apparent suicide

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted yet, but what's your thoughts on his death?

It seemed to be a witch-hunt on this guy and pressure got the best of him, unfortunately.

Rest in Peace.

_132146004_gettyimages-1150910499.jpg.webp

South Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun, best known for his role in the Oscar-winning film Parasite, has been found dead in an apparent suicide in central Seoul.

Police found the body of the actor, who was 48, in a car near a city park on Wednesday. They believe Lee took his own life, Yonhap news agency reports.

Police said earlier they had received a report that he had left his home after writing a note.

He had been under investigation for alleged illegal drug use since October.

Lee's body was taken to Seoul National University Hospital after police located his car near Waryong Park. Reports say his family have refused an autopsy and he will be buried on Friday.

Police have begun an investigation to establish the details around his death, including when he arrived at the scene where his body was found, and the time of his death.

In Parasite, Lee played the patriarch of the wealthy Park family which is infiltrated by members of a poor family posing as unrelated individuals. The vicious social satire won four Oscars, including best picture.

Yonhap reported that he was suspected of taking drugs such as marijuana and ketamine with a hostess at a bar in Seoul. He had said that though he took what she gave him, he had not known that they were illicit drugs.

The hostess had reportedly told the police that he used drugs at her home multiple times - something he denied. He had earlier requested through his lawyer to take a lie detector test.

His drug tests had returned negative or inconclusive results, the report added.

Police said they regretted that Lee had died in the midst of investigations, but that the inquiry had been "conducted with [his] consent", News1 Korea reported. Lee underwent three rounds of questioning, with one session last Saturday lasting 19 hours, according to Yonhap.

Lee's agency, HODU&U Entertainment, said in a statement: "There is no way to contain the sorrow and despair. We respectfully ask that you refrain from spreading false facts based on speculation... so that [Lee's] final journey will not be unfair."

News of his death sparked strong reactions online.

"I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him. Rest in peace," read a comment on one of the news reports.

"Aren't celebrities human? People can make mistakes in their lives. It's so sad," said another.

There was also praise for his work.

One fan, writing on X (formerly Twitter), wrote: "I laughed and cried a lot while watching your acting. Thank you."

The actor, who was married to actress Jeon Hye-jin and had two young sons with her, had a career spanning more than two decades.

He starred as the lead in dozens of films and TV shows, becoming a household name through the 2010s.

He rose to international fame with Parasite, as it became the first non-English language film to win the Best Picture Oscar.

In South Korea, celebrities are held to high standards of propriety.

Lee had a squeaky-clean, family-man image prior to his alleged drug use, but reports that emerged from the investigation caused considerable damage to his reputation.

Speaking to reporters in late October before going into a police station for questioning, he said: "I sincerely apologise for causing great disappointment to many people by being involved in such an unpleasant incident.

"I feel sorry for my family, which is enduring such difficult pain at this moment."

Lee was dropped from No Way Out, a mystery TV series that began shooting in October. According to reports, some businesses were seen taking down posters and advertisements featuring Lee from their stores.

Drug offences, including those involving usage of marijuana, are considered serious crimes in South Korea. Consumption of marijuana carries prison sentences of up to five years.

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol has vowed a crackdown on drugs. This year, the country's authorities expanded its drug crimes department and the national police chief promised "a total war" on drug crimes.

Lee is not the only South Korean celebrity who had been investigated for drug use recently. Earlier this month, K-pop star G-Dragon was cleared of drug allegations after weeks of investigations.

Actor Yoo Ah-in is currently standing trial for drug use.

It's pretty huge here in Asia.

It's not just the drug allegation, he have been reported visiting VIP brothel which is another huge no no considering his image.

Korean Netizen is very infamous for being toxic, if you guys think Westerns social medias are filled toxic idiots, Korea's one is much MUCH worst.

One can assume the backlash of these reports caused him tremendous stress from Korean Netizens. I'm just shocked he couldn't handle it at this age, IF that is the real reason he committed suicide. There are plenty of teachers/young celebrities that commit suicides due to social pressure and bullying over the years. The number is shocking.

"under investigation for illicit drug USE"

What the fuck? Korea as a whole should be ashamed that's even a thing.

Yeah they made this a mountain out of a mole hill scenario. Who cares if he took drugs in his private life. Wow, I would hate to live in South Korea.

