Last 5 PPVs: Fatboy Division *VS* WMMA and FW> Divisions

Cause the two biggest stars in mma are in womens div nad FW div.

I think it was on MMA Junkie Radio a few days ago that they had some Boxing people on the show... they touched on Tyson Fury a bit, saying Frank Mir would hold his own against Tyson in a Boxing match.

So you were listening to a podcast with complete idiots, I see.

Not a trend, a cycle. MMA is star-driven, and HW is short of stars right now. If Brock Lesnar announced his comeback tomorrow, he would instantly be the biggest PPV draw in the sport again. Just give it a year or three, there will be some new HW sensation out there, and the "fatboy" division will be right back as the glamour division.

Honestly, it will probably happen when Jon Jones inevitably moves up to heavyweight.

Well, how long will this part of the cycle last then? Look at how long Boxing has been in that part of the "cycle."

And FWIW...

900,000 = last Ronda fight
825,000 = last Conor fight
750,000 = last Brock fight

I think it was on MMA Junkie Radio a few days ago that they had some Boxing people on the show... they touched on Tyson Fury a bit, saying Frank Mir would hold his own against Tyson in a Boxing match.

I am almost entirely ignorant when it comes to boxing. I have doubts about this thesis.

HW fights in boxing are bigger in Germany than the states. The promoters of most of the best fighters (other than Wilder, who seriously only fights C level fighters, other than the one guy he fought to get a title), are fighting in Germany, and so you never hear about those fights because they aren't PPV in the US. Many HW fights still earn nice paychecks (granted not Mayweather level). Still HW boxing fighters get money, and if a US fighter like Mike Tyson came up and fought the best in the world he would still make some serious bank.

Wouldn't mind at all if they cut the HWs out altogether.

Boring as hell. Don't care at all to watch fighters like Rosholt and Johnson.

I like how almost everyone on Sherdog calls the lighter weightclasses manlet divisions, but if you call heavyweights fatboys, they get offended. Oh, the irony.

Don't forget the "Chicks" fights too. How fans are 'forced' to watch em.

Back