lead hand body shot

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Having trouble throwing my lead hook to the body? I don't know what it is maybe a insecure issues about face being open or lacking a set up but did or does anyone else have trouble throwing a hard shovel hook and what are you doing to fix it? Can anyone give me tips/pointers on this

You throw to the body to end a fight and you have to set it up a little bit. Nobody throws a lead body shot unless they have confidence and the body is open at some point in the middle of a round.

i wonder about this too. locche leads with it sometimes.

I'm pretty sure he always used a subtle feint before throwing it as a lead.

If you're going to lead with it, you better have your opponent thinking you're going to throw somewhere else other than to the body.

Without seeing how you throw it, its going to be hard to tell exactly what's wrong. But throw it off a jab or feint. I usually throw it after a jab and slip. Also make sure you are bending your knees to lower levels instead of just dropping your hand.

Having trouble throwing my lead hook to the body? I don't know what it is maybe a insecure issues about face being open or lacking a set up but did or does anyone else have trouble throwing a hard shovel hook and what are you doing to fix it? Can anyone give me tips/pointers on this

Thats what got Chuck knocked out against Rampage. I dont have any tips I'm with you, thats a scary punch to throw because your right, it feels like you are leaving yourself wide open for a counter hook.

chucks wasnt a hook to the body, just a body shot from way out.

Lead hook to the body is one of my favorite punches to throw, especially against a defensive fighter with a high guard. It can be very risky, as can any punch, if you don't set it up properly.
Here are a few techniques that help setup the lead hook the body:
- Slip and duck your opponents rear straight punch(assuming they are orthodox) then immediatly uncork your body unloading the lead hook to the body
- Throw a very light but fast hook to the head to get their gaurd up high then instantly duck down to the body. Even if you just touch with the first hook lightly to the head it can be enough to bring their guard up
- Fake/ exaggerate and telograph a big right(rear) hand to the head, again your goal is to bring their guard up.
Obviously these are just sugguestions. As long as you set this up properly the lead hook to the body an be very affective if done carefully.

Lead hook to the body is one of my favorite punches to throw, especially against a defensive fighter with a high guard. It can be very risky, as can any punch, if you don't set it up properly.
Here are a few techniques that help setup the lead hook the body:
- Slip and duck your opponents rear straight punch(assuming they are orthodox) then immediatly uncork your body unloading the lead hook to the body
- Throw a very light but fast hook to the head to get their gaurd up high then instantly duck down to the body. Even if you just touch with the first hook lightly to the head it can be enough to bring their guard up
- Fake/ exaggerate and telograph a big right(rear) hand to the head, again your goal is to bring their guard up.
Obviously these are just sugguestions. As long as you set this up properly the lead hook to the body an be very affective if done carefully.

My three favorite ways. Plus you can tap a high jab and recoil and uncork a liver shot.

Another way is to just collapse their space with pressure and get inside.

IMO, the key to getting real power on this shot is the weight transfer. I see guys throw this shot all the time with too much weight on the front foot, or they'll press up off the lead leg when throwing it...... both these habits significantly diminish the power your able to get on the shot. If ya want to really dig this shot in, you have to keep your weight lower and drive off the front foot transferring your weight straight back --- to the rear foot vs. transferring the weight up /

As for the best way to set it up, it's more about positioning than any specific punch or feint. Ideally, you want the point of your lead hip slightly outside the point of your opponents rear hip and your rear shoulder to the left of your opponents center-line (your rear shoulder should be lined up closer to his rear shoulder).

Personally, I think the best way to set it up is doubling/tripling off the lead with elevation change, high to low for body hook (helps establish position). I.E: jab low, jab high, lead hook body..... or jab, lead hook high (slapping hook to get gloves up), lead hook body..... or my personal favorite; feint jab, lead uc (short shot, just to raise up guard, pop up chin), lead hook body. If I really want to get maximum power into the shot, then......jab, feint cross, lead hook body. or jab, rear uc (set up shot), lead hook body.

Find some YT clips of Saul Alvarez, Saul IMO throws one of the best left hooks to the body and is very good at setting it up (particularly behind his rear UC).

IMO, the key to getting real power on this shot is the weight transfer. I see guys throw this shot all the time with too much weight on the front foot, or they'll press up off the lead leg when throwing it...... both these habits significantly diminish the power your able to get on the shot. If ya want to really dig this shot in, you have to keep your weight lower and drive off the front foot transferring your weight straight back --- to the rear foot vs. transferring the weight up /

As for the best way to set it up, it's more about positioning than any specific punch or feint. Ideally, you want the point of your lead hip slightly outside the point of your opponents rear hip and your rear shoulder to the left of your opponents center-line (your rear shoulder should be lined up closer to his rear shoulder).

Personally, I think the best way to set it up is doubling/tripling off the lead with elevation change, high to low for body hook (helps establish position). I.E: jab low, jab high, lead hook body..... or jab, lead hook high (slapping hook to get gloves up), lead hook body..... or my personal favorite; feint jab, lead uc (short shot, just to raise up guard, pop up chin), lead hook body. If I really want to get maximum power into the shot, then......jab, feint cross, lead hook body. or jab, rear uc (set up shot), lead hook body.

Find some YT clips of Saul Alvarez, Saul IMO throws one of the best left hooks to the body and is very good at setting it up (particularly behind his rear UC).

lol thats how fast canelo is... he has really solid combos, every punch loads the next punch perfectly... Ive seen how he setups his left hooks with his rear uppercut in slowmotion, pretty nasty.. he knows how to pull the trigger lol always a string of 4+ punch combos

I like to throw a leading left hook to the body off of a sway or after faking a jab. Bob and weave my way to the right position and let it rip.