Last edited:
Yeah they made this a mountain over a mole hill scenario. Who cares if he took drugs in his private life. Wow, I would hate to live in South Korea.

He was actually cleared of drug tests, testing negative on his hair, pee samples. But the female accuser kept escalating the situation, "forcing" the police to go for him the second and third time. The third time he was held by the police, it lasted 19hrs. A day before his death, 26th Dec, he requested the police to identify the female accuser and make her do a lie detector test. He claims the female accuser is blackmailing him for 310m Korean Won.

If you guys think this is crazy, let me share another story that is bonkers. I'm not sure if you guys can find English article to confirm my sharing but *shrug*

Earlier this year, a teacher of 20 years experience committed suicide due to bullying by parents over a span of 4 years.

4 kids bullied their classmate and the teacher stood up to them, sending them to the Principal's office. Their parents instead claims the teacher abused her authority to punish their kids. They even forced her to kneel and apologise in front of their kids. She did.

But they refused to let her off, even after she was no longer their kids class teacher and moved to another school after 3 years. The same parents kept writing complaint letters to their Ministry of Education accusing the teacher of abuse. News claims 370 of these letters per month was sent during this few years.

When the teacher finally committed suicide, Netizens doxxed the parents. Some of them were small business owners.

The most infuriating thing is one of the parents tried to defend her acts, and she said during a play session, her sons hand got slapped by his classmate face. And the teacher overreacted and caused stress to her kid.

Yes, no translation error, she claimed her sons hand got slapped by his classmate face.

Last edited:
What a shame to feel pressured to that degree because you smoked some weed and took some k with a hostess.

There’s something seriously wrong with drug laws. Just legalise and control.

Only group at risk are teenagers and they get everything anyways right now.

Korea sucks
Fd up drug laws and a hypocritical judgey population

things need to change now

I do lay some blame on the guy for caving like this and basically only thinking of himself (left a boatload of turmoil to his two sons)

he died by charcoal burn in a confined space which is a thing in Asia. carbon monoxide poisoning

Shit thing to go after him for.

Shit thing for him to kill himself over.

In a world where (amongst many other horrors) children are getting blown up every day in the name of politics and religion, pathetic something as trivial as taking a few drugs and getting your balls drained has caused such turmoil.

RIP. Seemed like an alright chap.

Their drug laws are crazy. Might still be that way, but it at least used to be illegal to do drugs as a South Korean in ANY country. Not sure if true, but an old Korean friend said they could test you after returning from out of the country, and fine/jail you if you test positive. Crazy.

Asian societies are very strict and obsessed with conformity. If you don't conform to what other people expect you to act, look and behave like, you're a pariah. It's like that phase in high school where everyone tries to fit in and attacks those who don't, but it never ends. I roll my eyes when people put those societies on a pedestal because they don't realize how much freedom and individualism we have here that they just take for granted. Asian societies aren't western societies with less crime and cleaner streets, they come with a whole slew of negative aspects that make you realize how many things we DO get right in the west.

Asian societies are very strict and obsessed with conformity. If you don't conform to what other people expect you to act, look and behave like, you're a pariah. It's like that phase in high school where everyone tries to fit in and attacks those who don't, but it never ends. I roll my eyes when people put those societies on a pedestal because they don't realize how much freedom and individualism we have here that they just take for granted. Asian societies aren't western societies with less crime and cleaner streets, they come with a whole slew of negative aspects that make you realize how many things we DO get right in the west.
bUt aNiMe!!1

RIP. Seemed like an alright chap.

Their drug laws are crazy. Might still be that way, but it at least used to be illegal to do drugs as a South Korean in ANY country. Not sure if true, but an old Korean friend said they could test you after returning from out of the country, and fine/jail you if you test positive. Crazy.
I think I saw some article or something claiming that Japan is the same. But I think also article claimed that unlike in other countries in Japan you can freely buy and consume mushrooms that other countries considers drugs.

I'm more surprised if a film star isn't taking drugs with prostitutes in the West.

Right.

Nobody bats an eye over recreational or low key vices even at a moderate usage rate.

Heavy obvious addiction and debauchery might get some negative headlines depending on the image of the celeb...or it might be just business as usual if it's a rock musician...

Back