Kron Gracie 2008 Pan Am match

Nice vid and great display by Kron. Wish I had just 10% of his skill lol.

IMO the only reason he doesn't have his blackbelt is that Rickson doesn't want him to lose. Or wants him to be at a level where he stands a good chance of winning.

Technically and performance wise he is better then most blackbelts. I can't think of any other reason for him not to have a blackbelt.

I think that's pretty much dead on but I don't think it's a case of "sandbagging" that others have thrown around various other threads around here. I think Rickson is looking out for Kron's best interests. What if he made him a black last year and then Kron started getting worked in competitions? People would be going absolutely bat shit crazy over the fact that "Rickson's son sucks!" or "Rickson's BJJ is outdated!" or other such nonsense. Besides the kid is only 19. I'm actually looking forward to him growing into his frame so to speak. I'm not sure he will contend in the absolute at black belt in the near future. But how about in 3 or 4 years? With another inch on him? And maybe 15-20 more pounds? Could be fun to watch.

With his success (or I guess ANY high-level bjj player), is he destined for mma? There's not alot of money(that I know of) in bjj otherwise.

I think we all agree that he is up for a BB at World this year.

I asked my instructor if he thought Kron should have been promoted already, and he said "No, let him cook a little bit." I can understand that Rickson wants him to have experience and confidence when it's time to fight the best black belts in the world.

IMHO (which really means nothing!) i think its great to see him at brown belt kicking ass with his style and i think its good for jiu jitsu in general. After all brown belt is no easy task to win over and over again but to submit everyone is just magic to watch!:D

How would Marcelo vs. Kron turn out? At 19, Kron is giving up a lot of strength and experience, and would most likely get destroyed. Now, some may think this isn't quite a fair standard to hold a new blackbelt to, but I don't think Rickson wants to promote his son and protegeuntil he is at a level - both physically and mentally - where he will not get destroyed by anyone. It may be wishful thinking to expect Kron to be a world champion at blackbelt the year he is promoted, but I think Rickson is trying to protect his son by making sure he isn't totally overmatched by the top tier blackbelts at/around his weight when he finally promotes him either.

Rickson isn't Jesus. I'm sure he's done a lot worse than sandbag in his day.

Of course he isn't. But who would know better what the criteria for a RICKSON Gracie Blackbelt are?

Some poster on an internet forum or uuumhhhh... Rickson Gracie??

wow it's the first time that i saw the crucifix position actually used/work in high lvl bjj....

so hes not a beginner?

Back