Krav Maga and grappling techniques...

Well the guy that was on deadliest warrior on the Krav Maga episode was in one of the early UFC. He got worked.

Well the guy that was on deadliest warrior on the Krav Maga episode was in one of the early UFC. He got worked.

yeah, because any of us casual BJJ practitioners could take on a roided out prime Mark Coleman:rolleyes:. Moti Horenstien has a black belt in judo, trained as a boxer and Muay Thai and training in some other martial arts at the time he was in UFC, the Krav label was just an acknowledgment of his heritage and military service. I've met the guy about three years ago at a Rigan Machado seminar, he was a blue belt in BJJ at the time. While his record of 2 and 5 wasn't that impressive he lost to those he should have lost to and beat the ones he should have. His performance was no surprise to anyone at the time.

Krav Maga in it's original form is a military training system, military training systems especially hand 2 hand are designed to be confidence builders, train basic responses to aggressive situations and do it all as quickly as possible during a training cycle. Kind of the same way Army combatives work, even though it is based off GJJ. You will be hard pressed to find a person that thinks the combatives program is equal to a legit BJJ school. I took Krav for about two years and one of the things they encourage at the decent schools is cross training in other arts.

The biggest problem with Krav these days is the trademark and franchise battles that have been spawned. Add to that association with McDojo type organizations and customizing the art to fit the average housewife that doesn't want to get hit or have someone sweat on them and you have something that is Krav only in name.

To the TS, as for their ground fighting techniques they are heavily based off judo and recently BJJ as Lichtenstein (founder of Krav) was a black belt in judo. Some of the techniques have been overly inundated with the "eye gouge/nut shot" techniques. Which unfortunately has caused something of a drift away from sound techniques for the "dirty shortcut". The basic idea though isn't to engage in a ground fight, it is to perform in a manner that allows you to get up off the ground and beat feet out of the area.

Here you go TS, this should give you all you need to know about Krav Maga and grappling techniques:

Just keep in mind though, that the entire reason behind the real world usefulness of Judo,BJJ,Boxing,Wrestling, etc. etc.is the ability to work technique at full speed and practice with genuine resistance while minimizing injury. You simply won't recall/be able to use any real technique unless you have performed it under stress and resistance many times. That is what combat sport gives the practitioner, and it can't be replaced with any amount of theoretical or low resistance sparring. Or even good resisting sparring for part of a class one day.

Not to mention that people forget how much less an eye or nut shot matters against an opponent flooded with adrenaline. People have been stabbed and shot in serious fights and needed to be TOLD they were injured and should lay down.

If you are really concerned with personal self defence, get a knife and learn how to use it, and spend a fair amount of time learning to run fast. 99% of "reality based self-defence" taken care of right there.

Addressing the efficacy of KM ground moves, like I said it doesn't matter how good they are. They could be team taught by Dan Gable and Rickson Gracie and it wouldn't matter. Unless they are drilled and practiced hard over and over and over and over until you can do them right with no warning or concious thought. If you haven't sprawled a thousand times for real, god help you trying to use it right in a real fight.

I seen UFC so I know the moves bro, do not tell me I need to practice.

Honestly though we got a few beginners in our classes and they come from training UFC. And pretty much they all said that they were aware of what is going on because they heard Rogan talk about it but they had no idea how to stop it. I.e. getting caught in trianlge, they knew what it was but no idea what to do etc...

Hahaha. Actually, I WAS on this season of The Deadliest Warrior.......and KM wins!

Handling bidness. Yes, that is me=p

Back