[Late night thoughts] 30s are a weird age

Well, like I said it's a biological urge, it doesn't have to make sense.
Well, we evolved enough to control biological urges. Plus condoms are the greatest invention of mankind, use them. ;)
And I am 90% sure you're an atheist so I won't even bother with the "Be fruitful and multiply" verse taken from The Bible.
Actually more of a secular Buddhist.
My demiclones belong in the popuation, I don't care how arrogant it sounds, lol.
It does but you do you.
You alright, bro?
Going through a rough patch right now for sure but the depression stats aren't just about me. It's been getting worse, especially for the young ppl. The pandemic is only going to ramp up the numbers...

20052.jpeg

5c927ddd4f07ae5d161a603f

https://www.massgeneral.org/news/coronavirus/depression-on-rise-dring-covid-19
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...on-rise-among-everyone-new-data-shows-n873146
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...ion-triples-us-adults-amid-covid-19-stressors

Going through a rough patch right now for sure but the depression stats aren't just about me. It's been getting worse, especially for the young ppl. The pandemic is only going to ramp up the numbers...

20052.jpeg

5c927ddd4f07ae5d161a603f

I agree about the depression. My only hope is that mental health checks will be as common physical health checks. Idunno about more plagues and global war and allat.

It does but you do you.

That goes without say brotha. :cool:

Well, we evolved enough to control biological urges.

We've created social rules to suppress our basic instincts, the human experience is a constant struggle between biology and social norm. Humans constantly slip up.

Plus condoms are the greatest invention of mankind, use them. ;)

Wait, is that to me? Lol.

I'm referring to us as a whole. There are tons if birth control options and *I'd still wager an overwhelming number of pregnancies aren't planned. We can come out with thousands of more forms of birth control and that still probably won't change.

How'd we get to this convo anyway? Haha

*Just looked it up. According to Wikipedia it's a little less than half. Point still stands.

Last edited:
Maybe I bloomed early (haha) but I had it made at 27 - good job, good girl, enough money to travel and live a good life. 27 to 30 were my GOAT years. I just turned 34 last week and life's a bitch. Injuries coming back, wife really let herself go, baby taking away my sleep and free time, stressed out at work... I know these are 1stworld problems but they pile up and next thing I know I'm going to therapy after getting suicidal. Feeling better now after therapy but it didn't change my life so still bummed.

My dad says his GOAT years were 40-45 when I was old enough to travel with or leave with fam to travel alone... I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear you went through shitty times. I think your karate is shit but I also have a lot of respect for you. Glad it's getting better though.

My GOAT years were 32-35. Now at 40 I am getting older definitely. Seems that having my first child accelerated the fuck out of the aging process. But I am super happy as a family man, so I have that to compensate.

I agree about the depression. My only hope is that mental health checks will be as common physical health checks. Idunno about more plagues and global war and allat.
Pretty sure new plagues and war are coming. Tribalism and anti-science are on the rise again, the planet is being ruined too. Besides, we already have at least 2 ongoing wars in the so-called civilized world: Russia vs Ukraine and Azerbaijan vs Armenia.
We've created social rules to suppress our basic instincts, the human experience is a constant struggle between biology and social norm. Humans constantly slip up.
That's true - and another reason for the spike in depression and mental ilness.
Wait, is that to me? Lol.
To everyone. Use condoms.
I'm referring to us as a whole. There are tons if birth control options and *I'd still wager an overwhelming number of pregnancies aren't planned. We can come out with thousands of more forms of birth control and that still probably won't change.
We need education and more secularism, less religious fanatics. For example, Poland just banned abortions due to pressure from the Polish church and "traditional" views of the ruling party. At the same time child abuse by priests is being swept under the rug. Plus teenage pregnancy on the rise. This is insane and must stop.

Sorry to hear you went through shitty times. I think your karate is shit but I also have a lot of respect for you. Glad it's getting better though.

My GOAT years were 32-35. Now at 40 I am getting older definitely. Seems that having my first child accelerated the fuck out of the aging process. But I am super happy as a family man, so I have that to compensate.
Thanks man. I also think my karate is shit, which is my I moved on. ;) Still better than Aikido.

"having my first child accelerated the fuck out of the aging process" - I second that. That's why my first is also my last. I don't think I could survive another round of that.

