Last 5 PPVs: Fatboy Division *VS* WMMA and FW> Divisions

CoffeeAndBeer

OG from 1993
@Silver
Reaction score
Heavyweight main-evented PPVs are few and far between these days. You have to go back to 2012 to come up with the last 5.

Avg PPV buys over the last 5:
358,000 = Fatboys
524,000 = WMMA + FW>

Why is this?
And is it a trend?

In Boxing, obviously the most fan-interest and the biggest stars are in the lighter divisions. Mayweather, Pacquiao are monsters. Who even knows when the last HW boxing match even happened or who it involved? Who even knows what's the next big HW bout coming up?

Are we bored of the HW/Fatboys?

why do you have to call them fatboys?

are you trying to get a negative response ?

Fatboy division is my favorite.

That gets said a lot around here, but honestly that isn't the norm anymore, as proven by the numbers.

But really the truth is HW has no stars that the general public cares about and the public does care about Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey.

That gets said a lot around here, but honestly that isn't the norm anymore, as proven by the numbers.

But really the truth is HW has no stars that the general public cares about and the public does care about Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey.

Wait, what gets said a lot around here?

The trend thing?
It's not quite as bad as in Boxing, but the HWs are fading.

Heavyweight main-evented PPVs are few and far between these days. You have to go back to 2012 to come up with the last 5.

Avg PPV buys over the last 5:
358,000 = Fatboys
524,000 = WMMA + FW>

Why is this?
And is it a trend?

In Boxing, obviously the most fan-interest and the biggest stars are in the lighter divisions. Mayweather, Pacquiao are monsters. Who even knows when the last HW boxing match even happened or who it involved? Who even knows what's the next big HW bout coming up?

Are we bored of the HW/Fatboys?

Does being a twat make MMA more enjoyable for you?

Kimbo is the biggest HW draw in all of MMA. That should tell you all you need to know about what the average person wants to see.

Why is this?
And is it a trend?

Not a trend, a cycle. MMA is star-driven, and HW is short of stars right now. If Brock Lesnar announced his comeback tomorrow, he would instantly be the biggest PPV draw in the sport again. Just give it a year or three, there will be some new HW sensation out there, and the "fatboy" division will be right back as the glamour division.

Honestly, it will probably happen when Jon Jones inevitably moves up to heavyweight.

Klitschko/Fury is definitely a big fight that will draw numbers throughout Europe that the UFC could only ever dream of.

I like how almost everyone on Sherdog calls the lighter weightclasses manlet divisions, but if you call heavyweights fatboys, they get offended. Oh, the irony.

It's not the division that matters, it's the individual stars. People don't care or not care about a fighter because he or she is big or small, people care because certain fighters have that ability to capture others' attention, regardless of weight class.

Lmao at the butthurt fatties in here

Numbers are great this year and thats important. If MM can pull a solid ppv next week than they got their shit together

lmao, I love C&B's unofficial nickname for the HW division. It's as accurate as it is sad.

I tell the casuals not to put too much stock in HW fights, either someone goes down early from wild haymakers or they both gas and struggle to make it to the end of a labored decision. Last time it was 190 and they got both on the same card. It was a stark contrast to Gadelha who laid a great all around beating on Aguilar.

When is that happening? And is it even a competitive matchup?

October 24th. It's happening in a stadium in Dusseldorf and most of the 55K tickets have been sold (as of last week, it might be sold out now for all I know). As for it being competitive, I don't give Fury a huge chance, but he is very big, he has some boxing ability, and probably most importantly, he's willing to work on the inside (Fury isn't Riddick Bowe on the inside, but he'll fight dirty and at least put some work and with his size, Wlad will have a harder time holding and fouling as he usually does). Fury is around 3 to 1 on most books which is the shortest price on a Wlad challenger in awhile (probably since Haye, at least).

October 24th. It's happening in a stadium in Dusseldorf and most of the 55K tickets have been sold (as of last week, it might be sold out now for all I know). As for it being competitive, I don't give Fury a huge chance, but he is very big, he has some boxing ability, and probably most importantly, he's willing to work on the inside (Fury isn't Riddick Bowe on the inside, but he'll fight dirty and at least put some work and with his size, Wlad will have a harder time holding and fouling as he usually does). Fury is around 3 to 1 on most books which is the shortest price on a Wlad challenger in awhile (probably since Haye, at least).

I think it was on MMA Junkie Radio a few days ago that they had some Boxing people on the show... they touched on Tyson Fury a bit, saying Frank Mir would hold his own against Tyson in a Boxing match.

Back