Media Kyoji Horiguchi and Kai Asakura May Be Joining UFC According to Rizin President

Black9

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
According to JPMMA reporter, the Rizin President wants to meet with Dana White to send Kyoji and Kai Asakura to join the UFC.

You guys into it? Would be some nice injection into the lower weight classes especially FlyWeight

As long as Suzuki sticks with RIZIN, cool. Guchi with a clear path to UFC belt, at this stage, excited to see how that transpires. Presume there will be a showdown with Kape, at some point, if Kape stays at FLW. Idk that Asakura will succeed, but good on him for maybe getting an opportunity.

This will definitely help JTT in their endeavors to draw in international fighters to train with them, which will, ultimately, benefit RIZIN. Sak still playing long ball here.

Dana won’t allow it. Ever since his boy Chuck got KO’d in pride by Rampage he’s been terrified to do cross promotion.
He's not trying to cross-promote, he's facilitating the UFC signing his guys. Make no mistake, Dana respects Sakakibara on a business level, and as a talent scout. Sak is just trying to make them money, make sure they get decent pay as champs coming from his org. We will see how that goes.

My reaction is tempered by the number of times I can think of where a heralded Japanese fighter came over to the UFC and lived up to expectations (~0) but i wikk try to remain positive lol

My reaction is tempered by the number of times I can think of where a heralded Japanese fighter came over to the UFC and lived up to expectations (~0) but i wikk try to remain positive lol
Horiguchi was already in the UFC at one point though. He went 7-1, with the 1 being DJ.

both of these guys JUST won titles in Rizin. I guess i can respect Sakikabara for trying to do right by his fighters, but the Rizin title lineage is awful. why should anyone care about Rizin champs?

Last edited:
Horiguchi has champ potential. UFC 125 is currently the shits.

I don't know much about Asakura. I've heard that him and his brother are basically the Japanese version of the Paul brothers and pretty much the only JMMA stars, so I'm surprised Rizin would want to give him up.

Is this a one off, or an actual signed contract? UFC won't do a one off, they are not interested in giving any other org any sort of leverage, those days are long gone, over. If they sign for real, then it will be a contract, multiple fights, etc. Horiguchi obviously has champ potential, and I would argue same with Kai Asakura. People are sleeping on Rizin and the Asakura bros 100%. They are the japanese Diazs. Tough, great striking, and deliver.

Dana won't allow any short term trades though, or any representatives for Rizin 100%.

I think they should just stay where they are at in Rizin tbh.

If he wants to support those fighters in the UFC, release them.

Takeya Mizugaki at least got into the bantamweight top 5 and fought for the WEC belt. Him and Okami achieved the highest levels for JMMA in the promotion. Tatsuro Taira is a very strong prospect who’s in the rankings now.

This could be Kai's time for peaking and fan-base carry over. Surely Kyoji would have a year or two max. Both of them end up at Team Alpha Manlet and stay mid.

Back