Kurt Angles Olympic training regime!

Chris Kutz

Amateur Fighter
@Orange
Reaction score
I ordered Kurt Angles book the other day, and he has a pretty decent sized section on the trianing he did leading up to the 1996 Olympics. I thought it looked pretty interesting - it was mostly geared toward conditioning/endurance, but since a lot of it involves weights, I thought I'd post it in here.

He would do a thing he called 'Fatigue training". In the book he writes "I trained to the point where I was fatigued and didn't want to do anymore. Then thats when I'd just be getting started."

A normal day of training would be: a twenty minute warm up on an exercises bike, and some stretching. Then he'd go on a four mile run through the hills of Pittsburgh, sprinting on every hill he hit, usually for 200-200 yards. He'd average around 7 minutes a mile.

When he got done he'd be pretty tired but he says "thats when I was just beginning."

He'd do 15 hill sprints carrying his manager Jim Perri (Sounds very Enamait style), who weighed about 185. He'd vary the way he carried him; sometimes hed have him in a piggy back style, then in front of him, the same way you would carry your wife, and sometimes fireman style. He'd get to a point where he was exhausted he could hardly stand, then do the "hardest drill of all", where he would wrap a bungee cord around himself, and his manager would hold him back, so he was sprinting up against resistance...kinda like Rocky pulling the sled in Rocky IV. He said he'd do about 10 of those, and did it faithfully almost every day. His whole game plan was to be the best conditioned wrestler at the Olympics, so he could wear down the bigger, stronger heavyweights.

Some of the weight lifting he did included:

100 Jump Squats with 80 lbs dumbells.

Squatted 225 lbs 77 times.

Squatted 315 lbs 44 times

Squatted 405 lbs 28 times.

Squatted 135 lbs 136 times.

(All those were on deifferent days)

Those would be the very beginning of his weight lifting workouts. He didn't believe in maintenence lifting. He writes "To me, if youre just maintenence training, you're actually losing strength. I always went in with the idea of lifting heavy, getting an intense workout. And I was able to keep my strength, sometimes even improve during the season. So I'd start with those squats, then move on to heavy lifting".

For plymometrics he did:

"80 lbs dumbells, squat down, and jump up as high as I could, for 50 to 100 times. Then I'd do the same thing on one leg. I'd lunge up on a bench and come back down on it - twenty five each leg. Then I'd grab 30 lbs dumbbells and hop back and forth over a bench."

All this coupled with the fact that he was on the mat wrestling like crazy, including one story where Dan Gable made them wrestle only one wrestling match...however instead of it being 3three minutes followed by two, two minute rounds, it was a 30 minute round followed by two, 20 minute rounds. He said he'd put in an average of 7 hour worth of conditioning, 6 times a week.

I'm pretty bored, so like I do, I thought you'd all like to see how an elite level athlete trains. The book itself isnt too bad, it actually covers more of his amateur wrestling days than his WWE days.

What do you guys think? Good regime? Overtraining?

overtraining probably, but ballsy. much appreciated.

those are some solid squat numbers, wonder what his 1RM would be

definetly overtraining. no disrespect intended, but he's either lying, or he was very very lucky.
There is a very fine line between being the best conditioned athlete, and not being able to compete because you're too burnt out or injured.

kurt angle was on steroids back when he was training for the olympics. Nevertheless, there is no subsitution for hardwork and mental perserverance, none of us are even close to being on his level then.

Sounds great. I'm going to work that into my routine.

I have to agree that it is overtraining.

Considering the man is now little more than a flaccid lump of boneless chicken-type matter that relies on regular injections of racehorse-grade painkillers directly into his spinal column from disreputatable Korean quacks just to roll out of bed, I reckon he overtrained.

Ugh, I despise both ignorance and misconception on account of circulation of third-hand information where people take the opportunity to shit-talk a guy just because he's down.

1) How many of you have ever trained for the Olympics or on an Olympic level? If any of you have you might then be SOMEWHAT qualified to give your opinion on wether or not this is "overtraining." Furthermore, how many of you have even witnessed Olympic training specifically for Wrestling? I doubt many have, and those who did might have seen similar regimes and also said "overtraining." But then, these are/were Olympic athletes, considering they made it there to even compete, and in some cases came away with the Gold, that qualifies it as simply enough training. And very few people here are qualified to specifically say otherwise. Please stop assuming that because it stinks simply of jealousy.

Many, many, Professional Elite athletes have training regimes that look like 8 hour workdays. It's a standard.

2) There's more to Angle's current situation than "overtraining" or "steroids" (which I LOVE when people bring that up because they can never prove it and can't even back up a logical discussion about how that might have detracted from an athlete's health half the time), or addiction to pain-killers.

