Lauzon vs Miller is example of how injuries can sometimes be blessing in disguise.

Yea the last time Gray really wrestle fucked anybody was against Florian and that was quite a while ago. This was an amazing fight though. War Jersey!

Yea the last time Gray really wrestle fucked anybody was against Florian and that was quite a while ago. This was an amazing fight though. War Jersey!

And he didnt even really intend to, from the looks of it.

He was making Kenny over-commit to strikes and would move out the way, and get him down if he so pleased.
Kenny's one of my favorite fighters, but he got kind of clowned by Gray. It looked way too easy for Maynard.

Lauzon's an inferior version of Kenny, though a more voracious version, but i think that plays into Gray's gamebook even more.

Who knows maybe Gray could've put on some kind of epic nasty beatdown or sick KO. He would've smashed Lauzon way worse somehow. Yet Joe always brings it so that fight would've been exciting as long as it lasted too.

And he didnt even really intend to, from the looks of it.

He was making Kenny over-commit to strikes and would move out the way, and get him down if he so pleased.
Kenny's one of my favorite fighters, but he got kind of clowned by Gray. It looked way too easy for Maynard.

Lauzon's an inferior version of Kenny, though a more voracious version, but i think that plays into Gray's gamebook even more.

Lauzon is way more unpredictable than Florian.

I understand Maynard being a huge favorite in the fight, but as long as Joe isn't gassed, he could always get the finish.

Poor man's Maynard? The similarities between the two end with their top control. Jim has a more diverse array of strikes and is a far more talented submission artist. That's not to say that Jim would beat Gray, just that they are entirely different fighters.

he has a more diverse array of strikes but he's a lesser striker.

Probably a bad example calling him a poor man's Gray. It's just he's a far lesser fighter.

There's a reason Gray dominated Miller and beat Nate(in a stand up only fight).

Gray is a level above both Miller, Lauzon, Nate and all the other guys in the 7-15 range(besides maybe Pettis).

Btw Gray took Florian down so much because Kenny refused to engage on the feet. I still don't understand why Florian's handlers decided to change the fundamental way he fought when he got fights with Maynard, Penn, and Aldo. Sure maybe he was over matched but at least go out fighting your fight rather than being super, duper tentative.

What's with this myth that Maynard wrestlefucks every fight?

I think its safe to say that Maynard getting injured was a blessing in disguise. We got to see one of the best and bloodiest fights of the year in Millier vs Lauzon, and it coulda easily been a wrestle F*** by Maynard if he had fought. Most of the time when someone gets injured in a high profile fight, the replacements usually dont stack up, i.e. Mendes vs Yaotzin. Im so glad we got the Miller vs Lauzon fight now as im sure most of you are. Thoughts?
Too bad your New Years wish of "I'm going to try to be less stupid" was blown so early.
Maynard would have knocked Joe senseless early and often; that was a mismatch.
Miller/Lauzon was a fairly competitive match up.

That is what I was hoping for. My whole problem with this fight is I like both guys. Wouldn't have had that problem with Maynard.
Little doubt that Gray would be less than thrilled with you as well, sailor.

Miller a "poor man's Maynard".

I feel dumb for even acknowledging you, but I just want to point out that these two fighters have much different skill-sets.
Watch Maynard/Miller.
You're absolutely correct about the skill sets; and the different levels of the two.
Do you see the difference, einstein?

I disagree op. Maynard wouldn't risk getting subbed on the ground. Use reverse wrestling and keep the fight standing. Probabaly knock Joe the fuck out.
I will agree it was a blessing in disguise. One of the best fights of the year.

Little doubt that Gray would be less than thrilled with you as well, sailor.

That has nothing to do with anything. I'm a fan and paying consumer of the sport. I get to have opinions on fighters and voice them on a forum dedicated to the sport.

I've met Maynard, I don't particularly like him, but I do appreciate his ability and work ethic. So depending on who he's fighting I cheer against him, but not always.

Just because Maynard didn't use a lot of wrestling fighting Edgar (who is an excellent wrestler himself and difficult to take down) and Guida (fairly one dimensional wrestler, with mediocre stand up, why wouldn't he stand there?) doesn't mean he wouldn't have taken Lauzon down.. Did you enjoy Maynard's last fight which got him his title shot against Florian?
Maynard beat Florian everywhere the fight went.
Maynard busted Florians face open with a right hook that ended any enthusiasm on Kennys part to win that fight.

True. Love Maynard (think he has the best shot to beat bendo) but glad we got to see this war.

Lauzon vs Etim, Terry gets hurt and were blessed with Lauzon vs Varner. My pick for foty.

Lauzon vs Maynard, Grey gets hurt and were again blessed with Lauzon vs Miller.

Let's hope for more replacement fighter's against Lauzon!

I would have rather Maynard not get injured
Actually, it turned out for the best, in a big way.
Gray and his Fiance had a beautiful baby Girl NY Eve.
The injury was a blessing in disguise for all concerned. An awesome fight for the fans and a Dad being there with his new born.

That has nothing to do with anything. I'm a fan and paying consumer of the sport. I get to have opinions on fighters and voice them on a forum dedicated to the sport.

I've met Maynard, I don't particularly like him, but I do appreciate his ability and work ethic. So depending on who he's fighting I cheer against him, but not always.

If he met you, from the sound of it, you no doubt left a lasting impression on him as well. Go and "consumer" yourself, mental dwarf.

Lauzon vs Etim, Terry gets hurt and were blessed with Lauzon vs Varner. My pick for foty.

Lauzon vs Maynard, Grey gets hurt and were again blessed with Lauzon vs Miller.

Let's hope for more replacement fighter's against Lauzon!

Great observation. win/win for all.

Back