lead hand body shot

Canelo's problem seems to be his lack of head movement and that his defense seems to rely almost exclusively on his guard and power . His chin seems decent (so far) but not great so IMO his defensive strategy isn't the greatest considering his build (short n stocky).
His footwork seems lacking a little (speed ? quickness ? too plodding ?) so it seems more understandable why they keep him away from other hard hitters (Angulo) slick boxers (Lara) Trout ( haven't really watched him much) and why theyre so insistent on Cotto / Mayweather or bust.
It's because theres nobody left for him but the better guys and if (when) he loses to them then there's no PBF fight. Better to lose to him now than not get I'm later.

IMO he isn't ready for PBF at all . He hasn't fought one slick boxer or counterpuncher with good feet , as a prep and now he's gonna jump in wih the best ?
His only chance is a one hit shot but he hasn't shown that one hit ko power (afaik) so even that is up in he air.

Apparently he n golovkin sparred 5-6 rounds and he got buzzed pretty handily.

I think Canelo is fighting Trout next... at least theres a rumour about it... would be a nice fight to test his defense, as Trout likes to stay on the outside, counterpunching a bit (from what ive seen).. hes also a southpaw..

Canelo was pretty much forced into the Trout fight .

Money May's a funny guy.

Canelo was pretty much forced into the Trout fight .

Money May's a funny guy.

Yep, and I think it's a terrible fight for him. Trout is no joke and will be an extremely tough opponent, without the big name or big check (it could easily turn into a boring fight)........... I am a big fan of Saul, he is one of my current favorite guys to watch fight, but this fight (if it happens) really worries me. Like ya mentioned, his defense is lacking and his footwork is a bit sluggish at times (definitely in comparison to his hand speed). His aggressive style and combination punching are top notch, I like his body work too. But as you pointed out, against Trout he's gonna have some issues with being able to press the pace and force a "fight". Trout is deceivingly quick footed and very defensively sound, not a big puncher but not an easy guy to draw into a brawl either........ Coming off the Cotto win, Saul is an ideal opponent for Trout as he'll likely fight him much the same as he did Cotto.

Watched trout .
Didn't like him too much.
Not saying he sucks but just not my type.

Watched trout .
Didn't like him too much.
Not saying he sucks but just not my type.

He aint much fun to watch, no doubt. Not a fighter I'd really be excited to see fight, at all. Still, he's effective and his style of fighting is ideal for forcing an aggressive puncher into a point boxing match....... which he has been very successful in accomplishing. He's got real quick feet, a good jab (active jab for sure), is deceivingly slick defensively, and is seemingly awkward offensively (even more so given he's a SP), but nonetheless he is effective. On top of that, he is physically a really big guy at 154 (definitely bigger than Saul).

Not a fan of seeing Saul in this fight, it's a fight that he likely doesn't look good in whether or not he wins or loses and he's the "draw" or the "recognizable" fighter in that bout (i.e: i compare this fight to Mosely vs Mora). It's IMO a much better fight for Trout when you look at risk vs reward. I like Saul and really want to see him in big fights, just not this one.

Then again, apparently Austin just got himself into some trouble on NYE....... which may make this a moot point.

Yeah for suspicion of public drunkenness . Let me repeat the not so obvious fact......suspicion . Not that he was found doing something that would just get him sent to bed with a few dirty looks in the morning. No , he's suspected of doing that......WTF ?

I'm sure they'll let him fight before they cart him off to Alcatraz.

:rolleyes:

Pea brained cops....... I wouldn't be surprised if they fell victim to ABS.

Btw here's a reenactment of Trout's arrest :

I'm really bad at landing this shot. I always feel like I have a huge distance to travel to land it. I think that probably stems from the fact that I rarely fight on the inside, preferring to throw round kicks, teeps, and straight punches from the outside. But, feeling more comfortable with my hooks, uppercuts, and knees, I'm gonna have to figure it out sometime.

I'm really bad at landing this shot. I always feel like I have a huge distance to travel to land it. I think that probably stems from the fact that I rarely fight on the inside, preferring to throw round kicks, teeps, and straight punches from the outside. But, feeling more comfortable with my hooks, uppercuts, and knees, I'm gonna have to figure it out sometime.

If your throwing it squared up with your opponent, it's gonna make it feel like you're having to reach for it, unless it's thrown as a counter (elevation change) or your opponents backed into ropes/fence. A subtle pivot or lateral step and you'll notice a drastic difference in the range needed to land body shots. Footwork is more important in becoming consistently effective as a body puncher than in any other offensive attack. What typically deters newer fighters from really focusing on body punching is that they feel they have to crowd or smother their opponent and/or abandon their defense to do so......... But with a few subtle refinements to their footwork all that changes and attacking the body becomes a much higher percentage attack than the head.

Thing is, I almost never stand squared up. But I have trouble pivoting without the opponent immediately compensating. Perhaps I need to work on threatening with the right while I pivot or something--occupy them with a feint or throwaway punch in order to step into position for the body. I have a tendency to over think and hunt for shots I want, rather than just taking the ones that are open to me.

IMO, the key to getting real power on this shot is the weight transfer. I see guys throw this shot all the time with too much weight on the front foot, or they'll press up off the lead leg when throwing it...... both these habits significantly diminish the power your able to get on the shot. If ya want to really dig this shot in, you have to keep your weight lower and drive off the front foot transferring your weight straight back --- to the rear foot vs. transferring the weight up /

Definitely. One good cue I always think of is to think of trying to stab your opponent in the guts with your punch, it makes me dig the punch in more when I think like that. And I also concentrate on my front hip driving in the direction of my opponent.

Thing is, I almost never stand squared up. But I have trouble pivoting without the opponent immediately compensating. Perhaps I need to work on threatening with the right while I pivot or something--occupy them with a feint or throwaway punch in order to step into position for the body. I have a tendency to over think and hunt for shots I want, rather than just taking the ones that are open to me.

Yeah doing something like this helps. I always think that to throw that lead body shot I need to be moving in a direction toward the side I'm targeting to get the angle before I pivot. My favourite is the 1-2 body shot. For me the key is that I step slightly to the left with each punch before I pivot and throw the body shot. So I end up travelling in a subtle clockwise direction to get on my opponents right flank. You can do the same with the double jab - body shot or the 1 3 body shot setup but I personally prefer the 1 2 because it puts me in a left slip position from which I'm perfectly set to pivot from.

You achieve a better angle with the preceding punches/steps and you occupied your opponent and hid your pivot.

Back