Followed by a left hook to the head. That's gold

lol thats how fast canelo is... he has really solid combos, every punch loads the next punch perfectly... Ive seen how he setups his left hooks with his rear uppercut in slowmotion, pretty nasty.. he knows how to pull the trigger lol always a string of 4+ punch combos

He does put together his combinations very well and he throws shot's with serious bad intention. However, he does tend to abandon his defense when he get's offensively aggressive (which is far more often than not) and he's not really a tough guy to hit....... Just a tough guy to be hit by! I think he'll have to make some adjustments if he intends on continuing his success against the "top fighters", particularly against defensively sound counter punchers. (I.E: Austin Trout, which I think is also a bad fight for Saul)

I'd really like to see him fight Golovkin next, it'd be a great fight IMO and would tell us a lot more about either of those guys........ and who's the "truth". From what I have seen of Golovkin, he's got the goods, but has yet to show that against top level fighters. However, if he makes the Floyd fight, it's a great paycheck for sure...... but the adjustments he'd have to make in order to be competitive against PBF are significant. He's looked better and better, but IMO he's still not ready to be in the ring with Floyd. His defense will be easily exploited......... bad!

Last edited:
I like to throw a leading left hook to the body off of a sway or after faking a jab. Bob and weave my way to the right position and let it rip.

Followed by a left hook to the head. That's gold

Joe Frazier 101!

I'm not disagreeing per say but I would like to mention what you said not to do is a way to determine if you have power in the shot or not. There have been guys with monster punches but poor technique and sure if their tech was better their punches would be harder. I just don't want anyone thinking that it's going to magically turn a decent shot into a KO shot.

To add on to body shots, they are a tricky thing. You could have a good body shot and not know it because of the effects of it take a while to kick in. Its very deceptive and one the most discipline things a fighter can do. You have to be patient with them. As Mike McCallum once said it's like putting money in the bank.

I'm not disagreeing per say but I would like to mention what you said not to do is a way to determine if you have power in the shot or not. There have been guys with monster punches but poor technique and sure if their tech was better their punches would be harder. I just don't want anyone thinking that it's going to magically turn a decent shot into a KO shot.

To add on to body shots, they are a tricky thing. You could have a good body shot and not know it because of the effects of it take a while to kick in. Its very deceptive and one the most discipline things a fighter can do. You have to be patient with them. As Mike McCallum once said it's like putting money in the bank.

Well said, and I do agree. Some guy's just hit hard, regardless. I don't think a guy without big punching power will suddenly develop 1 shot power, but I do think that executing techniques in the most effective manner will improve the effectiveness of the shot, which is all one can really hope to accomplish.

No doubt, body punching is an art and takes dedication and practice along with patience. The results of landing a good body shot are often dismissed by spectators, but they ain't ever dismissed by the guy who got hit with them! A good shot in the chin will get the oooohs and awwwws, but it will only get your opponents attention for a short while (assuming he's still standing). The thing about body punching though, when ya get hit you stay hit!

He does put together his combinations very well and he throws shot's with serious bad intention. However, he does tend to abandon his defense when he get's offensively aggressive (which is far more often than not) and he's not really a tough guy to hit....... Just a tough guy to be hit by! I think he'll have to make some adjustments if he intends on continuing his success against the "top fighters", particularly against defensively sound counter punchers. (I.E: Austin Trout, which I think is also a bad fight for Saul)

I'd really like to see him fight Golovkin next, it'd be a great fight IMO and would tell us a lot more about either of those guys........ and who's the "truth". From what I have seen of Golovkin, he's got the goods, but has yet to show that against top level fighters. However, if he makes the Floyd fight, it's a great paycheck for sure...... but the adjustments he'd have to make in order to be competitive against PBF are significant. He's looked better and better, but IMO he's still not ready to be in the ring with Floyd. His defense will be easily exploited......... bad!

Canelo's problem seems to be his lack of head movement and that his defense seems to rely almost exclusively on his guard and power . His chin seems decent (so far) but not great so IMO his defensive strategy isn't the greatest considering his build (short n stocky).
His footwork seems lacking a little (speed ? quickness ? too plodding ?) so it seems more understandable why they keep him away from other hard hitters (Angulo) slick boxers (Lara) Trout ( haven't really watched him much) and why theyre so insistent on Cotto / Mayweather or bust.
It's because theres nobody left for him but the better guys and if (when) he loses to them then there's no PBF fight. Better to lose to him now than not get I'm later.

IMO he isn't ready for PBF at all . He hasn't fought one slick boxer or counterpuncher with good feet , as a prep and now he's gonna jump in wih the best ?
His only chance is a one hit shot but he hasn't shown that one hit ko power (afaik) so even that is up in he air.

Apparently he n golovkin sparred 5-6 rounds and he got buzzed pretty handily.

Well said, and I do agree. Some guy's just hit hard, regardless. I don't think a guy without big punching power will suddenly develop 1 shot power, but I do think that executing techniques in the most effective manner will improve the effectiveness of the shot, which is all one can really hope to accomplish.

No doubt, body punching is an art and takes dedication and practice along with patience. The results of landing a good body shot are often dismissed by spectators, but they ain't ever dismissed by the guy who got hit with them! A good shot in the chin will get the oooohs and awwwws, but it will only get your opponents attention for a short while (assuming he's still standing). The thing about body punching though, when ya get hit you stay hit!

I'm about 6'3 fighting guys at WW - MW.
I almost never get to body punch save for straights .

Last edited:
Back