Kywan Gracie on McGregor's Jiu-Jitsu: "His ground game is too weak, man"

I'm sure you know so much more than they do. :rolleyes:

I give no hespect for knowing more than me, im not a grappler. They have a family of like 700 people working on one thing and even in that one thing, they are not the best. Not a single Gracie at any weight won a jiujitsu world championship in 2015, or 2014, or 2013, or 2012 or 2011...

I suppose most of those complaining about McGregor's ground game are big fans of his who expected a flawless performance.
lol, but of course :icon_chee

Lucky for Conor that Chad can't even pass guard! haha

Not a single Gracie at any weight won a jiujitsu world championship in 2015, or 2014, or 2013, or 2012 or 2011...
Kron Gracie is either at the top or close to it in his weight class (and several others to be honest). He's just switched to MMA now.

But yeah, 1st place in 2013 ADCCs is not something to be sniffed at. He also placed 2nd in the worlds in 2011, which I believe is only just after he got his black belt.

Kron's BJJ is unquestionably shit hot.

Why not even attempt a sweep? Just locked guard praying for dear life?

Every time Mendes attempted to pass guard Conor scrambles to his feet. In the second round Mendes remains very close in guard proving zero space. Doesn't matter if you're Jacare or Werdum - When someone is sitting that tight in your guard throwing one off strikes you are going to struggle to sweep them.

Of course you could attempt to throw some subs off your back or kick off with your feet but it comes with a significant risk:

A) When your opponent is content to remain where they are it can sap a lot of energy for nothing and

B) He could potentially get mounted.

With Conor's feel for the fight obviously 100% he wanted the stand-up but if you weigh up the options - With three rounds to go versus a quickly gassing fighter - The patient approach seemed to be the best one to me.

Also... Kyra and Roger ? Just because they aren't totally active in competition doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

Roger taps world champions back to back and hasn't been tapped in competition since he was a blue belt.

Respect where it's due...

When someone is sitting that tight in your guard throwing one off strikes you are going to struggle to sweep them.
Absolutely right. It's effectively stalling.

Actually, we really don't know how good Connor's ground game is. There are still questions. He could have been intentionally letting Mendes work for a few rounds with hopes he will tire. If the knee injuries are true, that may have played a factor. Or......his bottom game may not be great and he couldn't get Mendes off of him even if he tried. I'm torn right now. He seemed to indicate after the fight that he felt really safe, and was comfortable their while just throwing elbows from the bottom. He could be talking out of his ass, but regardless, he fought the fight intelligently and took very little damage.....

You make good points and I don't disagree entirely. I just think he wanted to be anywhere but where he was but was playing the waiting game instead of actively trying to get out. It was obviously effective but I would've loved to see him with a more active bottom game. He's great and he killed it in the fight, I just think there are still some serious questions about his bottom game for me. He'll likely need to do more than hang on and pray when he faces a guy like edgar or even if Aldo gets on him.

Every time Mendes attempted to pass guard Conor scrambles to his feet. In the second round Mendes remains very close in guard proving zero space. Doesn't matter if you're Jacare or Werdum - When someone is sitting that tight in your guard throwing one off strikes you are going to struggle to sweep them.

Of course you could attempt to throw some subs off your back or kick off with your feet but it comes with a significant risk:

A) When your opponent is content to remain where they are it can sap a lot of energy for nothing and

B) He could potentially get mounted.

With Conor's feel for the fight obviously 100% he wanted the stand-up but if you weigh up the options - With three rounds to go versus a quickly gassing fighter - The patient approach seemed to be the best one to me.

I know it is extremely difficult to make space with a guy like that on you. I thought I saw some opportunities to try some things but I know how that goes. He did a great job. I just still have some questions.

I know it is extremely difficult to make space with a guy like that on you. I thought I saw some opportunities to try some things but I know how that goes. He did a great job. I just still have some questions.

Yeah but the thing is you don't know shit. Now go cry about how you picked the wrong guy to win and critique an incredible performance by an amazing fighter against the worst style matchup for him; and he allegedly fought injured.

Yeah but the thing is you don't know shit. Now go cry about how you picked the wrong guy to win and critique an incredible performance by an amazing fighter against the worst style matchup for him; and he allegedly fought injured.

He was pretty diplomatic. Relax...

You make good points and I don't disagree entirely. I just think he wanted to be anywhere but where he was but was playing the waiting game instead of actively trying to get out. It was obviously effective but I would've loved to see him with a more active bottom game. He's great and he killed it in the fight, I just think there are still some serious questions about his bottom game for me. He'll likely need to do more than hang on and pray when he faces a guy like edgar or even if Aldo gets on him.

I agree with all that, and actually think Edgar is more dangerous to him than Aldo. He is in Aldo's head so bad right now that Aldo does not seem to have ANY desire to take it to the ground where he would have a clear advantage. Edgar would fight a very smart fight and really try to keep Connor off balance......

Try to get some Conor's light to shine on him. Sad...

Why not even attempt a sweep? Just locked guard praying for dear life?

Well, shit, who the fuck sweeps Mendes? That guy's top control is insanely good. Did you see how Mendes stayed so tight in his guard, chest to chest, never really posturing up? Do you have any idea how hard it is to sweep someone when they're doing that, at this level of MMA? It's extremely hard. Conor still got up, unlike most of Mendes' opponents.

Back