Kyokushin High Kick

SideofKO

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay guys, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. The search function can only take me so far until my laziness kicks in. I just want to know how that high kick is performed in Kyokushin Karate where the leg goes up and over the hands then whips down on teh opponents head. It looks impossible to do but I see it used effectively. I looked on the resource page but found nothing of value as to what I'm looking for.

Yea, it is often also called a "Brazillian Kick" (at least that is what Ray Sefo called it on the Battle at the Bellagio broadcast).

I also would love to hear any thoughts on its effectiveness, or how to do/train it.

Thanks.

I've heard elsewhere in the standup forum that it is killer on the knee, but I've tried in out on the bag and it doesn't seem so dangerous that you can't practice or maybe try it in your sparring.

As for effectiveness, if you saw Battle at the Bellagio, don't you think Glaube Feitosa did pretty well with it?

Learn to chamber, and chamber very high.that way you are bringing your leg down at a very powerful kick

It sounds like you are describing an axe kick. You kick as high as you can, drop your heel with a straight leg, like an axe chopping wood. Does this sound like it?

Not an axe kick. It's a round house that is chambered really high and goes up and then down at an angle.

I think the original poster was thinking of these:

kickwilliams8sx.gif

znxk1wgp2005vegascd3comp5km.gif

Heard it's tough on the knees but very effective in the ring because opponents don't see it coming, or they expect a normal roundhouse and get surprised/hit.

You just need to have very, very flexible hips. I use this kick a lot and it surprises the shit out of people.

Great kick and indeed ppl don't really see it coming, it's a typical Kyokushinkai kick or Brazilian kick wathever.

They think it's front or a side kick but flips over in a highkick, most ppl are amazed bc of the transition when doing it.

Tkd fighters use it also but it's too dangerous bc you leave a open spot so your opponent can counter fast !

This technique is great for Kyokushin or Kickboxing imo !!!

The only thing that suprise me that's how Feitosa can KO fighters with it that close unbelievable, he must have very flexible and powerfull hip movement !!!

you can throw the low kick the same way, the reason for this angle is to
make sure the shin hits directly with the hardest most protruding part.

the weakness is that you expose your shin's weak side to a counter kick or knee.......
and I think we ALL saw that clip where the kickboxer gets his shin snapped......................

Nicolas Pettas is his name. And he was throwing a low kick, not a brazilian kick.

it comes down to increasing the range of motion in your hip and learning the mobility for it.

deadlyshaolin said:
The guy was referring to the bloke that snapped his shin.

Oh, sorry. I know the one you're talking about. Nasty.

Yeah, good work guys. That's the kick I was looking for. I've found that it's easier if you step out with your lead leg and chamber your knee really high and then torque as hard as you can while bringing the shin down like a whip. I haven't used it in training though. I'm still waiting to be comfortable with it.

I gotta' try this kick. I know I can get my kicks up that high, but I don't know if I can get that odd rotation and whipping action.

it's the typical trick jodan mawashigeri in kyksn

its all about the hips

it should come easy with stretching and solid kihon + ido

Lovely kick in the anigifs above. Very unexpected.

Can you give us a bit more on what kind of stretching you need to do for a kick like that?

Back