Lead teep to lower gut. Lean back or not?

There you have it. Its about 50/50 here also.

No lean. it's one of the most frustrating things in my gym as guys are taught to do a dramatic lean back with every teep, knee and round kick. I sneakily try to correct them when I'm holding pads but at the same time I won't be a dick and start antagonizing the coach. It's a shitty gym.

Imagine your kicking a door down, would you lean back as you kick it or would you step through with your hips. It's not even a discussion

For the legs, I try not to lean back too much if at all. The hip, maybe a bit. I really only lean if I’m kicking more aggressively. For the defensive “stop ‘em” teep I don’t lean

I like Samart’s teaching of the teep. You can see he barely leans back at all in the latter demo, but leans a lot at the beginning when he’s being more aggressive.

samart has one of the most beautiful teeps from the golden era, whatever he does, follow suit.

Nah I keep my weight centred

Leaning back makes it easier for your opponent to knock you off balance

Whats your martial arts experience ?

10 years of Martial Arts Experience.
8 Smokers 2MMA 6KickBoxing
Boxing Teaching Certifications
4 years of Amateur Wrestling over 250 Matches

Prov Kickboxing Champ
Also have my teaching belt in Self Defense, Japaneese JuJitsu.

Furthermore on that, leaning on a frontkick is not a good idea, If that gets caught and you are leaning you will be dumped.

I don't even know how you can lean on a frontkick without transferring the weight through your hips, if you're leaning on your frontkick without power transfer than you're probably doing it wrong.

EDIT: spelling and stat fix

something could probably be learned from studying this

something could probably be learned from studying this

The hips come forward every time. If you drew a line from their shoulders to the ground, there is no backward movement. The hips come forward and the back arches backwards for balance

The hips come forward every time. If you drew a line from their shoulders to the ground, there is no backward movement. The hips come forward and the back arches backwards for balance

I was originally taught to raise up on the ball of my foot and lean back. It works, is pretty effective, and has a long reach, it has both its advantages and disadvatages. Later on I learned the flat footed way. I still lean back a bit, but not as much as before. Definitely possible to teep without leaning back. Popping the hips with both types of teeps regardless, but I would say now, the lean back is more a by product of popping the hip fwd, then leaning back on purpose.

I like and use both, im a proponent of learning as much as possible. Why teep only 1 way can I can teep multiple you know. I think they both have their pros and cons. I would say the flat foot is more for defensive teeping, and on the toes is more of a attack.

samart talking about flat foot

If you really watch closely and look for it, you will see people raise up on their toes while teeping, i think depending on the situation. You can see some teeping with a raised foot here. They also talk about keeping the back straight.

saenchai-teep-1024x640.jpg

The problem with a static image is that it doesn't give you any idea about the movement, only th e position in that frame. Sanchai fucking launches himself into teep. I bet dollars to donuts that he threw himself halfway across the ring before that landed.
If I'm leaning back and I teep, I move backwards. If I'm moving forwards or driving my hips forwards, my opponent moves back. It's the same principle of what happens if you don't hunch forwards when you check a middle kick

The problem with a static image is that it doesn't give you any idea about the movement, only th e position in that frame. Sanchai fucking launches himself into teep. I bet dollars to donuts that he threw himself halfway across the ring before that landed.
If I'm leaning back and I teep, I move backwards. If I'm moving forwards or driving my hips forwards, my opponent moves back. It's the same principle of what happens if you don't hunch forwards when you check a middle kick

thats one of the problems with the lean back and getting on the toes. You will knock your opponent back, and yourself back as well. Still the lean back gives you the extra reach. Both ways are good. Use the one that will be best at that given moment.

Back