Psychologically (and he's talked about this on many an occasion), Angle is addicted to performing. That's his number-1 problem. He was too stalward in wanting to perform and never minded minor injuries which eventually compounded into major injuries. Add that to 250+ days per year on the road (where it's hard to recooperate) as a Pro Wrestler...which say what you want about that but they do face real dangers and have real injuries, often times more frighting than other Sports like an impacted vertebrae or a shattered orbital bone, and you have an equation that put a time-limit on his career as it was.

It's that mentality as an overachiever that led him where he is, not taking any time off to heal properly from injuries that ended up taking a domino-effect. Not his training regimen from over a damn decade ago.

You're right KK. Pro-wrasslers are role models. I now feel bad for them and the pain that they are subjected to. Olympic athletes are all clean. All pro athletes are natural. In conclusion, I'm a changed man. There you fucking have it, viola.

Love,

Baurt

King Kabuki said:
Ugh, I despise both ignorance and misconception on account of circulation of third-hand information where people take the opportunity to shit-talk a guy just because he's down.

1) How many of you have ever trained for the Olympics or on an Olympic level? If any of you have you might then be SOMEWHAT qualified to give your opinion on wether or not this is "overtraining." Furthermore, how many of you have even witnessed Olympic training specifically for Wrestling? I doubt many have, and those who did might have seen similar regimes and also said "overtraining." But then, these are/were Olympic athletes, considering they made it there to even compete, and in some cases came away with the Gold, that qualifies it as simply enough training. And very few people here are qualified to specifically say otherwise. Please stop assuming that because it stinks simply of jealousy.

Many, many, Professional Elite athletes have training regimes that look like 8 hour workdays. It's a standard.

2) There's more to Angle's current situation than "overtraining" or "steroids" (which I LOVE when people bring that up because they can never prove it and can't even back up a logical discussion about how that might have detracted from an athlete's health half the time), or addiction to pain-killers.

Psychologically (and he's talked about this on many an occasion), Angle is addicted to performing. That's his number-1 problem. He was too stalward in wanting to perform and never minded minor injuries which eventually compounded into major injuries. Add that to 250+ days per year on the road (where it's hard to recooperate) as a Pro Wrestler...which say what you want about that but they do face real dangers and have real injuries, often times more frighting than other Sports like an impacted vertebrae or a shattered orbital bone, and you have an equation that put a time-limit on his career as it was.

It's that mentality as an overachiever that led him where he is, not taking any time off to heal properly from injuries that ended up taking a domino-effect. Not his training regimen from over a damn decade ago.

how many pro-wrestlers do you know?

Revok said:
Considering the man is now little more than a flaccid lump of boneless chicken-type matter that relies on regular injections of racehorse-grade painkillers directly into his spinal column from disreputatable Korean quacks just to roll out of bed, I reckon he overtrained.

Best. Post. Ever.

Greatness is superior to longevity. Anyone who argues with that is worthless as far as I'm concerened. Angle came up with a personal definition for greatness and put everything he had towards achieving it, there's nothing wrong with that. Did he make mistakes? Certainly. Does he have regrets? I'm sure he does. But he wanted success, fame, physical prowess, etc. on a level that most of you will never see and he got it.

I'm certain if you ask him now, he'd do things a bit differently, but if he hasn't had the life he has, how do you know he wouldn't have regreted NOT doing what he's done? How many assholes go through life wondering what they COULD have accomplished, if only they had tried or worked a little harder or capitalized on an opportunity somewhere along the lines.

Here's a guy who did what it took to become his Platian form of greatness. I can't find fault in that. His life is not a paradigm to base my own on, but I refuse to disrespect him for going after what he wanted with everything he had. To sacrifice your potential just so you can squeeze a couple more years out of your life is silly and selfish to me.

Tuesday they sent in the grizzled veteran firefighter to inadvertently shake up the class. Tell a bunch of horror stories (the guy has been been in more burn wards than i have fingers and toes) and check the fortitude of the cadets. I will be knocking years off my life and damaging my very quality of life as I age in the career I have chosen. But there is no part of me that says it's not worth doing.

Kurt is no role model (I don't believe people should really have role models), but he is definitely an inspiration. I'm certain he inspired tens of thousands of people to better themselves. Can you really speak ill of a man who's accomplished so much more than so many?

It's so funny when weak nobody's bad mouth elite level atheletes and their routines, saying how it's "garbage" and this and that. If these elite atheletes train the way these fucking nobody's do, they wouldn't be ELITE LEVEL ATHELETES. I really don't understand why people don't understand this. Obviously people who are atheletes for a living, will have to train more, harder and differently than some schmuck who is just trying to get in shape.

Good posts KK and urban.