"But I am super happy as a family man, so I have that to compensate"
- would you mind sharing where that happiness is coming from? I mean, I have these heart-melting moments sometimes but it's just fucking hard work and stress most of the time.

Thanks man. I also think my karate is shit, which is my I moved on. ;) Still better than Aikido.

"having my first child accelerated the fuck out of the aging process" - I second that. That's why my first is also my last. I don't think I could survive another round of that.

"But I am super happy as a family man, so I have that to compensate"
- would you mind sharing where that happiness is coming from? I mean, I have these heart-melting moments sometimes but it's just fucking hard work and stress most of the time.

Mmmm sure I can tell you where I think it comes from:
- my daughter is the best thing in the history of the world to me. I adore her and spend most of my free time with her. Not sure I would have the same perspective of family life if I didn't find my daughter so totally adorable and smart.
- I settled late (became a father at 37) and the time was right. So the feeling of missing out or simply not being able to do young man shit is not acute at all.
- personal philosophy I guess: I made the choice of having a family and for me this means 100% commitment. So when things suck I just accept it as the way it is. I guess it's called fatalism. I do not crave things I don't have. I accept my situation when it sucks. I also accept that family life by definition carves a routine and rythm in your life. I embrace the monotony. I do not GAF about "bettering myself" or whatever. No greed. I am blessed with health, a beautiful family, enough income that I don't even know how to spend it, and I live in a gorgeous region in Bavaria. I spend time with my family, do my sport, read my books, watch combat shit all the time. What more can I want? At the same time my life would bore the living fuck out of other people. But this is where the greed part kicks in. We are conditioned in the West to always want more. I shit on all that. Life is beautiful when what you have is the best by default. So yeah, my cheap philosophy but it works for me.

Yeah, wait another 5-6 years, it's a steep drop....lol

Everything takes a week to recover from nowadays...

I fully support this. The drop off is real.
My eyesight is going to shit in the span of 1.5 years. Some injuries are not healing
at all. I can still run halfway fast but I need a really good reason before I will consider it.

The escalator doesnt work where i switch and its a ridiculously long staircase up. Im too old for this shit,and so are my knees. This staircase can suck my fuckin dick

fill-634x476
If you can invent a staircase like that you will be rich.

I fully support this. The drop off is real.
My eyesight is going to shit in the span of 1.5 years. Some injuries are not healing
at all. I can still run halfway fast but I need a really good reason before I will consider it.
Yup, never wore glasses and now I do. Used to win archery tournaments, can't adjust to shooting with glasses very well yet. Also, draw shoulder with bow gets sore as hell while shooting and didn't when I was younger.

Don't have kids, it's a trap.

The world is overpopulated and heading towards doomsday anyway, why put the poor soul in our shithole?

I thought birth rates in many countries are starting to decline. Also , people faced nuclear annihilation during the cold war yet still chose to have kids. Many baby boomers were conceived in the years immediately following ww2

Last edited:
I thought birth rates in many countries are starting to decline. Also , people faced nuclear annihilation during the cold war yet still chose to have kids. Many baby boomers were conceived in the years immediately following ww2

And If I'm not mistaken, also a baby boom during the pandemic. People breed like rabbits during stressful times. Poorer demographics vastly outbreed wealthier ones, and poorer nations have a lot more kids than rich ones.

Perhaps it's a subconscious instinct that says "we're in a critical time, I should have kids to ensure my lineage survives if I don't." in any case human reproduction doesn't always follow the logic one would expect.

Yes, birth rates in many (1st world) countries are starting to decline but overall we are overpopulating the planet at immense speed:

