Lead teep to lower gut. Lean back or not?

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Teep lovers. Do you lean back when you teep low? Not as low as the legs. But i am talking about low on the gut / torso.

I dont have a video. Just a photo.

But i coach from another mma/thai gym came to visit us. He told me not to lean back like that.

Attachments

• _20190202_155943.JPG
    _20190202_155943.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 41
In this video I found appears to show a slight lean back caused by more the hip movement to gain more power . If used as a quick push no lean back

Teep lovers. Do you lean back when you teep low? Not as low as the legs. But i am talking about low on the gut / torso.

But i coach from another mma/thai gym came to visit us. He told me not to lean back like that.

Maybe because you leaned to the side. I'm no expert though how MT guys throw their front kicks.

I feel like i have more balance when i lean back a bit.

I also feel like i have better follow up opinions.

@shincheckin

I lean to the side in that photo because its a hybrid side teep

No not when i teep. Only when i do sidekick, spinning kicks, or snap roundhouse.

Honestly my problem in muay thai was always the teep. On the bag i could do it properly to an extent but i could never put my leg all the way straight. In sparring i would do it sometimes but most of the time i would either miss it or if i hit it the guy who be coming towards me and i would get pushed back. If i ever train muay thai again i want to work on that shit too. You should try working on hip mobility or something leaning back is what they always taught me.

I feel like i have more balance when i lean back a bit.

I also feel like i have better follow up opinions.

@shincheckin

I lean back on the teep generally speaking for the most part. its something to play with, i used to lean alot more than I do now. I think the lean will depend on what type of teep your using. Flat footed or on the toes, defensive or offensive. Also worth mentioning the teep with the lean back and rotation of the hips. You might be able to get away without leaning back at all and karate snap front kicking the gut instead.

Leaning back is great for distance, but it can also end up having your weight too far back, so your kick is less a kick and more of a push this can end up pushing you back instead of your opponent. Also leaning back alot requires you to get onto the toes, which only works if your going to be moving forward with the teep, otherwise you will get knocked off balance.

23319042_10215525973928868_3528057129114687538_n.jpg

on the toes here (prob my best teep pic ever)

10429406_10206400511718016_6475712968341506094_n.jpg

Lean back a bit to because you're thrusting your pelvis forward. The picture looks a lot more like a sidekick in which you do have to lean depending on whether you want to throw weight forward (moving forward) or staying place (opponent moves on you).

We talk alot about technique but are people catching your face when you teep them?

The way it's normally taught, it's without leaning for better stability. Usually you should not have to lean (much) for a teep. If you lean too much, you give the impression that you overreach because you don't have good distance management, and that you compromise your stability, which is kinda of a big deal in "pure" MT.

Of course, it's never that simple during a fight:

Depends on what you want to do, the timing and your movement compared to your opponent.

Not the same if you just want to strike or if you want to stop him. Strike, you lean.
Not the same if you move backwards, you chase him down, or are stationary. You chase, you lean.
Not the same if you throw it in a close range, or just outside the kicking range. Outside, you lean.

I lean to the side in that photo because its a hybrid side teep

Looks about right for a side teep, your centre of mass is over your base leg so the balance should be fine, and you do need to lean when throwing that way to get your hips aligned properly.

For a conventional style front leg teep, it's usually no lean or just a slight backwards lean to adjust for distance & balance. I preferred a slight backwards lean since it helped me retract & get my kicking leg back down with more control after the kick, with no lean it felt like I was coming down a bit too front leg heavy after the kick, especially if I missed.

No leaning, the only leaning is done is bcacause of power transfer through hips

When I remember I always try to practice without the lean. Better said than done, though.

Reasons for that would be that when you lean back the next thing your head does is fall forward.

I opened a thread a million years ago asking for advice on my low kicks and someone taught me this concept of always bracing your abs and keep your head over your standing leg when kicking.

This video illustrates it very well:

For the legs, I try not to lean back too much if at all. The hip, maybe a bit. I really only lean if I’m kicking more aggressively. For the defensive “stop ‘em” teep I don’t lean

I like Samart’s teaching of the teep. You can see he barely leans back at all in the latter demo, but leans a lot at the beginning when he’s being more aggressive.

The lean back should be to use pelvic twist thrust.

Also it should be minimal backward movement more like a reflex flick, a set of movements all as one action.

You don't just want to telegraph that you will kick, if you give it away you lose it to a grab or sweep.

I would practice that as a mobility exercise until its one quick move not a set of steps or separate movements.

Needs to be fluid with good root from the ground and fast and strong release.

A whip effect!

Last edited:
The more narrow your stance is at initiation of technique, the less you have to lean.

If you have a more balanced/wider stance, then it is almost impossible to not sway back at least a little bit, to counterbalance picking up a leg you theretofore have been grounding a portion of your weight through.

If you are thrusting forward with power (ie, glute contraction), then unless you want to take a step forward afterwards, you must lean at least a little bit, a necessary counterbalance in order to be able to retract your leg.

No leaing back. Your hips come forward, thats why it looks like your leaning back on a still photo. Stand side on to a mirror and put a piece of tape where your head is. Tour head should stay around the same spot when you teep, but your hip should pop out forwards with your leg

Back