Lauzon vs Miller is example of how injuries can sometimes be blessing in disguise.

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think its safe to say that Maynard getting injured was a blessing in disguise. We got to see one of the best and bloodiest fights of the year in Millier vs Lauzon, and it coulda easily been a wrestle F*** by Maynard if he had fought. Most of the time when someone gets injured in a high profile fight, the replacements usually dont stack up, i.e. Mendes vs Yaotzin. Im so glad we got the Miller vs Lauzon fight now as im sure most of you are. Thoughts?

Maynard wouldn't of wrestle fucked Lauzon. He would of blasted him in to outer space.

I take it you don't watch many Maynard fights? He hasn't wrestle fucked anyone in years.

Maynard likes to stand and trade now a days...

OK maybe im wrong but maybe you are too. Can we just agree that Maynard getting injured was a blessing in disguise after that fight?

OK maybe im wrong but maybe you are too. Can we just agree that Maynard getting injured was a blessing in disguise after that fight?

yes it was a blessing. maynard absolutely crushed Miller and is on a completely different level than either guy. If maynard fought Lauzon he would of likely won a dominant UD. Him getting injured gave us a far more competitive fight.

I can't agree with that. Maynard put on 2 fight of the year performances in 2011. He also tried his best to save the Guida fight. He would of had a fun scrap with Joe imo.

I love Joe. that being said I don't think he knows how to throw a counter hook or anything counterwise

I thought you were gonna say the cut kept the fight from seeming boring. Which it kinda did.

I think its safe to say that Maynard getting injured was a blessing in disguise. We got to see one of the best and bloodiest fights of the year in Millier vs Lauzon, and it coulda easily been a wrestle F*** by Maynard if he had fought. Most of the time when someone gets injured in a high profile fight, the replacements usually dont stack up, i.e. Mendes vs Yaotzin. Im so glad we got the Miller vs Lauzon fight now as im sure most of you are. Thoughts?

Nice to see that the "Just Bleed" Guy still watches MMA and even posts on Sherdog.

Make no mistake about it. The main reason of why it was such a good fight is because of Lauzon's heart.

True. But I would've LOVED to see Joe upset Maynard.

True. But I would've LOVED to see Joe upset Maynard.

That is what I was hoping for. My whole problem with this fight is I like both guys. Wouldn't have had that problem with Maynard.

so he got destroyed by a poor man's Maynard yet you think he could of upset Gray? Gray would of pulverized Lauzon.

Gray is a bad match up for Joe and would hurt him but I think Joe is capable of pulling off a sub in that fight. Wouldn't bet on it happening though.

so he got destroyed by a poor man's Maynard yet you think he could of upset Gray? Gray would of pulverized Lauzon.

Miller a "poor man's Maynard".

I feel dumb for even acknowledging you, but I just want to point out that these two fighters have much different skill-sets.

Maynard wouldn't of wrestle fucked Lauzon. He would of blasted him in to outer space.

I take it you don't watch many Maynard fights? He hasn't wrestle fucked anyone in years.

Just because Maynard didn't use a lot of wrestling fighting Edgar (who is an excellent wrestler himself and difficult to take down) and Guida (fairly one dimensional wrestler, with mediocre stand up, why wouldn't he stand there?) doesn't mean he wouldn't have taken Lauzon down.. Did you enjoy Maynard's last fight which got him his title shot against Florian?

Poor man's Maynard? The similarities between the two end with their top control. Jim has a more diverse array of strikes and is a far more talented submission artist. That's not to say that Jim would beat Gray, just that they are entirely different fighters.

Maynard would have raped Lauzon, but Lauzon's scrappyness probably would have kept him in it (or he would have gotten finished) so we likely would have seen a similar fight perhaps minus hte blood.

i think it was more of quality fighter stepping up, not injury leading to a better fight

Im grateful to both Miller and Lauzon for what i think was FOTY, but Maynard would have put Joe to sleep within a couple of rounds.

Just because Maynard didn't use a lot of wrestling fighting Edgar (who is an excellent wrestler himself and difficult to take down) and Guida (fairly one dimensional wrestler, with mediocre stand up, why wouldn't he stand there?) doesn't mean he wouldn't have taken Lauzon down.. Did you enjoy Maynard's last fight which got him his title shot against Florian?

There's nothing to fear from Florian's guard, at least from Maynard's point of view
He would have just beat up Lauzon on the feet

Back