world-population-by-world-regions-post-1820_v12_850x600.svg

Mmmm sure I can tell you where I think it comes from:
- my daughter is the best thing in the history of the world to me. I adore her and spend most of my free time with her. Not sure I would have the same perspective of family life if I didn't find my daughter so totally adorable and smart.
- I settled late (became a father at 37) and the time was right. So the feeling of missing out or simply not being able to do young man shit is not acute at all.
- personal philosophy I guess: I made the choice of having a family and for me this means 100% commitment. So when things suck I just accept it as the way it is. I guess it's called fatalism. I do not crave things I don't have. I accept my situation when it sucks. I also accept that family life by definition carves a routine and rythm in your life. I embrace the monotony. I do not GAF about "bettering myself" or whatever. No greed. I am blessed with health, a beautiful family, enough income that I don't even know how to spend it, and I live in a gorgeous region in Bavaria. I spend time with my family, do my sport, read my books, watch combat shit all the time. What more can I want? At the same time my life would bore the living fuck out of other people. But this is where the greed part kicks in. We are conditioned in the West to always want more. I shit on all that. Life is beautiful when what you have is the best by default. So yeah, my cheap philosophy but it works for me.
It's a good philosophy and actually very in line with the secular Buddhist philosophy that I try to follow. I am not very successful unfortunately...

I've been to Bavaria BTW and have a friend living there. Beautiful region, great beer too. Are you German? (if you don't mind me asking)

*sits up in bed*

Insomniac-1024x690.jpg

30s are a weird age man...

You're like, no longer a young adult, but not an old adult either.

You're too old for the "woo hoo, partay!!!" lifestyle, the keeping up with pop music, pop culture, and lingo that the 20s afforded. Trying to be cool and fit in or trying to hit on the young girls will be weird.

You're too young for the B̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶C̶o̶s̶b̶y̶ Dr. Huxtable, Danny Tanner lifestyle. To be wearing dad jeans, a sweater, and a fanny pack. If you're "adulting" (work, mortgage, kids, etc.) sometimes you may feel like you're "playing house".

You're this strange creature that is a hybrid of the 2. The only other time as weird as this is teenage (like 16)... where you feel a bit like a kid and an adult but not really like either one.

Alright, good night!

tenor.gif
why in the hell would you have to be THIS thing in your 20s or THAT thing in your 40s...really, I dont understand your premise.... if you want to go out party and like pop music you can do that in your 30s, 40s 50s and whatever fuck age you want to like whatever you want to like! and I dont understand why would you assign likes to a certain age...like really I scratch my head at your premise.... if you want to be mature you can be mature in your teens and 20s too

It's a good philosophy and actually very in line with the secular Buddhist philosophy that I try to follow. I am not very successful unfortunately...

I've been to Bavaria BTW and have a friend living there. Beautiful region, great beer too. Are you German? (if you don't mind me asking)

If this philosophy does not work for you then maybe it is not meant to be? I adopted this philosophy organically for myself in a natural process. I didn't even know there was a word for it, although I would link it to a blend of stoicism/fatalism. But yeah, find another philosophy if it doesn't work for you?

No I am not German I am from Québec originally.

If this philosophy does not work for you then maybe it is not meant to be? I adopted this philosophy organically for myself in a natural process. I didn't even know there was a word for it, although I would link it to a blend of stoicism/fatalism. But yeah, find another philosophy if it doesn't work for you?
I've been attracted to it since like 2008... but liking is one thing, doing is another. I'm on the path I guess.

Stoicism is not unlike secular Buddhism, the only difference is that the former has a Western "flavor" to it and the latter has an Eastern "flavor". Great minds think alike and philosophers from different cultures and regions often come to similar conclusions.

No I am not German I am from Québec originally.
Silly me, the username and flag is pretty obvious. :p

EDIT: did you just get yellowed?

I've been attracted to it since like 2008... but liking is one thing, doing is another. I'm on the path I guess.

Stoicism is not unlike secular Buddhism, the only difference is that the former has a Western "flavor" to it and the latter has an Eastern "flavor". Great minds think alike and philosophers from different cultures and regions often come to similar conclusions.

Silly me, the username and flag is pretty obvious. :p

EDIT: did you just get yellowed?

Interestingly, the depiction of some oriental / muslim characters in western texts / novels was a major inspiration that led me randomly to this path. It's not like I read some philosophy book and decided to adopt a system or something.
The rest is me forming an opinion on many topics as I become a grown man.

Yes I made a vulgar comment about some MMA fighter s wife and this was apparently was not appreciated.

I'm 28 and for the past 6 months i've started to worry about reaching 30. I don't feel like i've accomplished nearly as much as I would have liked in my 20s.

Only a year and a half to go.
Think of what you have that a lot of other people don't. Even extremely successful people get that feeling that they haven't accomplished what they had hoped. It's normal.

Back