Urban said:
Greatness is superior to longevity. Anyone who argues with that is worthless as far as I'm concerened. Angle came up with a personal definition for greatness and put everything he had towards achieving it, there's nothing wrong with that. Did he make mistakes? Certainly. Does he have regrets? I'm sure he does. But he wanted success, fame, physical prowess, etc. on a level that most of you will never see and he got it.

I'm certain if you ask him now, he'd do things a bit differently, but if he hasn't had the life he has, how do you know he wouldn't have regreted NOT doing what he's done? How many assholes go through life wondering what they COULD have accomplished, if only they had tried or worked a little harder or capitalized on an opportunity somewhere along the lines.

Here's a guy who did what it took to become his Platian form of greatness. I can't find fault in that. His life is not a paradigm to base my own on, but I refuse to disrespect him for going after what he wanted with everything he had. To sacrifice your potential just so you can squeeze a couple more years out of your life is silly and selfish to me.

Tuesday they sent in the grizzled veteran firefighter to inadvertently shake up the class. Tell a bunch of horror stories (the guy has been been in more burn wards than i have fingers and toes) and check the fortitude of the cadets. I will be knocking years off my life and damaging my very quality of life as I age in the career I have chosen. But there is no part of me that says it's not worth doing.

Kurt is no role model (I don't believe people should really have role models), but he is definitely an inspiration. I'm certain he inspired tens of thousands of people to better themselves. Can you really speak ill of a man who's accomplished so much more than so many?

you don't know him, so you aren't sure of anything.

Yes I have seen and helped athletes prepare for world and olympic competition. Yes it was in wrestling.
If Kurt Angle really trained that way, and was able to survive it, congratulations to him. But I think it was a fluke.
I intend no disrespect to his accomplisments.

Fedorable said:
you don't know him, so you aren't sure of anything.
Yet, despite never seeing him train or being capable of being his trainer, you had no problem diagnosing he was probably overtraining.

Urban said:
Yet, despite never seeing him train or being capable of being his trainer, you had no problem diagnosing he was probably overtraining.

in my opinion, using my common sense, probably. in my opinion you and KK have some intelligence. But you are doing the same thing, but taking the other side, but when you do it, you somehow feel mighty.

I never discredited him, he's my favorite wrestler of all time. I never said he was definately over-training.

in my opinion, using my common sense, he must have felt he was achieving greatness. I couldn't see anyone getting to where he's been without desiring to be there.

in my opinion, using my common sense, he probably has a regret or two now.

I don't get how your assessment of his training capacity is any more valid than mine of his mindset. Yet you feel your criticism of my post is perfectly sound.

Shut your hole Fed.

Urban said:
in my opinion, using my common sense, he must have felt he was achieving greatness. I couldn't see anyone getting to where he's been without desiring to be there.

in my opinion, using my common sense, he probably has a regret or two now.

I don't get how your assessment of his training capacity is any more valid than mine of his mindset. Yet you feel your criticism of my post is perfectly sound.

Shut your hole Fed.

you need to learn your 3 I's

how many pro-wrestlers do you know?

Quite a few. I taught a Masters class in Martial Arts and Stunt Choreography at the film school I went to in Florida, and used some guys who were training for the IWA (local Indie promotion down there) because they were very well-rounded when it came to being able to perform stunts.

Yes I have seen and helped athletes prepare for world and olympic competition. Yes it was in wrestling. If Kurt Angle really trained that way, and was able to survive it, congratulations to him. But I think it was a fluke. I intend no disrespect to his accomplisments.

I don't know why you'd think it was a fluke. I don't think he's so hurting for money he needs to lie to sell his book. What point is there to lying about how one prepped for Athletic competition so many years ago? Especially knowing one's proneness to children attempting to emulate and how America witch-hunts any athlete who MIGHT be somewhat communicating detrimental systems in the name of "saving the children"...?

I'm not saying he's not embellishing or perhaps even exaggerating. I'm not even saying he's telling the truth. What I'm saying is no one here can say either way. And furthermore, half of the sentiments of disbelief just resemble people's own dissatisfaction with their own positions.

Kurt would not have been the first, nor will he be the last to have a regime this intense, this level, if not more. Yet it befuddles me how Athletes get more scrutiny than anyone for getting better at what they do. It could perhaps be an indicator of what he was capable of as an individual, and perhaps that might be what set him apart from everyone else, balanced by it being short-lived. I'd rather look at it that way than attempt to discredit or slight his career with uconfirmed suspicions.

You're right KK. Pro-wrasslers are role models. I now feel bad for them and the pain that they are subjected to. Olympic athletes are all clean. All pro athletes are natural. In conclusion, I'm a changed man. There you fucking have it, viola.

Love,

Baurt

Don't forget. Anytime anyone tests positive for perfomance enhancing substances.

FALSE POSITIVE!! THE DOCTOR PERSCRIBED IT!! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT WAS!!

Back