Kyokushin High Kick

Pettas vs. Andy Hug is a good example, left a bad bad cut on Andy (although Andy won). I'm no expert but I heard the kick is hard to land, and only works a handfull of times. Timing was what seems to make it effective.

Looking at the mini vidoes the to kick looks like a modified side to round house kick......the second little click looks more like a front to round house kick

The second kick is called a Question mark kick in my dojo......The leg goes up the same way as a front kick tricking your opponent to drop his gaurd to block a front kick then u swivel your hips very fast and turn it into a high round house. It called a question mark b/c the kicking leg is thrown in a ? shape up and around and over. Also its a question mark kick b/c its misleading.

Its an effective kick against an inexperience opponent but its also not as powerful as a straight out high round house as u dont get the full wind up or whip like effect from the back leg.

meng_mao said:
I've heard elsewhere in the standup forum that it is killer on the knee, but I've tried in out on the bag and it doesn't seem so dangerous that you can't practice or maybe try it in your sparring.

i'm not suprised, if i'm imagining the kick properly it puts a lot of force on where your knees supposed to bend so yeah

The kick in vid is the way tma are taught how to first throw a roundhouse before you put the full spin of the hips into the kick like mt figters.Do any tmartist agree with this"bring knee up into flamingo position as you extend your foot out you role your foot over and pivot your back foot so that it pionts opposite where you are kicking and you are landing kick with shin or top of foot depending on distance.

this is taught almost immedaitly in kempo as a way to get you ready for the more powerfull mt style roundhouse.This is also the type of roundhouse that is used in piont sparring because it is fast sneeky and not as powerfull as so called mt roundhouse.

This tread proves how there are not many people on sherdog who study the tma but talk alot of smack about them and then they see a kick like this and think that it is some mystery kick, but is taught in the first month of class.

I also assume this fighter in the vid has an instinctive tma background because when he drops him he does the kia motion with his hands which was sweet.The perfect set up too with the front kick and then the sneeky roundhouse that looks like a front kick and rolls over to the side of your head, sweet .
San shou champ cung lee thruws those kicks alot
respect the tmartist

There are a couple of ways I know to increase flexibility for this kick, namely the hip socket and rotator, but they are kind of awkward. The position is strange, and even worse, most people are unfamiliar with the way the stretch feels, or how to relax the muscles to accomodate the stretch. The part of the socket in question is just to the inside edge of the femur, the thighbone.

To find the socket, sit in a chair, and track your thighbone up into your pelvis until you find the big crease caused by your flexed hip. When you hit that crease, push in a bit, and then trace your way inward and feel around. You'll find a mess of tendons. That's the area you're looking for.

Relaxing the hip socket is of utmost importance for these stretches.

One, you can lie down on the side opposite that of the hip you want to stretch. Bend the knee furthest from the floor 45

Calm down guy, no one is attacking TMA here, (at least on this thread). Save that for another thread. A lot of guys here did TMA before doing MT and such, I did. I've actually seen this kick before, but it wasn't the same. In Kung Fu I was taught to chamber high and snap the kick out but NEVER down at an angle. Never seen it quite like that before. Anyways, for all I know, they have a kick like this in Muay Thai, I might have not seen it yet. The lowkick is basically the same thing actually. The pivot of the hips and driving through the target. I believe another poster pointed that out.

The kick in the small clips is the first way I learned how to side kick when I was practicing kick-boxing in greece. Kick-boxing there consists of almost every kind of karate-kung fu kicks (including axe kicks, spinning back and spinning heel kicks), boxing punches and something like mui-thai stance. There is even a belt system by the national kick-boxing federation (with a total of 10 belts - but no katas, dont get crazy - in the last 3 belts sparring is an essential part of the exams).
This kick looks much like "tolio-tchaki". The first part of the motion is raising your knee up a little higher than waist-height while bending it 90 degrees. Normally your leg (from the waist to the knee) comes up and "away" from your body (for ex if its a left kick then the knee is weist-height, 90 degrees bent but ponting 45 degrees to your left). It is def the hardest side kick because you can apply a much greater amount of your weight through your hips and can aim at both the head or ribs. You can also fake a front kick by sticking your knee straight ahead (instead of 45 degrees to your side) but that takes from its power. Faking a front kick is very effective when fighting a shorter opponent. The guy in the clips oughtta have a great hip movement because its not easy to land a very hard kick with your front leg (without taking a step with the other leg to change stance), but i guess that if its not blocked even a medium power high kick of that kind can ktfo o you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back