Opinion Kyle Korver - Privileged

I have because of my economic class.

I have. You don't think police notice the long haired stoner looking dude in his duct taped together 1978 Ford wagon?

Do you know me at all?

Couldn't say.

Sure I have. What pampered world do you live in where none of these things have happened to you?
[/QUOTE]

I was just offering an explanation as to why they may think this.

I don't necessarily believe it

Well, I guess I'm to blame then.
No, it’s your parents fault that your skin color is like this. Had they had the decency to expose there gene pool a little you could be brown, or hell even DARK BROWN, and then know what it’s really like to suffer.

/sarcasm

I thought it was an ok inner view into what this man considers his privileges, but ultimately bs

His initial reaction being wtf was my teammate doing out at a club on a back to back was a normal and straightforward thought not a “cringe” moment. It’s a legit question, and having played team sports pretty much all my life that would be my first question whether the teammate was black, brown, white or neon green. Sure you can run into the one racist white cop from 1950, but still my teammate would have to answer for his negligence

Half of what he wrote is just word salad to me, most of it was a “what does this person even mean” territory

Honestly it’s articles and mindsets like this that separate people more than bring them together

I'll ask the same thing I ask every time.

Post some examples of how my skin tone has helped me get ahead.
I see, so my privilege is that I don't commit crimes.

We're learning.
I believe black people on average get longer prison terms for similar crimes. It's also been proven "black sounding names" get less job interview calls. There's also getting pulled over more/harrassed, etc.

I read a comment on reddit regarding this piece of a guy who had a black friend at college in wisconsin, his black friend had to go back to get his backpack that he didn't need and his friend asked why, and it was because if he didn't have his backpack he would likely get stopped/questioned by police as to why he was on campus.

You don’t live in a government set up by white people where a European language is spoken and “white” cultural norms of society and beauty are upheld? If not, then maybe a country which was once a European colony? Exposed to white media and culture?

It’s your world and you’re asking when your benefits kick in lmao!

See, some of this I just don't agree with. If you were born in America, with English speaking parents, then the fact that we speak a European language is not longer a disadvantage to you. The quality of English that your parents speak is a big deal, but that is not directly related to race as much as it is related to class.

I also don't think the fact that that government was set up by people of European descent makes a bit of different. I don't think minorities are any less capable of finding success within this system. I actually think this system provides the best opportunity for them to be successful.

I think that where white privilege shows up can be in the history of your family (if you are black and in your 40s, your parents likely experienced some form of segregation, and your family likely traces back to slavery and Jim Crow, and all of the lasting damage that caused) and of course the incredibly harmful stereotypes that you have to constantly combat. Black people do not combat goofy stereotypes related to their driving ability or their ability to dance, they combat stereotypes about their IQ, their self control, their drive to commit crime, etc. I mean, just read this forum.

See, some of this I just don't agree with. If you were born in America, with English speaking parents, then the fact that we speak a European language is not longer a disadvantage to you. The quality of English that your parents speak is a big deal, but that is not directly related to race as much as it is related to class.

I also don't think the fact that that government was set up by people of European descent makes a bit of different. I don't think minorities are any less capable of finding success within this system. I actually think this system provides the best opportunity for them to be successful.

I think that where white privilege shows up can be in the history of your family (if you are black and in your 40s, your parents likely experienced some form of segregation, and your family likely traces back to slavery and Jim Crow, and all of the lasting damage that caused) and of course the incredibly harmful stereotypes that you have to constantly combat. Black people do not combat goofy stereotypes related to their driving ability or their ability to dance, they combat stereotypes about their IQ, their self control, their drive to commit crime, etc. I mean, just read this forum.
Don't forget the Confederate monuments.

<Ellaria01>

LOL

Korver is not a "can".

You really don't know basketball.

Korver is a can, with LeBron he was a legit 3 point threat. Without he's just another 3 chucker in the NBA.

You really don't know shit about basketball.

White privilege does not mean life is easy for white people. It does not mean they get anything for free. It does not mean that you get to "cash in" your white privilege anytime you want. It doesn't automatically outweigh other disadvantages that you have. It doesn't mean that you are more privileged as a poor white guy than a wealthy black guy. All those goofy things that people say just show a complete lack of understanding, or a contempt for the concept in general because of the whackos who are far off on the other end of the spectrum. I understand that, it is a term that is often thrown around by the most obnoxious people.

Just think of it like this. As a member of the majority, holding the majority of power in all industries, with positive representation at all levels of government and entertainment, and with a complete history of having all of your rights fully in tact, there have been and continue to be fewer hurdles for white people. How extreme is this privilege? Probably not very extreme at this point, but it is obviously the reality of the situation.

It doesn't give anybody an excuse to work less, try less, or to be a failure. All of that is nonsense. But there is some truth to the concept that is undeniable. It's not an insult to white people, it's kind of just an obvious observation. I think the way the term is often throw around has made it into an insult.

Maybe people should quit using such a racially divisive term. Blacks having it worse isn't a new concept, and tossing around "white privilege" as an explanation isn't enlightening anyone.

Korver is a can, with LeBron he was a legit 3 point threat. Without he's just another 3 chucker in the NBA.

You really don't know shit about basketball.
He was actually an all-star in 2015 when the Hawks won 60 games.
Oh and he knocked my Gators out of the tournament back in 02 with a buzzer beater...

Maybe people should quit using such a racially divisive term. Blacks having it worse isn't a new concept, and tossing around "white privilege" as an explanation isn't enlightening anyone.

I completely agree. Plus the term has been hijacked by complete morons on both sides who have turned it into a meaningless smear.

At this point the term is too toxic to really have conversations about.

He was actually an all-star in 2015 when the Hawks won 60 games.
Oh and he knocked my Gators out of the tournament back in 02 with a buzzer beater...

The Cawks winning 60 wasn't because of him, IIRC he averaged like 12 pts a game that season. He's a 3 point chucker, that's it. When LeBron utilized him he could throw down daggers.

wow he knocked out dudes who didn't make the NBA and a couple others that did, same thing as an NBA game.

The Cawks winning 60 wasn't because of him, IIRC he averaged like 12 pts a game that season. He's a 3 point chucker, that's it. When LeBron utilized him he could throw down daggers.

wow he knocked out dudes who didn't make the NBA and a couple others that did, same thing as an NBA game.
That team had Udonis Haslem, he led the Heat to 3 NBA titles.

<OKC16>

The average height in the NBA is 6'7"
There are less White American players in the league than actual teams

It's not about white privilege, it's about Height Privilege

Both Kyle Korvers parents played college hoops, they don't grow these cats on trees.

Ask someone born in America whose culture, language and religion were outlawed, then. Whose government was overthrown, who was colonized, whose people were subject to genocide. Or maybe the people who have been colonized by European powers around the world. White people weren't, they run the world, their political systems dominate the world, and that's privilege. Idk how that can be disputed. It really isn't as narrow as black and white and America, but consider that America isn't even white people's land without cultural and physical genocide, yet white is the default "true American."

That has nothing to do with being capable of finding success, it's about being at home, being the default.

Maybe my definition isn't the popular one, I'm not into the whole identity politics scene, but this is how I interpreted white privilege and I don't see how it can be disputed. Maybe my perspective as a Hawaiian is different.

Back