International Lebanese Man Holds Bank Hostage; Was Refused Access to OWN Savings to Pay Hospital Bills for Father

he pulled it off

The stand-off eventually ended peacefully with no injuries, after negotiators struck an agreement allowing the suspect to receive $35,000 (£29,000) of his savings upfront, LBC TV channel reported.

he pulled it off

The stand-off eventually ended peacefully with no injuries, after negotiators struck an agreement allowing the suspect to receive $35,000 (£29,000) of his savings upfront, LBC TV channel reported.
And no prison time?!

And no prison time?!

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-lebanon-economy-beirut-af7f9f3bbbfa9b9330632f65ebf7d9ae
“They want to send a message to people that this will not pass easily,” Paul Morcos, founder and owner of Justicia Consulting Law firm in Beirut, said about Hussein’s arrest.

The punishment for taking hostages and threatening people with weapons is usually three months to two years in prison but could reach a life sentence if it was for the purpose of getting money, Morcos said. But he expects Hussein to be released within days or weeks once people forget about what happened.

In January, a coffee shop owner withdrew $50,000 trapped in a bank in eastern Lebanon after taking employees hostage and threatening to kill them. He was released two weeks later.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-lebanon-economy-beirut-af7f9f3bbbfa9b9330632f65ebf7d9ae
“They want to send a message to people that this will not pass easily,” Paul Morcos, founder and owner of Justicia Consulting Law firm in Beirut, said about Hussein’s arrest.

The punishment for taking hostages and threatening people with weapons is usually three months to two years in prison but could reach a life sentence if it was for the purpose of getting money, Morcos said. But he expects Hussein to be released within days or weeks once people forget about what happened.

In January, a coffee shop owner withdrew $50,000 trapped in a bank in eastern Lebanon after taking employees hostage and threatening to kill them. He was released two weeks later.
Lebanon is a weird country.

Interesting. My understanding is that the Banks were instituting their own capital controls because the Government has held off on doing so (no doubt because of how unpopular they'd be). I thought that was only on withdrawing funds in denominations other than the Lebanese Pound though. I wonder where his dad was receiving medical treatment.

Interesting. My understanding is that the Banks were instituting their own capital controls because the Government has held off on doing so (no doubt because of how unpopular they'd be). I thought that was only on withdrawing funds in denominations other than the Lebanese Pound though. I wonder where his dad was receiving medical treatment.

This guy was a delivery driver. And the news says he had $210000 in the bank. Does Lebanon use the same symbol as we do for their money? That seems like a lot for a delivery driver to have.

Go cashless!

No, go get fucked.

We have no reliable barter system in place so a cashless society is one in which we have absolutely no control of our destiny.
Heard an interview on the fool. A guy was ok with cashless bud removing it altogether is like removing the emergency stairs because the elevator is better. Cash is reliable and works without electricity.
Honestly the whole mess today makes me think we need a silver/gold based currency again

The modern banking system is one of the greatest scams ever invented. I can't think of another scam that is so effective and yet so widely accepted.
Go cashless!

No, go get fucked.

We have no reliable barter system in place so a cashless society is one in which we have absolutely no control of our destiny.
This isn't a case of an issue with modern banking as much as it is more evidence of the complete political dysfunction and economic collapse of Lebanon
This guy was a delivery driver. And the news says he had $210000 in the bank. Does Lebanon use the same symbol as we do for their money? That seems like a lot for a delivery driver to have.
I'd bet its worthless due to inflation.

Back