larry holmes is amazing

amhlilhaus

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
been watching a lot of old holmes fights, and growing up I always remembered him as a boring ali wannabe, but after further review, I find him a lot more interesting to watch than ali. does anyone else think the same?

I always cheered against him back then, but I tended to think of Holmes as generally putting on some highly entertaining fights, and still do when I go back and watch him.

Well, Holmes probably was a "Ali wannabe", but it would have been hard not to be in that time. However, Holmes did a lot of things Ali never could and I for one, always found his fights to be far more entertaining.

He carried it a long way too, even past his best he was able to force a prime Holyfield the distance. Very underrated, not helped by the bad press involved in the Cooney "fight".

Nor his big mouth before the Spinks fight.

Or lunching over a car to smack Berbick!! He came off as quite the jackass sometimes.

It was a jibe at how much of a hyped up event it was. A total mismatch in hindsight, at the time though wasnt Cooney being touted as a major challenger?

Then again what the heck do I know, Im only going on old accounts of it, I dont think I was even born at the time.

It was a jibe at how much of a hyped up event it was. A total mismatch in hindsight, at the time though wasnt Cooney being touted as a major challenger?

I dunno man. Holmes v Cooney was a great fight. Cooney certainly had his moments.

I thought he had one good round and one humongous shot to Holmes' balls!! The rest of the time to me it looked like a very good boxer working over a toughman fighter.

Yes, Cooney was being touted as a major challenger at the time, and off the top, I think Holmes was only about an 8 to 5 favourite (or thereabouts) going in, in addition to a bunch of the "experts" picking Cooney to win in the boxing mags and whatnot.

Still, I thought it ended up being quite competive, with Holmes starting well and then obviously drowning Cooney late in the fight. But from about the 3rd to the 10th, I thought Cooney was quite competitive in the fight, and also won his share of rounds through that portion of it.

It was close coming in around the 9th or 10th.. Then Cooney faded and Holmes dropped the gauntlet on his arse.

sidenote: Cooney went on Friday Night Fights and Atlas reviewed his fight with Holmes. Teddy Atlas though Conney was winning before the stoppage? Now, I haven't seen the fight in ages. Do you guys agree with his assessment? I don't.

Yes, Cooney was being touted as a major challenger at the time, and off the top, I think Holmes was only about an 8 to 5 favourite (or thereabouts) going in, in addition to a bunch of the "experts" picking Cooney to win in the boxing mags and whatnot.

Still, I thought it ended up being quite competive, with Holmes starting well and then obviously drowning Cooney late in the fight. But from about the 3rd to the 10th, I thought Cooney was quite competitive in the fight, and also won his share of rounds through that portion of it.

Yeah...there was alot of hype leading up to the bout....probably the most talked about heavyweight fight since Ali-Frazier 1.......Cooney's left hook was being touted as the best in the game and he was coming off of a series of smashing knockouts (Ken Norton, Jimmy Young etc.).....The big question mark on Cooney was how would he fair in the later rounds of a tough fight........Holmes helped to answer that question. In retrospect.....Cooney wasn't ready for that fight. He was rushed along into a 15 rounder with the best heavyweight in the world at the time (yes, he was competitive)......and he never really recovered from it. I think he lost his will to fight after that and only fought a few times after that for the cash.

It was close coming in around the 9th or 10th.. Then Cooney faded and Holmes dropped the gauntlet on his arse.

sidenote: Cooney went on Friday Night Fights and Atlas reviewed his fight with Holmes. Teddy Atlas though Conney was winning before the stoppage? Now, I haven't seen the fight in ages. Do you guys agree with his assessment? I don't.

No.....It was competitive and a pretty good fight to watch ( I watched it live from a closed circuit Jai Lai theatre in Florida)....but Larry was in command. Larry seemed to have a healthy fear of Cooney's hook and as such it seemed as though he was overly conservative with his combos....Cooney was loading up and waiting on the big shot. He never really created the opening he would need to hurt Holmes.....Larry took him into the late rounds and Cooney's legs just melted on him....Cooney won a few rounds but it was Larry's fight. Others may see it differently.

Cooney went on Friday Night Fights and Atlas reviewed his fight with Holmes. Teddy Atlas though Conney was winning before the stoppage? Now, I haven't seen the fight in ages. Do you guys agree with his assessment? I don't.

Cooney wasn't winning the fight, not with the earlier knockdown and then, what was it, three points deducted for low blows?

That's four points in the hole right there, but if Cooney doesn't land the low blows and gets points deducted, then it could be pretty close on the scoring.

No.....It was competitive and a pretty good fight to watch ( I watched it live from a closed circuit Jai Lai theatre in Florida)....but Larry was in command. Larry seemed to have a healthy fear of Cooney's hook and as such it seemed as though he was overly conservative with his combos....Cooney was loading up and waiting on the big shot. He never really created the opening he would need to hurt Holmes.....Larry took him into the late rounds and Cooney's legs just melted on him....Cooney won a few rounds but it was Larry's fight. Others may see it differently.

Good to see you back around here.

Sharkey, this man is a quality poster when it comes to old school Boxing.

With regards to Holmes, his recent Interview in Ring Magazine reminded me why I loved him. He was a real guy, that interview has more "exploitive deleted" than actual answers to questions.

Sharkey, this man is a quality poster when it comes to old school Boxing.

I was starting to think so to, King. I mean, I'll admit to only seeing a few of his posts in other threads, but it looked like they were all very solid to me, as are the ones he posted in this thread.

Greetings, Hasbin.

I was starting to think so to, King. I mean, I'll admit to only seeing a few of his posts in other threads, but it looked like they were all very solid to me, as are the ones he posted in this thread.

Greetings, Hasbin.

Good to be back......I work alot so I don't get up here as often as I'd like. The boxing forum is still the best forum up on Sherdog....Not too crowded (not yet anyways) and lots of guys who really know their shit (Kid, Bradlee, Kabuki, Sushi and yourself and a host of others)....Hopefully it will stay that way for awhile.

Back